Boggers... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Boggers...

First of I would like to say happy birthday Rick.

Next I would like to let you guys know what tires I just had put on my 91 xl explorer. 33" 14's super swamper boggers. This made such a big diff. from what I had on before. I went up in the hills sunday, it was very wet and muddy. One of my friends went with me also, he has a suzuki samurai which has a v6, and is all locked up. I went up hills that he couldn't. man that made me feel good. it was nasty up there but those tires worked awsome. If you guys wanna see a picture let me know. Then i'll take one asap..

take care

Got mud?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would like to see photos! If you have them on a server you can link them to this forum (there's instructions on the message boards FAQ.

If you don't have them on a server you can send them to me in e-mail.

Thanks for the B-day wishes!

Rick

Hey Rick,

Thanks for the reply. I got a digital camera at work. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow. And i'll e-mail you a before boggers and after pic.

These boggers aren't gonna stay on for long, i'm selling them to a friend and then i'll put on some 35' 14.50's. That's after the 3" body lift.

There's something else i'll been wanting to ask you. I'll got a bunch of friends here in the Olympic peninsula. They are all wanting to start a 4x4 club/website. Would you be interested in doing it on your site ? this would be with updated pictures of your bogs.

please let me know.

take care,

i'll = i've

Oknut,

The boggers are awesome offroad. What do you think of their street performance? My experience is that they're extremely loud and tend to wander somewhat. What do you think? Is your rig a daily driver? Did you mount them on 10" wheels?

I'm running 33x12.50 Swamper SSR's and like them very much -- a good mix for on and off-road. The noise level is surprisingly low, and they give a very comfortable ride.

I'm sure the boggers give your rig a nice, muscular look. Have fun with them!

------------------
DOGMAN
91 4dr 5sp
5.5" Superlift
"Downhill is just uphill in the opposite direction"

Dogman,

Your experience about the boggers is correct, but I want this explorer to be the best for offroad. it's not my daily driver. although, I showoff, by driving around town once in a while.

I've got some big plans for this explorer. I'll mention some: 9" rear end, lock it up, dana 44 solid front end out of a F250 from 79. I'm in the face of finding out which motor to put in it. I have no idea so far which ones will actually work. But I want a 302 or 351 carb. plus lots more.

I've heard the ssr's are great on road, but how are they offroad ?

Take care,

got mud?

Oknut,

Your buildup sounds awesome. I'm planning an injected 302 in the foreseeable future myself. Good luck on yours.

I've just had the SSR's on for not quite 2 weeks, and havn't been offroad yet. I'll let you know when I do.

------------------
DOGMAN
91 4dr 5sp
5.5" Superlift

Dogman,

Please tell me why you wanna go with the injected 5.0L.

I've been looking at the difference in the newer and older ones, and there's a huge diff. in power. The older style 302 gt comes with 320 hp, where the never one has 210. And that's not even including the performance intake manifold, cam plus lots of other things. I just figure that it's less of a pain to get an older motor. No sencors to worry about and no computer. And you can get way more horses out of it.

Where are you from ? maybe we can do some 4xing sometime.

Take care dog,

got mud?

Oknut,

One of the many reasons I want an injected motor is that they perform better at extreme angles and high altitude. They tend to be more trouble free, in my opinion. They adjust to the outside temp better also. I've just gotten used to the worry free performance of computer controlled, fuel injected motors. I had a 1988 Mustang GT before my Explorer, and that motor was perfect, never a hiccup. My Explorer has 217K one-owner miles, relatively trouble free. So that's where my opinion is based.

Also, there are many ways to extract enormous amounts of horsepower out of an injected, computer controlled 302.

I'd like to get together sometime, but it looks like you live in Washington somewhere, and I live in the Kansas City area. Maybe we can meet up on a future Explorer Run. I'm heading to Moab in May, what about you?

------------------
DOGMAN
91 4dr 5sp
5.5" Superlift

Dogman,

I can see your point with the newer motor, but then again i've also seen older motors go 300k plus miles with little problems. Such as the straight 6 that they but in the F150.

I have 240k miles on my explorer and it's still running strong, but the way that i'm running it in the hills these days it's not gonna last much longer.

But first i'm gonna get the straight axel swap and then 5.12 gears, maybe even 5.86's. lock it up and then 39.5 18" boggers. After that i'm gonna install the motor. By that time I should have made up my mind what motor to get.

The reason I like the older motors is the fact that they are so easy to work on, plus it's cheap to get performance parts. One thing I hate about the never ones is the selection of products out there.

Please let me know where the moab is located and i'll get back to you on that.

take care,

[This message has been edited by Oknut (edited 03-09-2000).]

Oknut,

Just to echo Dogman's note on fuel injection. I've been on a few offroad trips now and can tell you that I would never consider carbs for a serious offroad vehicle. Several of the Jeeps in our group had carbs and whenever they started tackling obstacles at extreme angles their engines would always cough and/or die, and they would have to restart while perched pointing skyward on the middle of some obstacle. Since the engine died in the first place partially because the carb wasn't feeding fuel well at that extreme angle, it often took awhile to get restarted while they were in the same position, or they had to back off with a dead motor to get going again. Retreating backwards off of a severe obstacle with a dead engine can escalate the "pucker" factor quite a bit.

That doesn't happen with fuel injection. Just something to think about if you are trying to build a serious offroad rig.

Where on the Olympic peninsula? Do you know where Neah Bay is? All the way out to the end. I have family there (Makah Indians; my aunt was named Neah and was the daughter of the Indian chief) and have visited a few times. The area is awesomely beautiful.

------------------
Gerald
"Nerves of Steel; Brain of Chipmunk"
~~~~~~~~~
'99 Eddie Bauer 4x4 4.0L SOHC aka "The Jeepeater"
Mods listed in my Explorer Registry post 7/8/99
Dead Link Removed "What the heck is he doing out here in that thing?"

[This message has been edited by GJarrett (edited 03-09-2000).]

OKNUT!,
You said Olympic Peninsula! I know where that is! It's here! It's great to hear about another modified Explorer around me, I don't know if there are many others...That's cool you want to start a club...If you want I'm going up to Reiter Road in Steven's Pass, Saturday March 25th to do some wheelin' with some friends(an F150, and an S-10), and you are welcome to come along. I will have my new 33s installed by then, and I'll be testing out my 4.56s off-road for the first time. Anyway, with the weather clearing up lately, it should be a nice day to bog around in the mud.
Mat

------------------
1992 Ford Explorer XLT
Interested in trucks..?
Me too. Check out my web page.
MatnChad.com
www.matnchad.com

GJarret and Mat R,

Well first of, I haven't made up my mind yet regarding what motor to get. I see your point, but it's also posible to convert a carb into an injected motor. Either i'm gonna get a wrecked explorer with the 302 or go with the old style. But then again if I get an older/new motor there are so many things that need modification. And yes I do know the Makah's, one of my friends is a makah, great people.

I'm located in Sequim, where are you Mat ? We are trying to start a 4x4 club already here and we're also talking about making a website. Maybe you would like to be a part of it.

Instead of going to steven's on the 25th, why don't we hit the hills this weekend ? a bunch of my friends and I are gonna go 4xing. you should come along.

Mat, why are you going with 33's ? if you've got 4.56's gearing ? all that's gonna happen is that you'll be wanting to go bigger. I regret getting my 33" 14" boggers already. I wish I would have gotten a body lift and some 35" 14.50's... Oh well, now I got way bigger plans for the truck.

Take care guys,

Got mud ?

Hey Mat,

What kinda lift do you have ?

The reason i'm asking is because when I do my straight axel swap, I won't be needing the superlift no more.. And I would sell it cheap. just the front. The rear is cheap anyway, it's just the spring over conversion.

I would also give you the sway bar drop brackets.

see ya

Hey Mat,

The reason i'm asking is because when I do my straight axel swap, I won't be needing the superlift no more.. And I would sell it cheap. It's only been on the truck for about a month. just the front. The rear is cheap anyway, it's just the spring over conversion.

see ya

Hey Mat,

The reason i'm asking is because when I do my straight axel swap, I won't be needing the superlift no more.. And I would sell it cheap. It's only been on the truck for about a month. just the front. The rear is cheap anyway, it's just the spring over conversion.

see ya

I'm sorry about that, someone please delete the last two messages. thanks

Oknut,
I live in Woodinville technically, but I am actually more in Redmond, which is next to Bellevue, which is next to Seattle...Unfortunately, I can't go this weekend because I am going snowboarding on Saterday and have plans on Sunday.

Guess what? I went out and bought 33s today! I found an ad in Little Nickel for Land Rover ATs for $225 new! They're on my truck right now! Hows that for an impulse buy!

The way I figure is I am going to run these mild tires for now, and then when I have enough money in about a year or so, I am going to buy a car to use as a daily driver. Then all bets are off, we're talking a rebuilt engine, prerunner fiberglass, and some big ol' meats....

Oh, and my lift if 2" of body, and 2.5" via a James Duff suspension lift

Yes, I would definitely be interested in the lift, I've been planning on buying the James Duff 4", but I'd rather pick one up at a discount. Do you have the 4" or the 5.5"?

So what about the 25th? Since you're in sequim it might be a bit of a drive. If you have any ideas of someplce to go thats inbetween us that would be cool.

Mat

------------------
1992 Ford Explorer XLT
Interested in trucks..?
MatnChad.com
www.matnchad.com

Hey Mat,

I'm not sure if I can make it to Stevens the 25th, I don't plan ahead that far. Plus it would be a long drive with boggers.

As for the lift, it's the 5,5" superlift. What i'm getting is a front end swap/lift kit. it's a total of 10" of susp lift. plus all the hook ups for the front end. I believe they are 8 or 9" coils for the front sitting on a straight axel, 6" rear leafs on 3" blocks. This lift will cost me $2400 and that's not even including the front end or the lockers/gears. costly but surely worth it.

So all that you wouldn't get from my 5.5" would be the rear pad for the spring over and the brake lines. I would even give you the shocks also. They are procomp 3000's. then you could run duals all round.

What do you think would be a good price for that ?

As for meeting someplace in between Sequim and Seattle. We could figure something out. Or you guys should come over here for the Easter run that we have planned.

Take care bro,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oknut,
I will just e-mail you so that we aren't swamping the forum with our messages.
Mat

------------------
1992 Ford Explorer XLT
Interested in trucks..?
MatnChad.com
www.matnchad.com

Back