44" boggers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

44" boggers

Hi everyone,

Just thought you would all be interested in what I just did. I have been working on my explorer for a long time now and i'm getting closer and closer to having it complete. I still need to do all the little things like brake lines, fiberglass fenders, cross over streering etc.

I have the explorer on a website and we put 44" bogger on it today. the addy is my.tenforward.com/spaceport/4x4/
just click on the red explorer on the home page, then conversion. Please get back to me and let me know what you think.

If any of you were wondering, it's got a 19" custom lift on it.

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

knut4b.jpg

Well take care and have fun in the hills,
Oknut

[Edited by Oknut on 12-30-2000 at 06:41 PM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I must say your Explorer is BAD A$$!!! That is the first Explorer or should I say Ford truck (all the truck stuff you added) with 44's! Did you narrow the 2 axles any? What do you use the Explorer for mostly? Mud? You should bring that bad boy out to Moab for all of us to see next year!

That's one HUGE BAD AS$ EXPLODER!!!

That's amazing! The Explorer looks like a toy on top of those giant 44's.

Would you like to have your Explorer featured on this website? We would be honored to have you!

Also, any chance of getting hi-res images from the thumbnails on your website?

Thanks,

Rick

Hey Brian,

The axles are full size, the bogeers are sitting about 15 inhes outside of the fenders. I need to get some different rims with about 3 inches of backspacing. the ones that are on it have 1 inch offset. Then i'm gonna make some custom fender flares/complete fenders that are about 4 inches wide. I actually went with leaf springs in the front instead of coils, it's easier to get that much lift with leafs.

Well it's gonna be a great mud truck, but I also like the trails, I will do hill climbs, but I know that I will be to wide to go some of the places where a stock explorer will be able to go. I figure instead of going around the tree, go right over it.

If you have more questions please fell free to ask.

Take care
Oknut

P.S. thanks Daemon

[Edited by Oknut on 12-02-2000 at 09:59 PM]

Hi rick,

You should send me a message on ICQ, my number is 8230279.. I have a picture that's a little better then the ones on the web site.

Oknut

Hi again rick,

When I am done with the whole conversion I would be honored to have my explorer posted on your site. We are taking as many pictures as posible while building it.

In about two weeks i'm getting a full role cage, front and rear custom build bumpers with winch mounts front and rear. traction bars, triple shock mounts. dual flowmaster with 2.5 inch pipe.

If you have a cool banner that I can use on my web page, then I would be very interested.

Where is the moab located ?

Take care,
Oknut

wow.

holy wang, that is one awesome explorer. take some pictures of it in action for us to see!

You're the first one I've seen that has the guts to do it. Nice....very nice. Great Job!!!!

Moab is in Utah by the way.

I think you need a warning sticker...
DANGER... MORE LIKELY TO ROLL AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS... AVOID SUDDEN LANE CHANGES AND INSTANT BRAKING...
LOL Looks great! I'd like to se some pics of it on some trails!

AT least your not like the guy a while back who claimed he had all this outlandish stuff on his Explorer but everyone knew he didn't you have the pics to prove it :). I'm curious what are you using for axles in that thing?

Originally posted by mattadams
I think you need a warning sticker...
DANGER... MORE LIKELY TO ROLL AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS... AVOID SUDDEN LANE CHANGES AND INSTANT BRAKING...

I was thinking of a Sticker on the front that said more along the lines of "Don't get in my way, You'll regret it"

hehehe

oh yeah..i just sent you an e-mail before i saw this thread on here, so disregard some of what i said. lol Dead Link Removed

Bad A$% Truck. Never seen an explorer w/ 44's. Idea for sticker on back window:
1)www.explorer4x4.com
2)Smile as you go under! :)

More pics..

Hey guys,

The truck isn't ready to hit the trails yet. Still doesn't have drive lines, brake lines or streering. But when I get it all done I will make sure to send you guys some more pictures of it in action.

How many of you are heading down to the moab ? If I go down there I expect some of you to come up here for some mudding. I live in Washington.

Matt,
It's got a high pinion dana 44 in the front and a dana 60 in the rear. I have been looking for a dana 60 for the front, but no luck so far. The only thing that I don't like about full size axles under an explorer, is that the tires stick out about 15 inches in the front.

Later,
Oknut

All I can say is nice! Very nice!
Love the boggers, nuttin but the best!
Pete

I LOVE the truck... Definitely unique. One question for you though, where in Washington are you? I am in the Everett area. I saw a Navajo a while back with 38" boggers up in Marysville...that gave me many ideas. Thanks for fueling the fire!!!

Cmnavajo,

I live in the olympic peninsula, close to Port Angeles. What was this guy running for axles and engine. Was he running the skinny 38" 11" boggers ?

rick and I have been talking about having a run here in Washington, how many of you would be interested in that ?

I don't know what axles or engine was in the Navajo, I didn't get a chance to really go over it. I think it is owned by a customer of a 4x4 shop in Marysville. They have some pretty "insane" vehicles there. I saw an Isuzu Amigo with 44s the last time I was up there! That vehicle wasn't done yet, but I think they were running a 14-bolt rearend with some type of 4-link setup, so I'm sure the Navajo was adequately equipped. As for an Explorer run here in Washington, I think it would be great, but I would probably have more fun watching. I know everyone here will probably hate me for saying this, but I have decided not to abuse my Navajo anymore. Of course, that is after I had showed the non-believers just how capable the stock rigs are. I now use a nasty '79 bronco for all the trail use and snow runs.

I know that a stock explorer will go places, but it gets hard when there's ruts, if you get high centered or if you have to go trough a some mud. If it's stock you better stay close to the main road.

But your always welcome to come watch, the ideal thing would be to camp out for the weekend. bring your bronco.

Yeah, that's mostly what happened....I would get high-centered on everything from rocks, to snow and ice. I got tired of sliding uncontrollably down greasy-mud hills into things that cause body damage (stumps, rocks) and spending hours digging the snow and ice out from under my Navajo when it would get high centered. That is why I got the bronco. It has plenty of body damage already (mostly from the previous owner) and I am almost finished with the 6" suspension lift. I plan to run 15-35-15 TSL swampers and I have an 8,000 lb winch with dual batteries, etc. I would still like to watch the explorers run though, so I guess I will check back more often to keep in touch about it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I still think you should bring your bronco, everyone is welcome. I have some friends up here with broncos. I just wonder how many people would be interested in hitting the trails in washington. We have some killer trails and even some mud holes where most truck will get stuck in. Even if you have 44" boggers.

Back