• Register Today It's free!

Brakes

haphop

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000XLT 5.0
I have been doing my own brakes for over 40 yrs but with the internet, I'm still learning new tricks.

The most popular method pump and bleed w/ a helper but is not the best method.
Best is the pressure followed by the vacuum methods.
Now I have learned of the gravity method, so I decided to put it to test.

I guesstimate that replacing 24oz of fluid would purge most or all of the old fluid out. So, I picked up a qt of Autozone's Dot 3
I went to the Dollar store to get a turkey baster but they didn't have any, so, I picked up a bottle of hand soap that has a pump in it for a $1.00.
I took soap pump and used it to remove fluid from the reservoir which worked better than, a turkey baster and cheaper.
Refilled reservoir with new fluid.
Started with right rear I opened the bleeder, connected 1/4" tubing to an empty jar. It took over an hour to bleed off 3-4oz.
The left rear went a little faster but not much. The two front's bleed fast in about 10 minutes. I bleed 3-4 oz from each caliper.
Be sure to keep check on the master cylinder. You do not want to run it dry.

Now for the test. Whooaa! Pedal went to the floor! Not having anyone around to pump for me, I pumped the brakes 3-4 times and then, wedged a stick from the seat with the pedal down about 3/4. Then, opened a bleeder and closed. Repeated 2 times on each wheel. That got most of the air out and I was able to drive it.

Air most likely got in from the slow gravity bleed on the back as I had opened the bleeder over a turn. Next time I will only open them a 1/4 turn.

This is the second time to replace front brake pads, first time at 88k miles and now with 188k mi. OEM Motorcraft pads have really lasted. I went back with Duralast as I expect to be trading this vehicle in the next couple of years. The rotors looked good so, didn't turn them. I replaced the fluid and then the pads so as not to push old fluid and crud back into the lines. Could not locate my 4" c-clamp, had to get the caliper kit loaner from Autozone. I could not figure out how those adapter's fitted on the caliper piston but was able to make it work using a thin board.

Happy brakes.

2000XLT 5.0 2w 188k mi

Back