Breather cap on crank vent? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Breather cap on crank vent?

1997XLTRollover

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 AWD 5.0
Hey guy's, I'm tired of getting my intake crapped up with the crankcase venting right into the TB. I just cleaned everything up for this new engine and want to keep it clean. Do you guys think it will cause any issues if I vent to a breather and just cap the TB opening? I'm wondering if there will be a "vacuum leak" if I do this because now the PCV valve will be technically pulling air from the breather or am I over thinking this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump. I know someone has to have done this. Nothing?

Has no one actually ever bypassed this? I feel like every 5.0L Ex I've had, the TB was disgusting and had to be cleaned because of this. I'm shocked no one has ever done it.

No you can not vent to atmosphere. All air in the engine and manifold are metered by the mass air sensor. The PCV system must remain sealed to the engine BUT you can add a oil separator if you would like. The only thing is you have to drain it and make sure it doesn't cause a blockage.

No you can not vent to atmosphere. All air in the engine and manifold are metered by the mass air sensor. The PCV system must remain sealed to the engine BUT you can add a oil separator if you would like. The only thing is you have to drain it and make sure it doesn't cause a blockage.

So even if I plug the manifold, the crankcase being vented like the old 302's using a valve cover breather causes a problem?

Thanks guys, I had a feeling that was the case. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good oil separator so I don't garbage up my intake after all this work cleaning it out?

EDIT: Just thought of this. How about if I cap the PVC too on the intake and put a breather on the crank case back there as well?

Found this bad boy: Thoughts on this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-T...131003132420&rk=2&rkt=6&sd=230908234818&rt=nc

Back