Buying AWD explorer quick question? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buying AWD explorer quick question?

All V8's use the 4 speed. All 6 cylinders use the 5 speed. Simple.

Bill

why didnt they put a 5 or even 6 speed behind the v8?
yet the v6 they use a 5 speed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My guess was Ford was more concerned about acceleration than fuel economy at that time.

The 5 speed is why these trucks earned the nickname "Exploder". Though once the 5 speed self-destructs and it's rebuilt properly, i.e., the way it should have been built from the start, the rebuilt unit will outlast the rest of the truck!

Bill

My old sohc sport had 250,000 miles on it original transmission. They will last if they are well taken care of.

If the V6 was too much for the 5 speed after 150k, the V8 would murder it IMO. In the 90's gas wasn't an issue. I'm guessing they felt safer with the 4 speed.

all the automatic v8's use the 4R70W transmission. they seem to be more robust and reliable than the 5R55E and 4R55E auto transmissions which came with the v6's.
I recall now...

The 5r55e transmissions are the worst IMAO. Actually, I got this one at a JY, but get this, it worked. lol, rarity indeed, but a fortunate rarity at worst.:eek:

Back