Buying AWD explorer quick question? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buying AWD explorer quick question?

alotaglock

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1989 Toyota Pickup
Hey all I am new here with a quick question. I am wanting to buy a 1998 supposedly AWD explorer. It is two hours away. The guy says that it is a XLT limited with all time AWD. He also told me that it is rear wheel drive but if the tires slip it kicks in the front wheels. I am not sure if the guy is an idiot or not, because I am not familiar with that system. My friend has a 1997, on the side badge it is black and says AWD underneath. This one just has a chrome V8 symbol. It is in great shape inside and out, no rust, newer tires, and has 157K miles on it. Can anyone tell me by looking at the pictures if this explorer is all time AWD or have buttons on the dash to make it AWD/4x4? Also what would you guys value this explorer at based on description and pictures? Not sure how to post pictures so I copied the link to the listing. Thank you, Aaron

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/3940078197.html

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey all I am new here with a quick question. I am wanting to buy a 1998 supposedly AWD explorer. It is two hours away. The guy says that it is a XLT limited with all time AWD. He also told me that it is rear wheel drive but if the tires slip it kicks in the front wheels. I am not sure if the guy is an idiot or not, because I am not familiar with that system. My friend has a 1997, on the side badge it is black and says AWD underneath. This one just has a chrome V8 symbol. It is in great shape inside and out, no rust, newer tires, and has 157K miles on it. Can anyone tell me by looking at the pictures if this explorer is all time AWD or have buttons on the dash to make it AWD/4x4? Also what would you guys value this explorer at based on description and pictures? Not sure how to post pictures so I copied the link to the listing. Thank you, Aaron

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/3940078197.html

AWD is pretty well-liked. No buttons or other controls are provided. Not very much can go wrong with Ford's AWD. Heavy-duty operation involving towing or heavy acceleration taxes the system. Disregard claims, "experts", others seeking to make a buck: AWD has no controls in the cab. Badges, I do not know. imp

Obviously, you can look underneath and see if it is AWD. Probably is, would not think owner would advertise it like that if it was not since it easy to tell. Tires are worth over $500 alone, car looks in good shape, probably drives okay, you just need to check it out. things I do not like are rust underneath, leaks (I always crawl up underneath when looking at a car), transmission shudder (not too uncommon on these), exhaust manifold crack, paint condition, how it drives. I would want to know the vehicle history, like why it has such relatively low miles for a 98, make sure it did not sit somewhere for years you can use a carfax or similar.

You can fix anything on it with the help of this forum.

if it's a V8 it's AWD.

if it's a V8 it's AWD.

Yes. the 5.0 v8 only came in AWD i believe it is just a straight forward split of power 65-35 rear to front... no buttons to mess with or anything.. drives amazing in the winters up here in Minnesota. The AWD is not so great on gas however... if it is a v6 then it will not be AWD. The tires are good and the rims dont look factory to me. as far as value, I would value it closer to 2000 maybe 2500... i bought my explorer same options as yours with the v8 awd leather brand new tires for 3k. it only had 100k miles on it then. yours also looks cleaner than mine. not a great deal but not bad either.. i wouldnt hesitate if everything checks out on it... definitely an amazing truck..

If you can feel front or rear "kicking in" then there's a problem with the silicone fluid coupling in the transfer case. AWD in these units should be seamless and will split power front/rear depending on slippage. Front shouldn't spin without a rear wheel spinning as well. If it does there's pricey issues taking place.

Bill

There were 2wd V8 Explorers. However not as common as AWD. If the seller claims it's great in the snow then you can bet it's AWD. As far as the sellers comments to it being RWD and then the front kicks in I'd just would credit that to his not understanding how the AWD system works.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380408

yes there are 2wd V8 Explores and Mountaineers (i own one of each) but the OP was asking about 4x4 vs AWD. the ad pics look good. nice clean truck. i paid slightly more than $2k for a loaded 2000 Mountaineer AWD w/151k this past Feb. it was in decent shape but needed tires and the AWD was not a selling point in Ga.

They make 2wd 5.0 explorers!??

LXT?? Is this actually a trim or is the seller making up their own model? Just curious because its listed a few times so it must be intentional...

Sorry, random thought

There's a few 2wd V8's kicking around. Make sure the front shaft is in it. I've looked at more than one that the previous owners pulled when they went bad.

Thanks for the replies. Drove out there and it had a lot more problems than the seller listed. The transmission was clunking back and forth, not wanting to shift, then it felt like it was going to leave me stranded. I nursed it back to their driveway told them to have fun trying to sell it.. I found a 98 jeep 5.9 with 100,000 instead. Thanks again for the replies. Aaron

Thanks for the replies. Drove out there and it had a lot more problems than the seller listed. The transmission was clunking back and forth, not wanting to shift, then it felt like it was going to leave me stranded. I nursed it back to their driveway told them to have fun trying to sell it.. I found a 98 jeep 5.9 with 100,000 instead. Thanks again for the replies. Aaron
I was gonna say, around 150k is when the Explorer 4r55e/5r55e trannys go out. All day every day.

A Jeep? Well, this is where the paths diverge...

I was gonna say, around 150k is when the Explorer 4r55e/5r55e trannys go out. All day every day.

A Jeep? Well, this is where the paths diverge...

the V8's (which is what this was) use a different transmissions than the V6's. most of us feel the V8 trans is much more reliable.

The 5.9 Jeep was a one year only special edition. Good find! I was looking for one of those before my Explorer fell into my lap. I'd still snatch one up for the right price...

Bill

the V8's (which is what this was) use a different transmissions than the V6's. most of us feel the V8 trans is much more reliable.
But aren't they the same "named" trannys? Like the 4r55e is still in the V8 95-96?

Maybe that's why the 4r55e was so short lived. Too unreliable.

All V8's use the 4 speed. All 6 cylinders use the 5 speed. Simple.

Bill

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

But aren't they the same "named" trannys? Like the 4r55e is still in the V8 95-96?

Maybe that's why the 4r55e was so short lived. Too unreliable.

all the automatic v8's use the 4R70W transmission. they seem to be more robust and reliable than the 5R55E and 4R55E auto transmissions which came with the v6's.

Back