cam alignment tool issue | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cam alignment tool issue

I did install the tool on the cam (is slides down from the top) but it wasn't flush with the top of the tool that bolted to the head, I will tighten the remaining bolts and rotate the crankshaft 1 full rotation to bring me to tdc on compression and check to make sure everything lines up properly tonight when I get home.
If after I do this,and the crank is set to tdc, and the cam tool is installed correctly, and the cam position sensor is pointing up, then is it safe to say the cams are timed correctly?

tool 6480 & 6481

Tool 6480 in the OTC 6488 tool kit mates with the offset slot in the end of the camshaft. 6480 fits within 6481. It sounds like you timed both camshafts with the slot above the camshaft axis which is why 6480 did not drop flush with 6481. You probably have them timed correctly but I suggest that you recheck.

If you can install 6480 and 6481 on either camshaft while the crankshaft is at TDC, the camshaft position sensor tab is up and you installed the hydraulic tensioner tool when you torqued the camshaft sprocket retaining bolts then that is as close as you can get using the tool set and standard timing procedure.

Back