Can I replace 9004 with 9007? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I replace 9004 with 9007?

I cant find any posts relating to this, but i remember reading somewhere that the connections were the same and they looked the same on the 9004 and the 9007 bulbs.

I am thinking the packages tell you not to mix them becuase of the diffferent wattages and that they cant tell you your allowed to use over 55w on the street.

Has anyone tried this?
Does anyone have any useful info on it?

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, you need to do a conversion to make it work, I think while they look similar, two wires are crossed plus there is an extra tab or something. I seem to remember there being a post a while back abotu how to convert it...

Originally posted by Gigantor
I cant find any posts relating to this, but i remember reading somewhere that the connections were the same and they looked the same on the 9004 and the 9007 bulbs.

I am thinking the packages tell you not to mix them becuase of the diffferent wattages and that they cant tell you your allowed to use over 55w on the street.

Has anyone tried this?
Does anyone have any useful info on it?

Thanks in advance

The 9004 and 9007 bulbs use the same connector, but the high and low beam connections are reversed. Remember, with both, the center pin is ground. Probably a good time to go with a relay harness.

Also. the tabs on the base of the bulb are different, so you'd have to alter the 9007 bulb to get it to fit.

There is info on the web about switching (Google search). The filiments are placed differently on these bulbs and even though the 9007 is higher wattage I dont think you would get as good a light pattern. Probably just brighter with a chance of an offensive glare. There are plenty of higher wattage 9004 bulbs out there that would be better.

I was looking into the 9007 for the avalability of higher wattage blubs.
Once again the guys here on the site were a monster help with an answer that saved a few bucks. Now id just like to find those higher wattage 9004's that you, Bill Kemp, say are out there. I guess i'll have to turn to the web for them.

again i appreciate your help

skkkkeerrrttt, if you put in a higher wattage bulb then you gotta buy a higher wattage relay for it...or you'll be very sorry later

Where am i going to find a higher wattage relay? I already placed an order for the 80/100 bulbs lets hope i didnt waste my money. Maybe a new relay will be cheep, or what are the consequences? That i'll burn up the wires and then later down the line i'll have to replace them anyway?

You can find the wire harness kits all over. Just go to JC Whitney or even stop by the local Parts store. They should be able to order them for you.

Attachments

• wireharness.jpg
    wireharness.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 702

Back