Canvas Top

sn0border88

Master Apprentice
Reaction score
City, State
Souderton, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
I know ive seen a few canvas tops around here before but I cant find them now for some reason.

Later this year im chopping the top and putting in an exo cage, with the rear of the cage hopefully looking like a prerunner style spare tire carrier (slanted back, but braces the rest of the cage) I need to enclose it some how as this will still be my winter vehicle, I was plannin on putting the exo far enough out that I can install a canvas cover underneath.

My question is, how do I go about setting the rivets for the canvas and where can I get one made. Pictures to other covers would be great and info from others who have done this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

places that make boat covers......

sn0border88 said:
I know ive seen a few canvas tops around here before but I cant find them now for some reason.
I remember seeing some too. I think trckmagik or dejello (sp for both?) bought a white one from ebay or something like that.

IMG_1933.jpg

Here is a pic of my snap on vynle windows. I know you say top, but the same principles apply. This was made at an upholstry shop that does cars and boats. I took the door there and he did the rest. At one point he asked me if I wanted to put the snaps on the door since he had the ones allready on the window. I asked him how do they attach to the steel? He said all I would need is a pop rivet gun. But I said no. I'm not in that much of a hurry. He finished it next day.

Awsome, sounds like it wouldnt be that hard. ANy idea how much these places charge for stuff like this?

sn0border88 said:
Awsome, sounds like it wouldnt be that hard. ANy idea how much these places charge for stuff like this?

I had around 15 snaps total and remember he had to put on the tinted clear plastic to the vynle. Also there were some support straps on the inside to tighten up the window. There were no other shops around to get quotes. But it was worth every penny for me. Around $200 for both. He also made templates of mine so when I totally destroy them, all I have to do is call :confused:

here is a pic of mine. I made it myself. looks pretty good i think. I still need to add the window to it. I just used the snaps that have littke screws attached. I used the same canvas they use to make boat covers. I think i only paid like ten bucks for the fabric. Scraps from one of the boat shops.

Attachments

• IM000385.jpg
    IM000385.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 808
  • IM000386.jpg
    IM000386.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 450
  • IM000387.jpg
    IM000387.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 466

thats perfect, just was I was lookin for. Does it keep the weather out? Also I was thinkin of mountin the side for the roof underneath so rain wouldnt go under the canvas, what do you think?

sn0border88 said:
thats perfect, just was I was lookin for. Does it keep the weather out? Also I was thinkin of mountin the side for the roof underneath so rain wouldnt go under the canvas, what do you think?

that way would work as well. I think im going to mount some weather striping on that edge to help. But as of now i havent noticed any leaks. After every big rainstorm i check the inside and can't find any water anywhere.

Back