Climate control can't go into recirc by itself!? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Climate control can't go into recirc by itself!?

bitkahuna

Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Limited
It's been hot lately (yeah, really, lol), and my Explorer (Limited 2WD V8) has the automatic climate control.

Anyway, if it's really hot AND humid out (and it's always humid here in FL in the summer) then sometimes the AC doesn't seem to be able to get the humidity out of the air and the air feels not dry and slightly warmer than I want if that makes sense. So I turn on the recirculate button so no more outside air is going through and that makes it fine, but I don't care to keep turning recirc on and off (I don't want to leave it on all the time either).

Is Ford's climate control really that stupid that it can't turn on recirc mode?

Or is what I'm describing a bigger problem?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not stupid or defective, but per design.

When you normally start a sitting car and the climate control decides that the A/C is needed and kicks on, it's typically hot in the car... as thus you need the "sitting" hot air to be able to leave the vehicle as it cools, then as it cools, you can then switch to the recirc ....

I don't think i would want it to recirc immediately personally...

It's one thing not to switch to recirc immediately, but it won't EVER switch automatically, which is lame if the AC can't keep up with outside humidity. Where's the 'automatic' if I have to keep hitting recirc on of off? :rolleyes:

ouch the pain, the pain...

I personally wouldn’t want it to come on all the time by its self. I live in a humid place right near a lake, and well I flip mine on when I want it. If you wanted it to start up, then you could have bought the non-auto kind and just keep in on max a/c ;)

If you really want to take back the truck for that go ahead, but no car will turn it on for you. Or at least then wont in the sub 90k range ;) and even then I don’t think there is any. Not trying to be mean, but you know this isn’t one of the first things that cross the engineers minds. I have my Max A/C off most of the time because it gets too blasted cold, if it auto turned on it would tick me off. It’s easier to burn 4 calories to hit a button.

HardTech said:
If you really want to take back the truck for that go ahead, but no car will turn it on for you. Or at least then wont in the sub 90k range ;) and even then I don’t think there is any.

Every Lexus, even the cheapest ones (ES) has this feature. I guess I was spoiled. :rolleyes:

I really don't want it to go to recirc automatically. Just remember the last setting. If I turned it on, then let it be on when I restart the vehichle.

I can't speak for the newer models, but my for my 91, recirc occurs whenever I set the control to MAX A/C. It stays on all the time.
My wife's 2001 Caravan requires the recirc button to be pushed.

nleipziger said:
I really don't want it to go to recirc automatically. Just remember the last setting. If I turned it on, then let it be on when I restart the vehichle.

How??, every time I restart the SUV, the recirc is off

my 92 Taurus goes into recirculate whenever the sunload sensor says to, or when the temp difference between desired temp and actual temp is large. As the system cools the vehicle, when the tempature gets near the desired temp, it will switch into fresh air mode, and quiet down some since it's sucking air from outside. Personally I like how that works, and I believe they should all work that way. My mothers 00 mountaineer works that way as well.

I agree, Mav2k...... Mine works as yours does. I would like it to remember the last setting.

Odd, there are at least three different wants here among the members posting.

I have a 98 and 99, and I wish that I had a recirculate button. I like to use that most of the time if I can, Max AC is the only way to get it on older models, and then we have to adjust the temperature away from 60.

The vehicle should start with it off, to allow stale and wrong temperature air to be pushed out as quickly as possible. Recirculate is great to have in any traffic, and especially at traffic lights, or when you see a skunk.

I wish that recirculate also meant 100% recirculate. There is absolutely always some are being bled through from outside, whether off or when "recirculating." Older cars would allow no appreciable amount of outside air in when off, or on MAX AC. Regards,

My 06 EB has no recirc button. Its the first car I ever owned without one. I just know it kicks in when you switch to Max AC. My girl's 01 Sable is the same way.
________
clear trichomes

CDW6212R said:
Odd, there are at least three different wants here among the members posting.

I have a 98 and 99, and I wish that I had a recirculate button. I like to use that most of the time if I can, Max AC is the only way to get it on older models, and then we have to adjust the temperature away from 60.

They do have recirculate. That's what Max AC is. There's no temperature difference between Max and Normal AC. Max AC doesn't mean it's colder than Normal. It stands for Maximum Efficiency meaning it's the most efficient in cooling because it's pulling already cooled air from inside the cabin as opposed to air it totally has to pull from outside and work harder to cool. They just for some reason don't call it recirculate on the older vehicles.

I would just leave it on Max AC or Recirculate all of the time, it's easier on the system.

Many vehicles have a recirculate button, the pre 2002 models do not. I would prefer to control what air is brought in. MAX AC means 60 degrees, instantly. The temperature must be manually adjusted from that, each time. All other buttons do not set a specific temperature, the previous temperature is used.

briwayjones said:
They do have recirculate. That's what Max AC is.

We're talking about different things here - Explorers with automatic climate control don't have a "Max AC" mode.

There's no temperature difference between Max and Normal AC. Max AC doesn't mean it's colder than Normal. It stands for Maximum Efficiency meaning it's the most efficient in cooling because it's pulling already cooled air from inside the cabin as opposed to air it totally has to pull from outside and work harder to cool.

Temp. wise you might be right but - the recirc option DEFINITELY is more comfortable because the air is already dehumidified. And that's my complaint - the system can't keep up a lot of the time it seems and I'm getting humid air in the vehicle. I want it to go into recirc automatically like every vehicle I've ever owned with supposedly "automatic climate control".

I would just leave it on Max AC or Recirculate all of the time, it's easier on the system.

You CAN'T leave the car on Max AC or Recirculate all the time - recirc goes off when the car is turned off.

Ford blew it, but I can live with the annoyance.

bitkahuna said:
We're talking about different things here - Explorers with automatic climate control don't have a "Max AC" mode.

I was responding to CDW6212Rs post about pre 2002 explorers.

CDW6212R said:
Many vehicles have a recirculate button, the pre 2002 models do not. I would prefer to control what air is brought in. MAX AC means 60 degrees, instantly. The temperature must be manually adjusted from that, each time. All other buttons do not set a specific temperature, the previous temperature is used.

I'm not following you. If you want to bring in outside air set it to Normal AC, it you want to use the cabin air set it to Max AC.

Actually maybe I should ask this. Does your '98 have auto climate control? That might be the difference we're talking about here?

Back