Clunk up front when I release the brakes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clunk up front when I release the brakes

iteotwawki

Reaction score
City, State
Beaumont, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4X4
I just completed replacing my front rotors and brakes pads with the help of Glacier's awesome write up, and the problem I would hope go away remains. After coming to a stop, when I release the brakes I hear a slight "clunk" in the front end. :scratch: I'm sure it's related to the brakes, but I am open to suggestions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check brake caliper bracket bolts. Confirm the torque spec, usually lug nut tight. GL

EDIT- Sorry, failed to see it's a '92. All too common issue with the '95-'01 Gen 2 after servicing brakes.

Did you grease the caliper slide pins? Remember to install the single retainer clip on the inner brake pad?

A clunk can also be other problems showing up in terms of TTB movement, such as worn out radius arm bushings (allowing backward movement during braking, then forward movement when it "clunks" back into position), and ball joints. It can also be a good idea to double check that the wheel bearings aren't loose, sometimes even when done perfectly, they actually need to be adjusted ever so slightly tighter after being driven for awhile.

Check brake caliper bracket bolts.

Promise that you won't call me a dumb a$$, and I'll be willing to admit that I don't know what you're talking about. I saw that Glacier eluded to the bolts in his write up and I know what a caliper bolt is, but as far as I know, my 92 has floating calipers and the only thing keeping them attached to the vehicle is the keeper pins (V shaped pins). Tell me that I am wrong and where they exist.

Yes I greased the pins, and no, I did not install the clip as the pads did not have the clips in the box. In fact I have never used the clips. Do they go on the top or the bottom of the inside pad?

I'll look over the components tomorrow and reply, thanks for the info. :salute:

The source of the clunk might be not having the clips on the outer pad (if I'm not mistaken). I'm just guessing but it might be the pad moving around

i bet it is the radius arm bushings. if you dont see visible damage to them you could chock your front wheels or run them against a curb and have a trusting friend get beside the car on the ground to watch the play in the bushing as you lightly push agains tthe curb to confirm. GL

Not having the spring clip on the inner pads will cause them to move around and clunk. I had a clip I had to re-use for awhile that was broken, but still worked better than nothing, and it caused an audible clunk from that side caliper/pad under braking (and sometime after breaking when the pad shifted back), while the other side was always quiet.

Get new clips. Even if you have to buy a box at the parts store for a few bucks. Well worth it when it comes to brakes.

The clips go on the bottom / lower end of the inside brake pad.

I hate those clunk sounds we cant seem to find. Jack your truck up, suspend the front axle on jack stands. Push/pull the top and bottom of your wheel/tire (at the 12-6 o'clock position), if there is play in the ball joints, which you should be able to see, its your ball joints if your ball joints dont have play, its your wheel bearings. Mine (ball joints) are currently bad and in need of some attention, which I am getting ready to buy the parts needed to do the wheel bearings and balljoints. If you see no play in the ball joints take off your wheel and hubs and check, repack wheel bearings and retighten your spindle nuts. Inner nut hand tight then a good snug down (1/2 turn of the wrench), outter nut 200lbs. Hope that helps.

Oh, while your front axle is off the ground, also check the 3-9 o'clock positions. If there is play there, your steering needs some attention.

The Radius are Bushings would be my Bet.. The are located directly under the driver's and passenger's feet and where the clunk would originate from. The passenger side RA Bushing almost always goes out before the driver's because the CAT is so close it's heat deteriorates the bushing.

Back