D44 TTB VS Extended D35 TTB

bats

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 Bronco II
After the last wheeling trip it became apparent that I need to do something with the suspension on my Bronco II. I've tossed around the idea of a SAS for a while (and even went as far as aquiring an axle and re-gearing). Call me crazy, but I like the TTB. For my applications it works fine. Some bajaing through the woods and some rock crawling. I completely understand why pre-runners love the TTB setup. It just cruises over sand bumps like it's nothing. I have considered the usual drop bracket style lift but I'd like to kee the COG low.

So my plan is this: a 4WD pre-runner type setup with a wider TTB axle. Moderate lift and flex. The few inches of added track width should give me the stability that I want.

I have read all the threads (copykat, 410, 4x4junkie, etc) and narrowed it down to two options:

Dana 44 TTB - Add 1 inch to each beam and use with factory brackets. Cut and turn for approx 4 inches of lift. If I read correctly this will add a total of 8 inches to the front track width. Copykats brackets pop up once in a blue moon and while there are a few companies that have their own they're pretty spendy.

or

Dana 35 TTB - Cut and turn and extended. BTF offers this for a reasonable price with cores. Ream beams for D44 knuckles. This gives me the benefit of added track width, better brakes, wheel bearing spacing AND I can re-use my pumpkin.

Ideally setup with be run with my existing JD long arms and a coil/shock combo. Coilovers are awesome but way overkill for a fun truck.

What's every one's thoughts on the setups I mentioned? Is it worth the figuring and cost?

I vote SAS, but given your two choices, I'd say go with the D35. Sounds slightly less involved than the D44 and you'd keep your pumpkin.
What would you gain by going 44 over 35?

What size tires are you running and will be running? The D35 is a little less unsprung weight, and I believe gives you some extra ground clearance (1/16" or so) but obviously the D44 is stronger

33's are probably as big as I would go. Probably just get the bigger version of the General Grabber 2's I have on there now. Should be just right with the 4.56's.

I know SAS is generally the next step after playing with the TTB for a bit but I like the way it rides. Went wheeling in the Jersey Pine Barrens last week and my SAS'd friends looked like they were having a hell of a time keeping a straight line at higher speeds. The Bronco bounced along like it was nothing even with sloppy, misaligned steering.

The D44 has the benefit of bigger brakes and better wheel bearing spacing. BUT if I stuck with the D35 I could do the D44 knuckle swap and get most of those benefits. Probably just answered my own question there.

My biggest concern is throwing money at extended beams and not gaining much in terms of stability. Does the extra couple of inches make a major difference? (My ex says yes and I'm wondering if the same concept applies here. ;) )

Back