Dana 44??? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dana 44???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So you have the 4 speed and 4.88 what size tires and what rpm are you at doing 60?

I have a a4ld auto with 4.88 and 36x14.50 i try and not do 60,at 60 i think i run about 2000 rpms i run about 65-70 more towards 70 and run a little under 2500rpms.when i had 33 and 4.88s i would run about 2800ish at 70 cant really remember tho to be honest.if you drive under 60 and not far at those speeds 4.88s would be ideal especially when you go 35

You really think im not going to like 4.56? I just dont want to go to far. I have a car to but i like to drive the X. Id like it be street friendly and like i said im going to run 33s for like 2 years or more. So now i want to set it up for the 33s.

You really think im not going to like 4.56? I just dont want to go to far. I have a car to but i like to drive the X. Id like it be street friendly and like i said im going to run 33s for like 2 years or more. So now i want to set it up for the 33s.

Then go 4.56 but i promise in two or three years you will be disappointed with 4.56 and 35s and gears are not CHEAP!!DONT FEAR THE GEAR!

Ps 4.88s and 33s will put a smile on your face every time you drive it,just not on highway for high speeds till you get 35s

I've got 4.56 and 35's and it's manageable. It's not going to win any races, and I'm running just over 2000 rpm at 60 mph.

If I was to do it again would I go to 4.88s (or even 5.13)? Yes, but not for reasons of acceleration of highway driving etc. It would be for the lower range when off-road.

There's tons of recommendation about which gears go best with which tires size etc. You just have to pick for yourself what is most important to you. Lower gearing, better acceleration or lower highway rpm

I've got 4.56 and 35's and it's manageable. It's not going to win any races, and I'm running just over 2000 rpm at 60 mph.

If I was to do it again would I go to 4.88s (or even 5.13)? Yes, but not for reasons of acceleration of highway driving etc. It would be for the lower range when off-road.

There's tons of recommendation about which gears go best with which tires size etc. You just have to pick for yourself what is most important to you. Lower gearing, better acceleration or lower highway rpm

Is your speedo right?what type of 35s do you have? Mine actual measurements are a little over 36 more close to 37 and i have 4.88 and i cant see me turning less rpms than you with 4.56@60mph.i really wish i went 5.13 for exceleration and offroading,i can deal with driving a little slower on highway or gas prices.if i was worried about that i would drive my car;)

I have 4.56 gears with 33 tires now & not happy, if have manual trans 4.88 gears, if auto trans go with 5.13, like jd4242 said I ratter have the exceleration and for offroading. My next mod will be 5.13 gears with an aussie locker in front diff.

Curious: you guys consider torque multiplication when it comes to comparing automatic vs manual transmissions?

Curious: you guys consider torque multiplication when it comes to comparing automatic vs manual transmissions?

What do you mean?

What do you mean?
Well, on regular roads and such, an automatic transmission (the torque converter) multiplies engine torque before it enters the coupling phase which might negate the need for say 5.13 over 4.88.

Well, on regular roads and such, an automatic transmission (the torque converter) multiplies engine torque before it enters the coupling phase which might negate the need for say 5.13 over 4.88.

I would say thats backwards.i know in theory thats true. Ive driven both a 5 speed and auto both with 33s and 3.73 and the 5 speed had way more power.i think it has to do with more of the power loss of an auto compared to a 5 speed.also the a4ld is a pos so the lower gear you can handle the less strain its going to be put on it and lower temps.im going to a 2.9 5 speed with the lower first gear to help with tq and power(also because the a4 wont handle the power im putting down now);)

Do you no if the 2.9s 5 speed would help lower RPMs going 60 over the a4 or just a lower 1st?

I would say thats backwards.i know in theory thats true. Ive driven both a 5 speed and auto both with 33s and 3.73 and the 5 speed had way more power.i think it has to do with more of the power loss of an auto compared to a 5 speed.also the a4ld is a pos so the lower gear you can handle the less strain its going to be put on it and lower temps.im going to a 2.9 5 speed with the lower first gear to help with tq and power(also because the a4 wont handle the power im putting down now);)

Do you no how much HP TQ you have and how much psi?

Do you no if the 2.9s 5 speed would help lower RPMs going 60 over the a4 or just a lower 1st?

Im not sure on the final ratio of the 2.9 5 speed.pretty sure its the same as the m5od and think its higher than the a4(think) do a search for final ratios of the a4 and the m5

4.56 and 33 or 4.88 and 35 should put you pretty close to stock for rpms(3.73 and stock tire)how many rpms do you turn now at 60 and what gear and tires combo do you have now?

So i no how you fell about the a4 but what do you think about the m5? And is that out of a 2 gen?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My rig had the skyjacker radius arm crossmember with the bronco arms. Just used the 7° C-bushings for caster and had the passenger side arm wristed. It works perfect.

RAXMember.jpg

Does Skyjacker still sell these xmembers? and did u wrist the RA yourself?

Back