Dana 44??? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dana 44???

A D44 is not going to stand up to 38s, it hardly stands up to 36s in stock form. The weak point (as with most axles) is the U-joint / axle shaft - which is pretty much the same as a D35's specification.

doesnt the d35 have larger shafts and more spline count?both use the same aftermarket ujoints.but like you said its basically the same axle just a solid

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

But cant you do that to a d35?

no need for chrome molly in a d35.pretty sure it has the larger shafts and higher spline count.the problem with d35 is the ujoints,c-clip and bearing preloads/balljoints.all that can be replaced and fixed.all i did is use the strong d44 ujoints,ball joints and manual hubs.i didnt do c-clip because i had hours to rebuild and install the whole d35 before we left for a trip.i check my bearings and preload before every trip so the d44 knuck swap wasnt worth me to do.i run an aussie up front to and 36.14.50 witch everyone will say anything over 35 and a locker up front will guarantee to break stuff,im got about 5-7 trips on it and wheeled it pretty hard,mountains to beaches:D

So you happy with your d35 and what gearing are you running?

So you happy with your d35 and what gearing are you running?

I am for now, I expect something will break on one of these trips tho,im pressing it with my setup.i run 4.88s but wish i went 5.13 for a a4ld.im getting a 5 speed from a 2.9 so it will have a lower 1st gear and should help the 4.88s out:)

If i ever do a sas it would be a d60

I was just looking at some pics of your x and i have had one of your 4.0 on my lap top before i joined this site. lol

I was just looking at some pics of your x and i have had one of your 4.0 on my lap top before i joined this site. lol

;);) lol my last build was pretty purdy.i have it on my credit cards,wait till you see the lastest build,lots of work has gone into the motor and engine compartment. I would like to keep my 8.8,i personally think 8.8 are very strong and ive got serious money in it,so yea just the front d60.

A buddie of mine in our club has d60 front, rear and the only thing he upgraded was gears and added lockers and he said all the other parts in the axles is strong enough to stand up to anything and he runs stock engine trans Tcase too, I've seen this thing in action heres a pic
Picturetruckquadother032.jpg

is that truck an x? deffidently a nice rig either way.

It's a jeep cherokee, and this is what it use to look like before he crushed all body parts
Picturetruckquadother128.jpg

I'm going to have to side with jd4242 and RMR on this one.

After recently buying a used D44 and going through the budgeting of what's required to build and upgrade it, I'm starting to reconsider if that's the right choice.

If you're already going through the expense of having to narrow a D44, you might as well just go with a D60 as the parts are marginally more expensive and you wouldn't have to upgrade the axle to the same degree that you would a D44. So you might actually end up cheaper in the long run. I think the problem in some areas is finding a D60 at a fair price.

I either case you're going to have to get new wheels to match the bolt patterns etc. If you're just running 33's, maybe get a locker and upgrade to D44 outers. That's gonna take a fairly long way.

So my buddy just got a d35 and a 8.8 for his 87 ranger and now he wants to keep his d44. So im just going to put some money in the d35. like u joints, ball joints, gears, locker, james duff radius arms, i have the coils im going to run if they work like i want them to. Any ideas on gears? I have a 4 speed and some 33" TSLs at my shop.

So my buddy just got a d35 and a 8.8 for his 87 ranger and now he wants to keep his d44. So im just going to put some money in the d35. like u joints, ball joints, gears, locker, james duff radius arms, i have the coils im going to run if they work like i want them to. Any ideas on gears? I have a 4 speed and some 33" TSLs at my shop.

A a4ld or a 5speed? You said you want to go to 35s on day right? Is it daily driven on highway for long distances?

I have a 4 speed. Yes dd. Maybe 35s one day but i dont think that would be for two years.

if it was me i would do 4.88! I loved my 4.88s and 33s.your need the 4.88 for 35s for sure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So you have the 4 speed and 4.88 what size tires and what rpm are you at doing 60?

Back