Dana 44??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dana 44???

Id like to be able to run 35s one day. i just dont no if i want to deal with the alignment problems with the d35 and like i said i have to take it out and rebuild the d35 so why not up grade?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Id like to be able to run 35s down the road plus i think its going to be less work in the long run. The d44 lets me have more flex less moving parts less problems with alignment tires last longer and more ground clearance. Right?

Id like to be able to run 35s down the road plus i think its going to be less work in the long run. The d44 lets me have more flex less moving parts less problems with alignment tires last longer and more ground clearance. Right?

Not really.depends on type of 4x4ing.i dont know why people dont like the d35.the d35 can be stronger than a d44 when upgraded and cheaper.its how you drive and type of driving. I run 36x14.50 with upgraded ujoints,hubs,4.88,aussie locked and i dont go easy.i dont do alot of rock crawling but some.Cost was WAY CHEAPER!!i see people breaking a stock d44 just as much as a d35. D44 in stock form doesnt seem worth it for me unless you get ALL parts for free or really cheap.i can wheel the piss out of a d35 4.88 and locked for under $500 where a sas WILL add up.just my two cents.

Not really.depends on type of 4x4ing.i dont know why people dont like the d35.the d35 can be stronger than a d44 when upgraded and cheaper.its how you drive and type of driving. I run 36x14.50 with upgraded ujoints,hubs,4.88,aussie locked and i dont go easy.i dont do alot of rock crawling but some.Cost was WAY CHEAPER!!i see people breaking a stock d44 just as much as a d35. D44 in stock form doesnt seem worth it for me unless you get ALL parts for free or really cheap.i can wheel the piss out of a d35 4.88 and locked for under $500 where a sas WILL add up.just my two cents.

You have a good point. I just dont no what i want to do. All i no is all my friends have xjs and i need to get anywhere they can.

You have a good point. I just dont no what i want to do. All i no is all my friends have xjs and i need to get anywhere they can.

Believe it or not..i tow more jeeps out then anything else.but that has alot to do with that whole stereo type of having a jeep..not trying to sway you either way,sas definitely has it plus but depends alot on cost and personal preference, given we are talking 35 and less.any more then a d60 is only way to go with the cost..if im going to upgrade im going to truly upgrade;)

And now your running 35s on how much of a lift? do you have any problems with anything on your d35? I was skipping around reading what you did i like your x by the way.

And now your running 35s on how much of a lift? do you have any problems with anything on your d35? I was skipping around reading what you did i like your x by the way.
)

I run 36x14.50! And real measurements was 37xlike 15+ i also run 4.88s and a aussie locker with manual hubs.but i have upgraded ujoints and can feel when im doing something stupid. Dont get me wrong a d44 in stock form with 33s you will never probably have problems with but is the cost worth it for that size tires? Thank you..i have so many mods and threads it can be hard to find info.what it boils down to is the cost and preference for the sizes your wanting to run.what type of offroading do you do and how much experience off roading do you have??

Ps i have 5.5 drop brackets on the front,no problems with alignment,could go to 8" coils before i have a problem,getting 6" jd progressive rate coils with f150 seats and dual shock real soom.i have soa with 99 springs and AAL in the rear but switching them out for two inch leaf springs,i have the "on board power house"in the rear so its like another 100+ lbs back there so i have a 1"ish sag now even with new springs and AAL

Iv been a car guy for 9 years i did some small time racing and i was a drifter for like 2 years now iv been in to off road for like 1 year but go wheeling with people that have been doing this for a long time. I like wheeling because when i hit a tree i can drive away. And im a low level tech at a shop now. I live in Oregon so the wheeling that i do is trials most of the time whit lots of trees I like the snow i do not like the sand! So what do YOU think i should do with the hole d35 d44 think if i keep the d35 i need to do ball joints and 3 u joints maybe some gears when im in there cuz now im running 31s but i have a set of hand me down TSLs 33s. But i still dont no if i have the 3.27 of the 3.73 so i dont ho if i should go with 4.10 of not. Id like to use it as a dd. And if i keep the d35 i have 2" drop brackets but i want to pull out the 2" coils and put in the 4" superlift coils i just got Then soa Then i might need to lift the front more so it dose not look like a race truck! lol.

Iv been a car guy for 9 years i did some small time racing and i was a drifter for like 2 years now iv been in to off road for like 1 year but go wheeling with people that have been doing this for a long time. I like wheeling because when i hit a tree i can drive away. And im a low level tech at a shop now. I live in Oregon so the wheeling that i do is trials most of the time whit lots of trees I like the snow i do not like the sand! So what do YOU think i should do with the hole d35 d44 think if i keep the d35 i need to do ball joints and 3 u joints maybe some gears when im in there cuz now im running 31s but i have a set of hand me down TSLs 33s. But i still dont no if i have the 3.27 of the 3.73 so i dont ho if i should go with 4.10 of not. Id like to use it as a dd. And if i keep the d35 i have 2" drop brackets but i want to pull out the 2" coils and put in the 4" superlift coils i just got Then soa Then i might need to lift the front more so it dose not look like a race truck! lol.

Your need atleast 4.56 for 33s especially sense you said you may want to go to 35s someday.also your need larger drop brackets to match a soa in the rear.4" in the front and soa doesnt look bad because most rear springs are sagged.with you needing all new lift in the front and rebuild,gears for the d35 it may be best to just do the sas in the front.if you just needed the rebuilt and gears i would say keep the d35.if you have 4" spring now and the 33s and you do have 3.73 i would say run it till you have the d44 all built and ready to swap.4" and 33s your probably need to trim your fenders tho

Maybe... Maybe not.
I've had 35s on mine for over 7 years now, and I use it too (just look at my BII Cardomain link).
I have Skyjacker Cherokee XJ/ZJ springs, longer shocks on extended shock towers and extended radius arms. Nothing else under there is really anything special aside from a limit cable I put over the frame to keep the hood down on climbs, which forces a bit more flex out of it at the same time (same effect as hooking your winch or something to the center of a straight axle).
I also got rid of the crappy misaligned stock steering linkage as well.
Never had an issue with tires wearing out or stuff breaking, goes everywhere I've needed it to.

Now if you start putting ill-engineered liftkit junk onto it (stiffassed coil springs and a drop pitman arm that doesn't match with the lift leaving the steering linkage all out of whack), then sure, you're bound to have some issues. There are easier ways to steer around those issues (so to speak lol) than a SAS, so that's why we're suggesting sticking with what you have. Then when you get real serious about it, you can dive straight in for the good stuff (a D60 with a 10.25" rear) without already having a bunch of $$$ tied up into the moneypit of a D44.

Also keep in mind, ANY new (used) axle you get is also likely to need a bunch of work too, chances are you'll still be spending some $$$ to get everything ready whether you put it into your D35 or some other axle. At least you should already know what it is your D35 needs... Anything else will be an unknown.

Not really.depends on type of 4x4ing.i dont know why people dont like the d35.the d35 can be stronger than a stock d44 when upgraded and cheaper

You said it later in your post, but I thought I'd FIFY just for clarity ;)

An upgraded D44 will certainly be stronger than the D35, however upgrades on a D44 don't come cheap (pushing toward the cost of getting a D60), so you'd have to weigh that carefully against getting the better axle that'll still have room to grow, if needed.

explorerpics003.jpg
TM-oregon trying to post pic see if this works

Maybe i should just rebuild the d35 and play with it some more iv only had it in the woods two times. The sway bar has not been disconnected. And i did crack one of my long arms last time so id like to get the james duff.

First off where are you located in oregon?

Second I also am going to go to a D44 at some point also but I also want to be able to put 38's on my car at some point it all depends what you want. a lot of guys on here stick with their D35 and throw 35's on it and it works fine for them. so either way you just have to think about what your goal is. IMO D44 is way stronger easier to work with and all together a better axle that's why I'm looking to get one.

where do you wheel at?

A D44 is not going to stand up to 38s, it hardly stands up to 36s in stock form. The weak point (as with most axles) is the U-joint / axle shaft - which is pretty much the same as a D35's specification.

I live in West Linn right now. And i have some friends that have trails at there house, I go to goat mt. or some place by there. But i want to browns camp for the first time a few weeks ago. I just got the explorer some one traded it for my old POS ranger and with the rangers d28 i didnt want to keep it but with the d35 i just dont no....

Really? I haven't done much research on the durability of the axles and what tires they can stand but I assumed it was way stronger than a D35 and I have seen D30's and D35's with 35's so why can't the 44 stand up to 38's? sorry to get off topic.

Really? I haven't done much research on the durability of the axles and what tires they can stand but I assumed it was way stronger than a D35 and I have seen D30's and D35's with 35's so why can't the 44 stand up to 38's? sorry to get off topic.
It's the axle shaft diameter/u-joint specifications - that's almost always the weak point of axles when it comes to torque.

I live in West Linn right now. And i have some friends that have trails at there house, I go to goat mt. or some place by there. But i want to browns camp for the first time a few weeks ago. I just got the explorer some one traded it for my old POS ranger and with the rangers d28 i didnt want to keep it but with the d35 i just dont no....

O nice I always go to browns with a couple guys I have a 2" lift on my explorer with 3 32's and a 33 which is a long story but still glad to see another explorer in oregon I don't see a lot. the D35 is a really nice axle if you are thinking of keeping it look up the d35/d44 hybrid It changed out your d35 knuckles with 44 knuckles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's the axle shaft diameter/u-joint specifications - that's almost always the weak point of axles when it comes to torque.

but that can't be upgraded in anyway?

Back