• Register Today It's free!

Detroit Axle parts any good?

Greg Kosmo

Reaction score
City, State
Lincoln, Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
I'm looking to replace the upper control arms and lower ball joints on my 97 Explorer. Took it into a shop for an alignment last week and they quoted me 870 bucks to do it.

I found a super cheap kit that includes sway bar links, tie rods, control arms, and ball joints on Ebay, and I just want some opinions before I pick one up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-C...ash=item235596b43a:g:eigAAOSwMmBVtnjN&vxp=mtr

I get a feeling there's a reason this is 100 bucks when OEM or Moog parts cost around 300 just for the control arms and ball joints.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It doesn't appear to say what country they are made in, but it reminds me of Chicago brand tools at Harbor Freight - nice American name but made in China with varying and questionable quality. You could ask them the country of manufacture on their eBay page...

Welcome to the forum.

Just two of many Ebay kit threads. Once again, you get what you pay for.

It doesn't appear to say what country they are made in, but it reminds me of Chicago brand tools at Harbor Freight - nice American name but made in China with varying and questionable quality. You could ask them the country of manufacture on their eBay page...

Welcome to the forum.

Yeah, I kinda figured there was a reason these were so cheap.

Good news is I just checked, and it seems to have new(er) tie rods and sway bar end links. I'm just going to get the Moog stuff and save myself from having issues down the road.

Too many have BTDT before, and it's really a no win for the long term.

Problem with replacing cheap failed suspension parts is paying for another wheel alignment.

That's not always true. I used to get 555 brand parts really cheap, I didn't know they were a top brand.

I also used to get Falken and Yokohama tyres really cheap before they became a known brand.

And just because something is selling on Ebay doesn't mean it's crap.
You can buy Moog on Ebay and Rock Auto has an account.
They've got 99.4% Positive feedback.

Says this on the website:
Manufactured in ISO 9000 / ISO 9001 / ISO 9002 certified facilities gives the fit, performance Reliability and durability of OE.

BUT, they are pretty cheap so I'd be careful.

I bought some rear hub bearings from them once. I figured I could get 2 bearings and 2 flanges for less than 1 flange at the parts store so I gave it a try. The first one blew up on the way back from Vermont. Had about 20k miles on it. Made it all the way there and half way back through VA and it had turned bad enough to not dare to drive it. Luckily we were in 2 vehicles and we all piled in my f250 and drove the 2 hours home to get the car trailer. Once the truck was home I swapped both out for national bearings and have gone another 30k miles since without issues.

I have also installed a detroit axle front hub before for a customer and after 6 months it was already toast enough to kick on the abs light at times. I understood the customers logic on price, $80 vs $200 (06+ hubs are expensive) but safety is more important.

I bought a Detriot Axle steering rack that was advertised as "reman in the USA" that seems to work fine (although there's some grease coming out one of the steering bellows).

I think anything they sell "new" are cheap white-box parts that you can find at any parts house. These parts are generally trash and of poor quality.

Buy cheap. get cheap. I use Moog.

Worst company ever! Do not deal with. Ordered a steering rack, showed up faulty. They made me swap out the pump 3 times before admitting rack was faulty (rack, pump, reservoir, and hoses were all replaced at same time) so this put me over their 30 day policy. I had to pay for the part again to get a replacement sent out and had to pay for the return shipping. Took over two months to get my deposit back MINUS shipping (which I had paid). Bunch of crooks, worst Autoparts company I've dealt with in 20 years!

I've used and own a few Chicago brand tools from HF. They are low quality to be sure. If you have a job specific use for one, or will use it on a limited basis, then they are ok. If I had to depend on one regularly (like suspension parts) I'd say no way! I did a complete front end job with Moog parts and was very satisfied. Suspension, brakes, and steering components are not something to skimp on.

Exactly...Why would you chance you life to save a few bucks

Don't save on suspension parts. These trucks are very hard on the front end with the torsion bars and you could be taking big risks. You always want total control on these trucks.

Moog, Motorcraft, Raybestos Professional line are good names. I heard good things about Mevotech, they seem to have some intellectual property for Ball Joints. They have two lines as well. Beyond that you are really spinning the wheel. Who knows how many accidents bad front end parts cause. Even these premium suppliers have small issues, scares me to think what the China parts have. In the best case you will be replacing them very soon.

I bought a front drive shaft from them and it arrived in unusable condition.

Fortunately PayPal forced them to accept the return.

For the Harbor Freight haters, the items made by Chicago Electric aren't bad, they make products for Bosch also.

But some of the stuff is pure trash.

I did buy a front hub from some no name ebay seller 3 years ago and it's still going strong.

I guess I got lucky on that one.

MT

Thanks for this thread, and/or bringing it back up. I agree on avoiding the lesser brands, I've tried my share too. I like Motorcraft,Moog(mostly), and have tried some Raybestos Professional parts.

I will avoid the Detroit Axle parts going forward. I check this thread for opinions, since I recently bought a front drive shaft CV rebuild kit for about $50. The Dorman version is about $80 on the low side, and I have installed one of those before. I'll give this CV joint kit a shot, and keep an eye on it too.

I bought a front drive shaft from them and it arrived in unusable condition.

Fortunately PayPal forced them to accept the return.

For the Harbor Freight haters, the items made by Chicago Electric aren't bad, they make products for Bosch also.

But some of the stuff is pure trash.

I did buy a front hub from some no name ebay seller 3 years ago and it's still going strong.

I guess I got lucky on that one.

MT
That is the thing with quality control. 90% of the hubs may be ok, but 10% may be bad. The big names sample and test batches and spend lots of money doing so. Their suppliers are carefully vetted. I called Moog once and they told me they have hundreds of employees just for testing and quality. They(Federal Mogul) supply some parts to the big automakers as well, parts often have a few suppliers, and the OEM version may be a bit different(maybe a different boot). Cheaper brands could have a bad run, and it will more likely slip thru. Warranties and combacks cost Ford serious money, so quality works to their advantage. The China seller loses 30 cents of scrap metal when you use your lifetime warranty. Bearings look very simple but a few degrees less in the hardening process could make them fail in a few hundred miles. They support over 1000lbs while you hit a bump at 60mph. A lack of hardness may cause a tiny dent and eventually destroy the unit.

HF tools are the same way. Some may outlast DeWalt, others fail after a few tries. Got a sawzall, the mechanism that holds the blade in broke. I was using the tool to cut some thick steel for a few hours, probably not what it is intended for. So I rigged in a small steel clamp and pin. For $14 I'm not complaining. With a good blade it is scary what that cuts thru.

But a tool isn't really a safety issue (assuming you wear safety gear) as is a bearing or balljoint.

DISAGREEEEEE

Detroit axle wheel bearings on Gen II Explorers will last weeks and months, not years. I know I tried. I installed a bunch of those POS on our rides and customers rides trying to save everyone a few bucks on wheel bearings. Well I ended up eating the cost of labor to re install good parts when ALL OF THE DETROIT AXLE BEARINGS FAILED very quickly
They are CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
with unit style wheel bearings you get what you pay for!!!!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Detroit Axle stuff is crap.

Back