Door Ajar Problem in Cold Weather | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door Ajar Problem in Cold Weather

16EBBOY

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer V6
So lately here in Charleston its always very cold in the mornings, around 29 degrees and usually i go outside and start my car up and let it warm up but after i started the truck and shut the door and tried to lock it by the keypad it didn't work and on my little information screen it says door ajar but it was actually cold. when i get to school it is still "supposdely open" but when schools over about 7 and a half hours later its fine. is this a sign that i need to get a new door sensor is the sensor just frozen in there?

I have a 2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V6 with 76,222 miles.

That's pretty odd. You'd think it would get stuck and not tell you when the door is ajar if anything. Sounds like the sensor isn't reading properly.

IMO sounds similar to the typical Gen. III "door ajar" problem, which I had in my '03 X. Sensor would read "ajar" even when closed. Happened mostly in cold weather. Tried the WD-40 fix (spraying the crap out of the latch area), and it worked for a while. Eventually, the actuator failed, and I replaced the actuator which also came with a door ajar sensor..........all problems solved. Happens with drivers door most often. Just an observation, when I removed the actuator and saw where the door ajar sensor is actually located, I was amazed that any WD-40 was getting to it, but the temporary WD-40 fix does seem to work for a while.

Back