• Register Today It's free!

Driver Side Door Locks /Door Ajar

jsers

Reaction score
City, State
Stafford, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer V8
My locks on the driver’s door do not work when the vehicle is parked. When the vehicle is moving the locks work fine. The locks also work fine from the other doors, the keypad and the remote. Also door ajar light comes on, sometimes it goes out when moving. I replaced the lock switch, but it didn’t make any difference. I lossened the three screws holding the lock mechanish sprayed with lots to WD40 and moved the mechanism around a little, it worked a couple of times, but then back to nothing.

Thinking about replacing the door ajar switch, but not sure of the relationship to the lock. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My locks on the driver’s door do not work when the vehicle is parked. When the vehicle is moving the locks work fine. The locks also work fine from the other doors, the keypad and the remote. Also door ajar light comes on, sometimes it goes out when moving. I replaced the lock switch, but it didn’t make any difference. I lossened the three screws holding the lock mechanish sprayed with lots to WD40 and moved the mechanism around a little, it worked a couple of times, but then back to nothing.

Thinking about replacing the door ajar switch, but not sure of the relationship to the lock. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I had similar electrical issues with my 02 xlt. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the accessory delay wasn't working, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, the radio would shut off as soon as I turned the key off, the delayed accessories didn't work, etc. Most recently all 4 windows stopped working.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 2 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

Could also be related to the door ajar switch.

Here is a great thread for checking/replacing the door ajar switch, thanks to borland for the awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249253

That is a great write up.

On a side note, before going through a complete replacement of the switch, you can spray WD40 into the door latch opening on each door, as these become stuck sometimes....and this can alleviate the issue.

This worked for me, after going for more than a year of the "door ajar" light coming on occasionally...mainly after a car wash, high humidity, or rain....making me unable to lock/arm the vehicle from the door keypad and keeping the dome lights on. Worth a try....it worked for me :thumbsup:

Hope this helps out. Be sure to let us know how you make out. :biggthump

Thanks, The pictures are great. Since the locks work when the vehicle is moving, could it still be a broken wire?

Thanks, The pictures are great. Since the locks work when the vehicle is moving, could it still be a broken wire?

Sure it's possible. The broken wire could be making contact and allowing the locks to work.

Do a search... there's a good chance there is a broken wire in the bundle where it runs through the boot from under dash into the door.

Thanks !! All of you were right about the broken wire.
I couldn’t find it for love or money so I replaced the door ajar switch. I trhink it was still hanging onb but finally it broke completely. Not easy to find, especially the end closest to the dood. Anyway fixed with a bullet connector and all is well.

Nice job on the fix! :thumbsup:

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Back