DRL (Daytime Running Lights) | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DRL (Daytime Running Lights)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just got back from dealer. Was told he would try some models do not have the option and it will be $68. I asked what happens if he cant do it. I was told the $68 was for tech time no matter what.

Just got back from dealer. Was told he would try some models do not have the option and it will be $68. I asked what happens if he cant do it. I was told the $68 was for tech time no matter what.
I don't think I've read any posts here where a member was told the option wasn't there. Some techs apparently were not aware of the option but that's another story.

Peter

We live out in the country and have a lot of narrow but strait 2 lane roads which we share with all kinds of farm equipment.

For me, it makes sense for the DRL's to be always on so everyone else on the road can see me coming.

NOTE: I have a vision impediment which makes it difficult for me to read the Speed Limit Signs when I wiz by at high speed!

As mentioned above, the DRL's can be turned on by a Dealer Tech with his laptop. I have a 2013 Sport and they charged me $100 to turn mine on.

It is strictly a safety / viability issue.

Ask yourself how many times you have not seen an oncoming vehicle without lights until it got close to you.

go back to the beginning area of this thread. detailed directions on how the tech is to turn on DRL... it is easy for them, and if you were to say I'll bet the cost, if they follow the directions exactly as I wrote it down, they would lose the bet every time. And if buying a new car, have that part of the sales agreement.

Much discussion on 2011 Explorer Modification forum re DRL. It is a simple software switch set on the Body Control Module... OF ALL FORDS... It is in the Exterior Lights section... A selection for DRL, then in that, one switch to activate and a second switch to tell the vehicle which light set. Takes all of 5 minutes. Should be able to avoid the minimum attach the tech's computer cost, especially if you are at the initial buying stage and insist on it. DRL are only on when the vehicle is in any gear selection other than PARK. in PARK they are off.

go back to the beginning area of this thread. detailed directions on how the tech is to turn on DRL... it is easy for them, and if you were to say I'll bet the cost, if they follow the directions exactly as I wrote it down, they would lose the bet every time. And if buying a new car, have that part of the sales agreement.

Thank you,

Sorry to bring this back, but did anybody have their DRLs changed to ambers in the WI or iL area? I contacted a few dealers and they haven't got back to me and it's rather annoying, and I'd rather go to a dealer I know can understand this right off the bat! Thanks!

Sorry to bring this back, but did anybody have their DRLs changed to ambers in the WI or iL area? I contacted a few dealers and they haven't got back to me and it's rather annoying, and I'd rather go to a dealer I know can understand this right off the bat! Thanks!
If you don't get the response you're looking for, just make a copy of post 15 and show it to your dealer's technician. Seems like a very simple step to enable them.

Peter

I try to avoid the dealer, haven't cared much for the one's around me but might have to find one and show it to them

I have a 2013 Explorer Sport.

The DRL's are there but you have to pay the dealer to hook up a computer to the car and "turn them on" in the software.

That little adventure cost me $100 three years ago when I bought the car new.

It looks like you don't have to take a trip to the dealer now with the new Forscan update.

You can change the setting yourself for about 20 bucks (cost of obdII bluetooth adapter).

See option "Daytime running lamp type".

forscan.png

I'm interested in hearing more about the ^ that

It looks like you don't have to take a trip to the dealer now with the new Forscan update.

You can change the setting yourself for about 20 bucks (cost of obdII bluetooth adapter).

forscan.png

I'm trying this.
The Ford dealer in my area service MGR was a real jerk when I was trying to help his tech out and pointing out this is a BCM change thing and he wanted to charge me $120 for 2 hours of his techs time. I don't mind paying for anybody that does work for me but to tell me it was going to take 2 hours and he was just being a real jerk about.

Thats why I wanna bypass that kinda deal..I just want a tech that knows it can happen do it and wabam

forscan.png

Any chance you can give us new guys a step by step? I do not see the module and configuration tab

I may make a video if I get time. Building a mud room for the wife is taking up my time now. Give me a day or two.

I can confirm that this program works to turn on DRL.. And I owe very big thank to Sheltonfilms for taking time out of his late evening to help me get it working. I will try to do a step by step write up tomorrow with pics.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any chance you can give us new guys a step by step? I do not see the module and configuration tab

You need to get an extended license. Go to Forscan.org and sign up and request one.

Back