• Register Today It's free!

Engine turns off while driving.

JLinMadison

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
My first post and reason to join this forum...while driving my 2002 Explorer XLT 75 mph on freeway, the engine lost power, all dashboard indicators and engine turned completely off. I still had power to my radio and fuzz buster, but all other electronics were dead. After coasting to the shoulder with engine off, I shifted into park, turned the car to off and tried restarting....which worked. No problem the remainder of the trip. I've seen several of identical posts but not for a 2002. Took immediately to the dealer who says the computer turns up nothing, everything checks out fine and they've never heard of this problem. I am the only owner, 122,000 miles and have never had this happen before. But several months ago I had the computer reset after a problem with door ajar chimes and failure of the exterior keypad. What steps can I take with the dealer who says nothing is wrong. Am I experiencing a breakdown of the PCM computer or something else? They have no answers. Help requested. Thanks.

Back