2002 Explorer engine turned off while driving | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer engine turned off while driving

well, I'm no expert, but the initial incident sounded the same when you turn off the ignition key and the radio keeps running on the delayed accessory.

could it be a bad ignition switch, or something wrong with its harness?

:rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's a vac leak y'all check rubber elbow near your tb

I own the V6, not the V8. I took it to Midas and they said it's the fuel pump, so I replaced it. Ran fine today, we'll see how long it goes.

Not sure if you figured it out not, but i had these same problems happen on 1998 4.6 merc couger and a 2002 3.0 turuas. And in each case it turned out to be the IAC. the couger woulld just die for no reason but always started back up. the turaus would just die and sometimes would take a good 15-20 minutes before it would start . the couger had to replace the IAC and the turaus was good with just cleaning it out with carb cleaner.I dont know if the newer cars/trucks thow codes or not for the IAC but those 2 did not.

crank shaft position sensor will shut your truck off. if its just starting to go out it can be intermittant.

I think I found my issue. The connector to my inertia switch is melted. I checked it before, but never pulled out the connector. No idea why it would have melted.

So until I get a new plug and inertia switch, I just shorted the connection with a wire. Hopefully I won't roll it over or get into an accident in the meantime.

So a 50cent part has cost about $700. I've taken it to ford dealer twice, midas once, replaced the fuel pump and a ton of sensors, etc... Some stuff needed to be replaced anyways, but I spent about $300 at ford and midas having them trying to diagnose the problem.

Before I had just pulled the cover off and checked the connection, but never removed it ... stupid me ...

inertia.jpg

Back