Explorer Gas Mileage - including Ecoboost | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have a 2014 Explorer Sport with the V6 Ecoboost.
I drive it hard...gets red lined daily and average acceleration gear switching is usually occurs around 4-4.5k RMP's. Over all driving is about 20%city, 80% highway and the vehicle is at 16,000km (10,000miles). I always use premium gas, 91 octane

Here are my mileage figures:
"Lifetime" combined (never reset trip2) 13.1L/100km (18mpg)

If I reset the mileage and drive for 1hr hwy at 100km/hr (62mph)
I get about 9.5-10l/100km (24.8-23.5mpg)
If I reset the mileage and drive for 1hr at 120km/hr (75mph)
I get about 10.5-11l/100km (22.4-21.4mpg)

If I have the odd period off work and blow a tank doing mostly city driving only I'll be around 16-17l/100km (14.7-13.8mpg)...but that's wioth about 95% city, and again, I drive it hard.

Those of you getting 11-14 mpg from normal driving obviously have something wrong and need the dealer to look at it.

PS. Never use regular gas in the ecoboosts...it significantly reduces gas mileage. Regular gas will end up costing you "more" money when you break it down to $/km traveled.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2014 Explorer Sport with the V6 Ecoboost.
PS. Never use regular gas in the ecoboosts...it significantly reduces gas mileage. Regular gas will end up costing you "more" money when you break it down to $/km traveled.
Ford states that regular gas (87 octane) is the recommended fuel for the Ecoboost.
It is also what I and most Ecoboost owners use. Right now if I filled up at the PetroCan station I always use it would cost me an extra $5.60 for 89 octane and $9.80 for 91 octane.

Peter

Ford states that regular gas (87 octane) is the recommended fuel for the Ecoboost.
It is also what I and most Ecoboost owners use. Right now if I filled up at the PetroCan station I always use it would cost me an extra $5.60 for 89 octane and $9.80 for 91 octane.

Peter

Agreed 87 is recommended and 91 for improved performance.

Depending on one's driving habits most will find a huge improvement of fuel economy using the 91 Octane. The improved economy will closely equate to that $9.80 difference per tank. And, you get that better performance and smoother running engine. Personally the few times I filled up with 87 (just to test/measure fuel economy and performance differences) my vehicle runs like **** compared to the 91. Likewise, I've also tried a higher octane, the Ultra 94...that ran like **** too. Seems 91 is the sweet spot for me.

Also, did you see the thread about carbon deposits on the intake valves and no easy way to clean it out. A common induction service would normally take care of such a thing...but not on an ecoboost without risk of damaging your turbos.

I had a friend just require 2 new turbos in his Taurus at 140,000km. Total bill...$2k for the turbos and $2k for labor ($4000).

Not that running 87 is going to effect your turbos at all but the $9.80 more per tank I consider a preventative maintenance cost for a better cleaner burning fuel going through my engine!

I may give it a try but mine runs fine the way it is. Of course I don't have a comparison. Given that I'm currently only filling up every 5 - 6 weeks it may take some time to check this out. Price of regular today is running around $1.399 a litre ($6.30 gal.) at most stations in Ottawa with what looks like a gas war going on in the one area where all the stations are selling it for $1.299. That won't likely last.:(
I'm currently getting around 13.2L/100km or a little over 21 mpg based on 50/50 driving. I've only put 800 kms (500 mi) on the odometer since I picked it up on April 1st.

Peter

Peter-

Just an update- my vehicle is official re-learning! I am getting 25 MPG! WooHoo! I am absolutely thrilled! It worked and I am so happy! I was getting 26 on the highway- but 25 is nothing to cry over- much better than my 2011 Honda Odyssey! So for combined city/highway driving- I will take it.

My commute is rush hour-lots of stop and go and it's 32 miles one way....so this gas mileage is completely acceptable.

Thanks again- not bad for a straight up V6-missing the turbo action.

Jenn

Hi AZmom,

How long did you have to disconnect the negative cable on the battery for it to go back to re-learning?

Cheers

I may give it a try but mine runs fine the way it is. Of course I don't have a comparison. Given that I'm currently only filling up every 5 - 6 weeks it may take some time to check this out. Price of regular today is running around $1.399 a litre ($6.30 gal.) at most stations in Ottawa with what looks like a gas war going on in the one area where all the stations are selling it for $1.299. That won't likely last.:(
I'm currently getting around 13.2L/100km or a little over 21 mpg based on 50/50 driving. I've only put 800 kms (500 mi) on the odometer since I picked it up on April 1st.

Peter

Many people like myself are filling up sometimes twice a week and burning a good $600-$800 per month in gas. I can see an extra $9/fill really biting but if you're only filling once per month or less....try the 91, live a little, and enjoy the extra power, crisp response, and performance for which the engine was designed.
For me you can really feel the difference, but then again I ride it pretty hard and rev it up often. If you drive it lightly you may not notice as much of a difference.

Hi AZmom,

How long did you have to disconnect the negative cable on the battery for it to go back to re-learning?

Cheers
There is no set time for that.

From your 2013 Owner's Guide;

Automatic Transmission Adaptive Learning
This feature is designed to increase durability and provide consistent
shift feel over the life of the vehicle. A new vehicle or transmission may
have firm shifts, soft shifts or both. This operation is considered normal
and will not affect function or durability of the transmission. Over time,
the adaptive learning process will fully update transmission operation.
Additionally, whenever the battery is disconnected or a new battery
installed, the strategy must be relearned.

Battery relearn
Because your vehicle’s engine is electronically controlled by a computer,
some control conditions are maintained by power from the battery.
When the battery is disconnected or a new battery is installed, the
engine must relearn its idle and fuel trim strategy for optimum
driveability and performance.

There is a procedure laid out to do the latter yourself rather than having the vehicle do it. It is on page 350 of the 2013 Owner's Guide

Peter

Hi AZmom,

Cheers

Hi,

It was about 30 minutes, as I sometimes have shiny-object syndrome. I hadn't intended for that amount of time to lapse, but it did.

I take it you are having gas mileage issues?

Hi,

It was about 30 minutes, as I sometimes have shiny-object syndrome. I hadn't intended for that amount of time to lapse, but it did.

I take it you are having gas mileage issues?

Just bought a used Explorer so I'd like to have it reset to clear the previous owner's data. It's showing 18.23 MPG right now

There is no set time for that.

From your 2013 Owner's Guide;

Automatic Transmission Adaptive Learning
This feature is designed to increase durability and provide consistent
shift feel over the life of the vehicle. A new vehicle or transmission may
have firm shifts, soft shifts or both. This operation is considered normal
and will not affect function or durability of the transmission. Over time,
the adaptive learning process will fully update transmission operation.
Additionally, whenever the battery is disconnected or a new battery
installed, the strategy must be relearned.

Battery relearn
Because your vehicle’s engine is electronically controlled by a computer,
some control conditions are maintained by power from the battery.
When the battery is disconnected or a new battery is installed, the
engine must relearn its idle and fuel trim strategy for optimum
driveability and performance.

There is a procedure laid out to do the latter yourself rather than having the vehicle do it. It is on page 350 of the 2013 Owner's Guide

Peter

Thanks Peter.

I'm in Ottawa too btw :)

Just bought a used Explorer so I'd like to have it reset to clear the previous owner's data. It's showing 18.23 MPG right now

Congrats! What color? Pics.... :)

Poor Gas Mileage on brand new Explorer Limited

I bought a 2014 explorer Xlt and it got 19-20 in city and 24 on highway..so i bought a new 2014 limited explorer and it only get 16 in city and 20 on the highway..this is a 20 percent drop in fuel efficiency..no warning lights on dash and its got about 1200 miles...any reason for the big drop in milage? thank you in advance for your responses.

Welcome to the Forum Bcjams.:wavey:
Did you trade a 2014 XLT on a 2014 Limited? That must have cost you a fair bit of $$.
I merged your thread with this one on the same subject.

Peter

The short 5 months I had my Limited, the worst it ran consistently was 19.2 with combined driving of hubby and myself. I could average 22-24 easily with it being just me, and I have the tendency to baby my vehicle, versus hubby who is always in a hurry....

We noticed improved gas mileage when we gas up at the same location using the same octane.

I hope this helps....

The short 5 months I had my Limited, the worst it ran consistently was 19.2 with combined driving of hubby and myself. I could average 22-24 easily with it being just me, and I have the tendency to baby my vehicle, versus hubby who is always in a hurry....

We noticed improved gas mileage when we gas up at the same location using the same octane.

I hope this helps....

What kind of octane level you used?

On my Limited I had used 89. On my hubbys Ecoboost F150 I am using 89. We are journaling the station and the octane used. We are also tracking any specialty uses, ie: pulling the horse trailer, etc. His truck performs better with the higher octane at Shell versus Costco. Which I cannot explain.

I find better results with using the same station versus different locations and what their claims may be. I have never liked Diamond Shamrock's gasoline except for the lawnmower/trimmer and wouldn't dream of putting it into my vehicles. I know gasoline is or should be graded by the refinery in which it comes from, I just prefer consistency.

I have merged your post with this thread.
My driving is a mix of city, small town and highway driving. I have the same engine and tank size as your Sport. According to the website info, your Sport is 14 pounds heavier. At my last fill up I put in 55.2 (12.1 Imp. gal.) litres and the readout in the left info display showed 545 kms (338 mi) to Empty after the tank was filled. This works out to about 12.7L/100kms or 22.2 mpg. I've noticed lately that my mileage appears to be improving a little. I'm not sure if it is because I filled the tank with 91 octane for the first time or that the engine is getting a few more miles on it. I'm currently at 1425 kms (885 mi). I only use Petro Canada gasoline and with their savings card and affinity M/C save 12 cents a litre on every fill.
Whether it is normal or not is difficult to answer since everyone has different driving habits. You can't really compare yours to mine. I fill up once every 4 - 5 weeks and my insurance is $43 a month including interest for the monthly payment plan. That means my costs (gas & insurance) currently are around $125/mon.

Peter

In middle of first family road trip with the ex sport. Currently getting 23.2 mpg. Mostly highway including some 55 mph zones. In those zones I'm going 61. On interstates I'm going 72 mph. Flat Midwestern terrain. Excellent mileage!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm in a small town outside of Ottawa and I'm retired. I can walk to many of the stores in town and only occasionally go to the city. More trips into the city in the Winter when I coach minor hockey. Many of my local trips are very short ones. My 2011 Explorer had 18k kms on it after 3 years.

Peter

Back