• Register Today It's free!

Foot Activated Liftgate?

kabiblueline

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Anyone thought about trying to upgrade their Ex to have a "Foot Activated Liftgate"? Where you can just wave your foot under the rear bumper, and if the key is near, the liftgate opens...

It is available on the Escape now. I wondered if it might be possible to just buy the sensor part from the escape, and somehow mount and wire it into the Ex?

Not sure if I'm smart enough to figure it out. Sure would be handy when trying to load stuff in the back and your hands are full.

Anyone thought about trying to upgrade their Ex to have a "Foot Activated Liftgate"? Where you can just wave your foot under the rear bumper, and if the key is near, the liftgate opens...

It is available on the Escape now. I wondered if it might be possible to just buy the sensor part from the escape, and somehow mount and wire it into the Ex?

Not sure if I'm smart enough to figure it out. Sure would be handy when trying to load stuff in the back and your hands are full.

Do you think Ford will offer an upgrade for Explorer owners? I'd love to add this feature to my '13

Thanks for that link ieee_raider. The system is actually much more complex that I initially expected. Much more difficult to add DIY.

I guess the best hope is that Ford adds it as an option for the Explorer, and then the parts would be available. Adding the parts from the Escape would probably not be easy, as the software is probably calibrated for a specific location, orientation, etc....

Back