Fuel Tank access from top.

mange1234

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Exployer
Hello,

Can some one give me instructions on how to access the fuel pump by cutting a hole inside of 1993 Ford Explorer, 4 x 4. push rod.

I read in this forum that one of the members chopped a hole in top, behind driver's seat to access the fuel pump mechanism.

I just want to see if it is practicle.

Help please.

Mike in Virginia Beach

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I second this choice, it was a big time saver. I just started cutting behind the back seat :) make sure you measure it well.

I second this choice, it was a big time saver. I just started cutting behind the back seat :) make sure you measure it well.

Just get out the torch and guess where to cut. :eek:

Just get out the torch and guess where to cut. :eek:

something about using a torch above a gas tank that makes me cringe.

if the tank has a vapor leak, is at a good level, this is going to be one horrible night.

something about using a torch above a gas tank that makes me cringe.

if the tank has a vapor leak, is at a good level, this is going to be one horrible night.

I, in NO WAY, was serious about anything in that post. ;) I just typed that while looking for a pic of the bit.

I used an air chisel and one of these bits:

Old_Forge_1959_Sheet_Metal_Trimmer_Air_Chisel.jpg

Mark hole. Drill corners with a 1/2 drill bit. Careful, don't push too hard and drill into the tank!

Now cut from hole to hole with snips. The resulting rounded corners will prevent a 90 degree corner cut which can start a tear.

A small air grinder will work also, just go very slow and do not let the blade penetrate very deep. Once you have a piece pulled back you can see how much room you really have.

I found some metal flashing material, and cut a replacement piece 3/4" or so larger all the way around. Now you have a panel which can be screwd down and sealed.Put RTV along the cut floor edge and screwed the panel on with self tap screws.

The panel will have a curve in it, so, set the center "deeper" screws first to suck the whole thing down.

Back