Goodbye Torsion Bars | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Goodbye Torsion Bars

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oh cool so it has room to spare.....:rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes:

exactly!:D

Actually kinda took two steps forward & one step back last night, the 650 lb. springs are in and WAY thicker coils than I had anticipated, and my dumbarse had the uppers in the middle of camber adjustment while setting up...long story short, the shock tabs on the lower arm were cut off & new ones put on about an inch more inboard toward the frame. It has very little clearance at full droop with the camber adjusted all the way negative (in the real world, I doubt you'll ever need it that way, but I redid it for the worst case scenario.) full droop, there is MAYBE 1/4" from the coil to the frame and from the coil to the uniball cup...2.5's are an impossibility without hacking the bejesus out of the framerails. I should have the driver side complete tonight, though, and will post pics.

...sorry no new pics just yet, but it looks about the same as it did...redoing mistakes is not so fun.

New Pics!!

ok so as brandon stated in the last post there was a little hiccup on the lower shock tab as far as placement..now that it's all figured out the driver's side is almost(!crosses fingers!) done...the coilover shocks and springs are both here and man are they beefy...what the heck is this a trophy truck?! 7/8" shaft diameter and the springs are damn near 3/4" thick(eibach 1400.250.650) i'll let these two pictures talk for the time being..enjoy!
co.002.jpg

co.001.jpg

engine crossbar and upper shock mount bosses just finished up last night...then tonight all that needs to be done is the final mounting of the shocks, resivoirs, tires, etc. and then we'll cruise it around the block for alignment purposes and finally set the ride height...pictures to follow late tonight...and then we're DONE!!!

Ok, it's passed yesterdays late tonight. :)

haha...he left my house late last night at about 10:00 or so. the 650 lb. springs are marginal for the ride height we wanted, but I believe that is the heaviest spring Eibach makes in a 14" length.

It rides decent & everything, but if it actually bottoms out metal to metal, there will be coil bind. I told him to put a couple zip-ties on the coils & go beat on it & see if they get pinched off/dinged. If they do, we will need to find a heavier coil from somewhere.

I didn't have time to take pics, and he had to drive it back to school today, so hopefully he will post when he gets all situated...I just talked to him & it made the trek home okay, so that's good...now we need to wait & see how it handles Pismo :)

Ditto! Where them pics be?

alright alright....well i still don't have any pictures yet i'm still in the process of moving into a new house so the pics will have to wait but everything is running great...it's very smooth and just seems to float over everything...i just got my shocks chraged with nitrogen yesterday after riding around with just compressed air in them for a couple of days...and ya thats about it...i'll get pics up as soon as i can

So you all moved in yet?

ya but school is pretty busy...i'm going home this weekend so i'll take and post pictures then..sorry for the lag..however there is one update..i will need to look into getting a tender spring so i can have the ride height i need without having any coil bind..found that out this past weekend..but ya there will be pics this weekend

Pictures!

ok sorry for the wait but here's what i have:
engine brace
updated005.jpg

engine brace(angle)
updated006.jpg

resivoir on brace
updated007.jpg

lower arm gusset
updated009.jpg

tower
updated012.jpg

tower close up
updated004.jpg

full droop
updated003.jpg

ride height
updated008-1.jpg

Thanks for those pictures, it looks awesome! And you are happy with everything? Do you have the swaybar on just for the streets or will you always leave it on?

ya i put the swaybar on yesterday afternoon before i drove home(a 3.5 hr trip) i'll probably take it off again when i get a chance...and ya overall everythings great however there are some minor issues that need to be adressed when time allows

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Come check out my coil-over conversion which will be posted on my registry as soon as I finish the write up (a few days).

CMAX

Back