Gotta take the Ex to Ford tomorrow... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gotta take the Ex to Ford tomorrow...

bigDerk

Reaction score
City, State
Stockbridge, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ranger Edge
Seems my Ex has developed quite a significant tranny leak. :(

Last weekend I was coming home from my girlfriend's house (about a 75 mile drive) and I noticed something on my back window, like a fluid splashed all over it. Not thinking anything of it, I got home, and went to bed. Walked outside to go to work the next day, and I realized that fluid on my back window was also covering the whole rear hatch and underside of the truck- yay, tranny fluid. Pressure-washed the underside of the truck and drove it around a little bit to find the leak, and there's a lot of fluid leaking out around the front of the tranny, also around the pan on the bottom of it. Can't tell exactly where it's coming from but it's a helluva leak. I'm guessing just a bad seal at the front of the tranny but who knows. If this costs more than the $500 I just got for my old wheels/tires, I'm gonna be MAD! :fire:

Anyone have ANY ballpark estimate how much this is gonna cost me to get fixed? Maybe someone else has had this exact thing happen to their Explorer...

Guess I'll finally get around to letting Ford do the recall work on the rear hatch supports since it'll be down there anyways... :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like your do for a rebuild.... the front seal could be bad... but i bet you heated it up pretty bad on that drive home.... the new rebuild kits... are far better from stock.....

Well the tranny hasn't given me any problems at all, this leak is the first issue that's come up. No shifting problems or anything, just this leak... hopefully it won't need more than a seal replaced. Just dropped off the Ex so it'll be first in line Monday morning, hope it doesn't take TOO long... :confused:

Well, good luck! Hopefully it isn;t a rebuild situation..if it is opt for a factory replacement..not a dealer rebuild.....unless you don't plan on keeping it another 50,000 miles

bigDerk, have you tried to see if all the bolts holding the pan is tight? I am not sure what torque they are suppose to be, but might be worth checking into. Mostly likely it is the seals are just getting old.

Back