SVO

Meow
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Smithville/Austin, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
08' Suzuki SX4
Leaving the Shelby Mods shops by the way side, the owner of this GT500 vert decided to have this Super Snake conversion done here!

Starting off will be the Eibach front and rear sway bars with the coil-over struts and and rear adjustable coils and dampeners.

Then comes the Stage II pulley and tune that netted the red GT500 vert that Lori drives, 525rwhp.

Along with the triple gauge pod install that mounts on top of the dash assy.

So follow along as we take an innocent GT500 and mod it to be a bit more of a Snake with a bite than just Hiss!

Pre-Super Snake mods
PB190942.jpg

PB190940.jpg

PB190941.jpg

Jeff - :navajo:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First thing we gotta do here is remove the Shaker sub, trunk wall liners to get at the top shock nuts
PB200945.jpg

PB200946.jpg

You may have to use the special Shelby removal tool, CS-V15E GR1P5-AB to hold the dampeners from turning while you loosen the top nut
PB200947.jpg

Then remove the sway bar, dampeners, and then loosen but don't remove the convertible uni-body support braces, and pop the coil springs out
PB200948.jpg

Once the old coils are out, take the new coil, adjustable coil spring seat and the factory coil spring insulator and reinstall, I installed it at maximum height, because the customer has a sloped driveway to contend with.
PB200951.jpg

Now when installing the sway bar be sure to lube all the poly bushings really good so you don't get any squeaking noise as the suspension cycles through its range.
PB200954.jpg

Used the supplied blue Loctite to secure the cap screws in the sway bar mounts
PB200956.jpg

ONLY attach the sway bar at the bar to body locations first, then install the dampeners, along with the sway bar to axle mounting points, if you don't do this, you will be doing this again

PB200957.jpg

PB200958.jpg

Now on to the front of the vehicle, now to mention the rear is a little more work involved, but the front takes a couple of things into perspective, one is, it's easier, EXCEPT is can be quite a bit more dangerous, you are dealing with a Macphersion Strut that is under 500+lbs pressure, this can mame, injure, or worse death.
If you have not done these before, or are unsure, remove the strut assemblies and take them to a shop with a proper spring compressor for removal and re-installation, as you will have to use the original upper portion of the strut assembly for the new ones.

Remove the four nuts on the top of the strut tower and set them aside, and lift and remove the strut tower brace
PB190941.jpg

Then remove 18mm nut that secures the sway bar end link to the strut assembly, then the 10mm bolt holding the brake line and the fuzzy button securing the ABS wire, with a 18mm socket remove the two strut to splindle bolts and the strut assembly is free
PB200949.jpg

PB200950.jpg

With the struts out you and remove the four 15mm nuts securing the sway bar to the radiator core support and slip the sway bar out, note the orientation of the end links so you can transfer then over to the new sway bar.

Just like we did for the rear sway bar, use the supplied lube for the bushings and reinstall the new sway bar with end links back into the vehicle.

At this point the strut assemblies should be built and are ready for re-installation back into the vehicle, easiest way is to stab them up through the tower and finger tighten the two outer tower nuts, then add the tower brace w/nuts allowing them to hang there

Locate the spindle in the strut mounting location and slip the two 18mm bolts through with nuts.

Tighten the 13mm strut tower nuts and torque to spec, and then the 18mm spindle bolts, re-attach the brake lines, ABS wires, and sway bar end link.

PB200964.jpg

PB200965.jpg

PB200966.jpg

You may have to raise and lower the car a few time to adjust the ride height to where you want it, making sure you understand that after a few hundred miles IT WILL SETTLE and become lower.

PB200971.jpg

I just drooled all over my keyboard. Very nice write up for a badass car!

Are you hiring yet?
seriously

Is it a law that Mustangs must have vanity plates? At least 50% of the ones I see on the road have them.

Yep..it's a law..both of our Mustangs have special plates.

Jeff, can't wait to see the end result. One of the GT-500's I was looking at trading the Mach for was a Black Vert with the Red Stripe kit. :D

BLIIIIIZZZZIIIING!!!

PB211023.jpg

PB211026.jpg

PB211027.jpg

PB211028.jpg

PB211029.jpg

PB211030.jpg

PB211034.jpg

Is it a law that Mustangs must have vanity plates? At least 50% of the ones I see on the road have them.

Like Draper said, yep, it's the law! However, it's a curse too. For example, my first plate was STNGRL (we are only allowed 6 letters :thumbdwn:) so this was the best I could do. I got rid of that plate when people kept asking me if I "Stoned Girl". :rolleyes:

Now my plate is REAPR1. (REAPER, REEPER, R3APER, REAP3R, and REAPR was all taken). When I picked the plates up, the lady asked if I was a Real Estate Appraiser. Then I was asked at a car wash why I had Real April 1st on my car, and then the final straw was the nice little trooper who pulled me over and told me he just couldn't figure out what my plate said....before I got a warning for no front plate (I think that one was #9).

Now, even on the GT500 listed in this thread, it's plate is SNAK BT. Well, Jeff and Rick tease the owner that it's snack bite or snack bit. The Terlingua Mustang has TRLGUA for the plate. If you don't know and can't read down the side of the car, I'd like to see what comes out of that...lol.

People do like to think that, but there are plenty of them on the road without vanity plates.

Take mine:

DSCF0633.jpg

no wait... :shifty_ey

Nevermind... :D

I like it Jeff, very nice. I'd work there too if it wasn't so far away.

Those GT500 wheels are growing on me still more. What size are they and how much do they weigh each? Regards,

Yeah- why hasn't Sam asked for an exhaust clip of this?!?!

^^^roflmao! Or ask if there's any new pics!

BTW, I still say you should take it for a test drive up to canada! You know, to see how it handles on ice and snow, whatdaya say? When you get here I'll buy you guys some back bacon, and labatts blue!

I prefer Elsinore

strangebrew.jpg

15149797_400x400.jpg

Stage II blower pulley install:

PB210982.JPG

PB210985.JPG

PB210988.JPG

PB210989.JPG

PB2109971.JPG

PB210999.JPG

PB210990.JPG

PB210991.JPG

PB211005.JPG

PB211007.JPG

PB211011.JPG

Like Draper said, yep, it's the law! However, it's a curse too. For example, my first plate was STNGRL (we are only allowed 6 letters :thumbdwn:) so this was the best I could do. I got rid of that plate when people kept asking me if I "Stoned Girl". :rolleyes:

I know that! Here was my first vanity plate:

PC220030.jpg

I had that because BANZAI was already taken. However, almost everyone asked me what BANZ 2 meant...:rolleyes:

...The Terlingua Mustang has TRLGUA for the plate. If you don't know and can't read down the side of the car, I'd like to see what comes out of that...lol.

T R (Someone's initials??) Lesbian/Gay United Alliance???? :p::p::p::p:

Actually, Snack bite and Snack bits were the first two guesses from my step-mother...

Meanwhile, their plate says RAIN4

Short for Ray and Ingrid which is on all their cars...and INGRAY on the boat...

Good work Jeff, keep us posted!

I have been asked by the Director of Ford Motorsports, Jamie Allison, if I would be interested in having my car featured in the Ford Motorsports Newsletter, so Jeff better not scratch it! LOL

Jeff, that picture makes you look 10 years younger! (seriously)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back