MONMIX

I fix dents
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
In a few weeks my tranny temp guage is going in.
I am gonna put it in the steering column pod that Auto-Meter offers.
Any way, I need to get a line from my head lights and another from my ignition. Where, what color, ?
What is the best place to get the required power?

It is the guage that comes with the Perma-Cool filter kit.
Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks much.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the wire is blue that you tap into behind the headlight switch. For ign power, the easiest place to tap into for me is the radio power wire. Good luck! The install of a tranny temp gauge is not hard, but it can be a little time consuming because you have to run some wires.

Hehe, working on doing the same thing! I just hooked mine up to the wire for the radio, since it cuts on with the ignition. But I would think that you could hook it into any source that cuts on with the ignition. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't use the headlights to trigger illumination, I'd tap into one of the dash bulbs so the gauge dims with the dimmer switch.

Originally posted by Alec
I wouldn't use the headlights to trigger illumination, I'd tap into one of the dash bulbs so the gauge dims with the dimmer switch.

Ooooooooooh yeah!!!!
Good idea.
I don't run my dash lights full blast any way.
Good tip.
Any clue what color I should look for ?

I used the ashtray lamp on mine because it was easily accesible and I didn't mind losing that lamp. You could use that then just run decent lamp cord to the gauge through the dash.

cept' I have no ash tray !!!!!!!!

lamp power going to the rear wiper or rear defrost switch, etc? That wire should be able to power 2 or 3 lamps instead of one. But I'd fuse it just in case.

cool beans man.
once again you have been a help.

Back