Headers and High Flow Cat Convt | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headers and High Flow Cat Convt

more money then i got... so its hard as hell to install while motor is in? damn... i was hoping it would be a Med Difficulty job, i was hoping to have it all in next month or so

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i didnt say it was or not. even with it out it was for me. just cause i had to use a wrench on all the bottom bolts and get quarter turns on them before having to reset and turn again.
i went from sockets and good turns to learning the awesomeness of impact drills then back to wrenches and i hated it lol
not trying to scare you off of doing it, i just started to get the taste of laziness of power tools and had to go caveman to put them on
taking the tire and wheel well off would be good tho. get in there more.

well i plan on taking A/C units out this month.. lol the non a/c belt and non a/c box is a bday gift to me.. haha... so i plan on that being gone, how ever... if i gotta take off passenger tire.. thats even more money when we put my 33s on we noticed the threads are stripped beyond belief on the newish rotor, so that means rotor and seal plus bearing.. ugh.. all over again... plus im pretty sure with the wheel well will be almost hard as hell to get out, when we trimmer fenders to fit the 33s if i remember right the plastic wheel well sealed to the metal as we were doing welding.. hands tools.. ive not had the luxury of using air tools to do any thing.. just old hand me down hand tools

Specs
Headman $269painted $529cermic
1 1/2 primary
18 gauge
1/4 flange
2 1/2 collector

Pacesetter $237painted $395 cermic
1 1/2 primary
16 gauge
3/8 flange
2 1/2 collector

JBA $672 natural $834 cermic
1 5/8 primary
14 gauge
3/8 flange
2 1/2 collector

So yes the jba are 1/8 larger and 2 gauges thicker but everything else is the same.so they may last a little longer and flow a little more but for $439 or $435 more it would be soooooo minute that it wouldnt be worth it!!:rolleyes:

Im now looking at Headman vs pacesetter, friend can get them for 25 dollar difference, which would be the best for pretty much still stock set up except for the cat convt

Im now looking at Headman vs pacesetter, friend can get them for 25 dollar difference, which would be the best for pretty much still stock set up except for the cat convt

Look at the specs!;) pacesetters

As far as the painted and they are cheaper.

Just get painted and strip the shipping paint and coat them yourself.just make sure you bake them.mine still look great

bake em? as powder coating? sorry for all the ?s

No prob.i take and strip the black shipping paint off them.then take high temp ceramic paint and paint them.then you have to bake them in the oven or else it will flake off.ill try and find the paint i use and post it but any high temp ceramic them paint will tell you how to do them right,just make sure you strip the black paint.

i run headers and if you do have a stock system or dont have head work done,they are a waste beside for appearance.im going to have to disagree with some of the statement that Anime made,i have run pacesetter on everyone of my toys and they are just find headers.they are not cheaply made at all,i have had all three brands and compared them all and pacesetters had the best flange and welds(pacesetters,headmen,and jba,jba being the worst design)!!ps i would put the extra money out to get the ceramic ones either,the black ones are the best bet if you have an oven you can use.the black paint IS NOT HIGH TEMP,you need to strip that and ceramic paint and bake them yourself.this pic is after 3 years and about 6,000 miles and they still look new!
picture.php

picture.php
You can see the bolts are all rusted but the headers still look good

Recently added headers and cut the cat with a test pipe. What a difference. My 94 X also has a 5.0 Cobra MAF, K&N filter in the airbox and I did the airbox mod for improved air flow. Runs strong and has a great sound now.

This also happened to me when I installed my own set of headers. I got better horsepower and sound from my engine plus I got cleaner burning emissions as well. In my opinion, your experience in terms of performance benefits would really depend on how you set the whole thing up.

my set up is basically stock, i have changed things out to new like fuel injectors and fpr, eliminated the a/c crap, cleaned maf and intake and plenum, so for this itll be stock, pacesetter headers into Magnaflow hiflow cat convt into 2.5" pipes with a Flowmaster Delta 40 muffler, the snorkel set up already makes the motor/exhaust sound different

I knock the cats out of all my vehicles. My 4.0L OHV engine in particular was real happy with the changes afterward. I can't believe this engine had 2 cats...

gotta keep it street legal for me, we can get a random safety inspection and at any point during that, it can be tested for emissions, we arent an emissions state but whatever they can do for money... i already got poped once right after i did the snorkel

I would think it was the same

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That catback works just fine on a 91 and 92. At least it works fine on my 92....

Back