HF now sells Badlands Winches for offroad | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HF now sells Badlands Winches for offroad

2 things i didnt like about it though.
The leads to the solenoid are not nearly long enough for mounting it anywhere but on top of the winch itself. I barely reached with the solenoid box between my grill and rad support.

And I was under the assumption it came with a mounting bracket. Which it did not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

12k Winch on sale at the store.

Locally here the 12000# is the same price as the 9000# for $399.00. 2 yr extended full coverage is another $79.00. Out the door after taxes and extended warranty is over $500.

I worry about the line speed and strength of these. The 12k cant pull 9k past the 2nd layer at 35'. The 9k can only pull 9k on the 1st layer at a short distance.

I was told by a store associate that if during the extended warranty period, if anything goes wrong, you can bring it back to any store and get a new one in the box on the spot no matter what. The store I visited only had 1 of each, so there is a chance they might not have it when you need it. Plus, this maybe a pita. Say you need a simple part like the controller, you have to remove your entire winch, and return it to get that new controller, or ship it (on your dime) to SOCAL and wait for a replacement shipped back.

After warranty is over, for any parts needed / work done, SOCAL is the only place to get them / worked on, shipping is on your dime. For 2 years, your covered, but after that, this can be a real pita.

For over $500.00, I would go another route, other than getting this winch. Just my 02.

With my coupon and warranty i paid 320 bucks. I dont think i could have gotten a better winch for the money

So far ive used my winch once, i almost hydrolocked my engine and used it to pull me outta the mud hole so i could do all the usual (pull plugs and crank) on solid ground.

Works great.

...Any updates on the new winches?

Hi guys,
This is just a check in. My family suffered a seriously tragic loss the same week we bought the winch. We've been derailed since early June and are just now starting to get back into projects on the Ex. I'm not really one to flake on promised write-up so I just wanted to pop in and say yes, we're still planning a nice bumper build and some winch abuse but it likely won't be until the end of the year/early early next year.

PA, glad to hear you like it! I'm pretty excited for the rainy/snowy season, but everything is being taken one step at a time.

Stay safe out there!

I wanted to contribute some numbers to those looking for a comparison, feel free to tag this or C&P to the front post:

Badlands 9000 LBS (#68143) Pull By Layer
1/ 9000 lb. 18.1′ (5.5m)
2/ 7350 lb. 40.3′ (12.3m)
3/ 6170 lb. 67′ (20.4m)
4/ 5340 lb. 95′ (29m)
5/ 4750 lb. 100′ (30.5m)

Badlands 12000 LBS (#68142) Pull By Layer
1/ 12000 lb. 16′ (4.9m)
2/ 9550 lb. 36′ (11m)
3/ 8000 lb. 61′ (18.6m)
4/ 6800 lb. 90′ (27.4m)
5/ 6000 lb. 100′ (30.5m)

The manual has some more specs on line speed and amp draw if anyone's interested.

..This is from an offroad magazine and as close to write up as I've seen on these winches so far..
http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/111...ing/index.html?r=19104_4169891&#ixzz1bFbjF8Qa

Thank you. It’s nice to be back in the project mindset again.

I don't like the solenoid on top. I'm hoping that we'll be able to tuck it away nice and clean within the bumper. We’re going for a look a la black91EB style. He sent us some solid pointers, I’m pretty excited.

Thought Id give an update, about 2 weeks ago my winch stopped working when my step dad borrowed my truck and tried to use it. Pulled it out, cleaned up the terminals, checked everything. Still didnt work. So I bought a warranty for a reason, took it in and the replaced it no questions asked. They didnt have any 9k's in stock so I scored a 12k instead.

Can the BL winches be mounted to an ARB bumper like the Warn winch does. It looks like the winch can only be mounted from the bottom and not the front of the winch.

Here's the bumper I'm modifying to go on my lifted '03 Sport Trac...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

..I have a feeling you may be the first to find out if it will or not..:popcorn:

Can the BL winches be mounted to an ARB bumper like the Warn winch does. It looks like the winch can only be mounted from the bottom and not the front of the winch.

Yes they can. All you do is bolt both feet to the front of the bumper which is basically mounting the winch 90 degrees from normal. The only problem with these is the clutch/freespool lever. Where it is is where it will have to be on the backside of the bumper. The Warns are nice because you can unbolt the gear side of the housing and clock the lever where you need it to be.

So if I got the badlands winch I'd just need to weld on a mounting plate to the ARB bumper, no big deal. Hopefully I can get the Warn 9000lb. winch, etc. off the guy that I bought the bumper from.

..Congrats on your purchase and if you do get it clocked, can you let us know in this thread also?

I'll definitely let everyone know how to block it if it's possible. Waiting on links to threads that show how to do it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Figured id post here again, I am now going on a year with my winch. Well my second badlands. Im not sure what happened but at about the 10 month mark mine quit working. But I used the warranty and they gave me a 12k (had a 9k) for no extra charge.

I was in the field (biology) and it helped me get through some tough situations. Mainly the bad storm on july 4th. Pulled trees out of my way and got me back to civilization.

I couldnt be happier with this winch. I think its worth the money. But I would not skimp on the warranty.

Harbor Freight was really cool about replacing it and didnt even test/check it out.

Back