HF now sells Badlands Winches for offroad | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HF now sells Badlands Winches for offroad

...Thanks for the update and we are curious if this new one or anyone elses just quits too..:popcorn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, mine hasn't been on for a full year yet, but I ran it last week and she's still going strong.

Took a quick picture this morning at work. Feels good to finally have my winch installed, took ALOT of fabrication and modication to the bumper to mount this big *****. 12k lb. winch in a ARB winch bumper that was made for a matching compact Warn 8k lb. winch.

IMG_0984.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

I'm gonna be cutting up all the steel using my templates for the custom steel rear bumper. My neighbor/ landlord has a plasma cutter that he's letting me use (never used one before) should be alot more fun and faster then using a angle grinder with cutting wheels. lol

Here's the thread on my winch install and bumper fab work.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372731&page=3

Just bought one for Mr Mud will be installing soon, and will be fabing a cover for it

Still waiting to see if anyone has problems with it. If not I'm buying one after Christmas.

No issues yet. I've only had to use it a few tines, but it has really worked well when I've needed it to.

..Does anyone have any pictures of it getting used and/or abused ?...:popcorn:

I second that. Let's see them in use other then the badlands commercial.

I have one on my truck, but haven't used it for real yet. I got it for $260, plus the $50 warranty, then I bought the $40 mounting channel, and the $25 wireless remote. Haven't installed the wireless, but I'll try to give a report when I do use it.

I just gave the winch and my welds on the front bumper a true test today.

I got the the Freightliner bobtail stuck on the snow/ ice in our yard at work, dug it in a good eight inches into the solid ice and dirt. Pulled the tractor 15 feet to a somewhat flatter piece of ground.

I hooked up the winch to the back frame section behind the 5th wheel, climbed into my Trac to rev the engine to keep the amps up, put it in 4Low, held the brakes to keep the truck from being pulled towards the tractor and pulled the tractor right out even though my manager forgot to release the air brakes.

Sorry but I was too busy getting the truck unstuck to get video or picture's.

almost got to use mine last week. A quad had crashed off the trail down in to a ravine. They got the quad running and rode it out, so no need to winch.

I did install the wireless...it has good and bads. Good... Well, wireless. Don't need to find the controller and plug it in, and it has good range. The bad... The signal must send in long pulses, so when you let go of the button, it continues to winch for a second. Probably not a big deal, for actual winching, but gave me some trouble stowing my cable. I hook my end over to the tow hook, so I dont want to pull to hard and put a bend in the cable. Had to reel in and out a few times to get it right.

Second thing, now the controller is always active. So, im a wee bit paranoid about something bumping the button, and my winch unspooling while im doing 70 on the freeway. Imagine running over the cable....big wreck, lots of damage. So, the controller is living up in the garage door opener compartment in the overhead.

LOL. I have the wireless remote as well but haven't hooked it up yet. When I do I'll probably just unplug the control box so it's not constantly on and put the plug behind the grille next to the control box. This will also keep the moisture out of the pigtails, I'll probably add dielectric grease to the pigtail connections to keep them from corroding from all the road salt, rain, snow, mud, etc...

I like to always be in the vehicle when winching anyway just incase, if you need to winch out of something you usually need to be able to hit the brakes, throttle and or steer to assist the recovery. Atleast in my experiences ove the years.

they are nice! another member here got one it was the 12000lb. got it cheap on sale and a 20% coupon. he uses to pull trucks up on his trailer and the couple of time i helped him load trucks it didnt struggle much at all and one didnt have a rear axle slid it up on leaf springs

Maybe I will buy one of these rather then an audio system....

well i decided to buy one, has anyone installed the badlands winch with a mounting plate onto their Explorer if so can you post pic if possible. or if its a home made plate how think the plate is?

The winch doesn't come with a mounting plate but they sell them at HF, iirc the plate was 3/8", maybe alittle thicker. I mounted mine straight to my bumper, I had to modify my bumper quite a bit since its made for a Warn 8k, the 12k BL winch is a lot bigger. Lol. I had to clock the winch housing because the winch mounts from the front and not the bottom on my bumper. Theirs plenty of threads on doing hidden winches, it helps to have a bodylift.

ok sounds good, i will search, sorry rough morning didnt think about searching the forum.. I edited my post about it coming with one, that was another winch that i seen that came with one.

If it helps, I know that the 12k will fit between the frame rails. But for me, mounting it 'required' custom welding and Fab work.

Largely because I wanted an integrated grill/brush guard and winch/fair lead plate assembly that was all bolt on. :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...My local HF has gone hog wild with these winches...

..They even set up a real display to show off everyone they offer..:eek:

IMG_20130219_140115.jpg

IMG_20130219_135909.jpg

Back