List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 65 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

The dealership I used to fix the issue gave my vehicle back the same day I dropped it off. There were no more paint bubbles but they couldn't give me the service paperwork because they said they were having computer issues. Has anyone had a dealership try to fix the paint issue instead of replacing/repainting the hood?

My dealer attempted to do the same thing...say they could fix the hood, but after reading all the posts on here I was adamant they replaced the hood (which they did).

Also, definitely get the paperwork...my dealer said the same about their computer was down and couldn't give me the paperwork when I picked up the vehicle. I asked them to mail it to me when their computer system was back up and running...they never did. When I went to trade-in the vehicle 2 years later, there was an issue with the CarFax...Ford dealer had placed an incident on the CarFax report about a damaged hood. I explained the situation to the dealership where I was trading in my Explorer and they understood, but....I was not a happy camper with the Ford dealer. I haven't/won't deal with that Ford dealer again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Folks,

I bought a used 2016 which was out of warranty. I noticed the hood when we bought it and sure enough Ford approved a brand new hood. I have a 2017 and its just starting to bubble. It goes in next week to have it looked at. I won't settle for anything less than a new hood. Keep on them its a known issue for sure!

You're lucky Dave that you didn't buy a 2015 or earlier model. The 5 year warranty only began with the 2016 MY.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Yes, in the 'earlier' days of this issue, several members had the bubbling fixed and in many cases, it wasn't long before the issue started again. The correct method is to replace the hood. Did they give you a new hood? If not be prepared to see it happen again. Go back and ask for the paperwork again. The "computer problem" should be fixed by now and they should be able to give you something that details the work they did. They must have something since they would have had to submit a claim to Ford for the warranty work.

Appreciate the info @peterk9! Any idea how long it took before the issue showed up again? I figured I have 2 options to get it fixed correctly:
  1. Wait for new paint bubbles before bringing it back
    a. Even if it was out of warranty, I'd request they fix it for free since their solution was more of a bandaid than a fix.
  2. Ask them to replace and repair citing the TSB (19-2026) once I receive the paperwork.
    a. Including the first post with the TSB #, might help others from having to dig through a bunch of replies in this thread.

Has everybody seen that:

Aluminum Body Panel Corrosion Appearing As Bubbled Or Peeling Paint – 2000-2018 Ford, Lincoln & Mercury

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
    Aluminum Panel Corrosion 19-2026
    06 February 2019

Aluminum Body Panel Corrosion Appearing as Bubbled or Peeling Paint - 2000-2017 Ford Lincoln Mercury
Option 2 would be my first choice.

My dealer attempted to do the same thing...say they could fix the hood, but after reading all the posts on here I was adamant they replaced the hood (which they did).

Also, definitely get the paperwork...my dealer said the same about their computer was down and couldn't give me the paperwork when I picked up the vehicle. I asked them to mail it to me when their computer system was back up and running...they never did. When I went to trade-in the vehicle 2 years later, there was an issue with the CarFax...Ford dealer had placed an incident on the CarFax report about a damaged hood. I explained the situation to the dealership where I was trading in my Explorer and they understood, but....I was not a happy camper with the Ford dealer. I haven't/won't deal with that Ford dealer again.

Sorry you had to go through that, I would be a bit upset as well. I was a bit annoyed the service info didn't automatically show up under the Service History section of the FordPass App. Sorry if this is off topic, but does anyone know of a thread that discusses getting the dealer to put that info in following a service? I would love to be able to refer the next owner to the info in the app in favor of a folder full of paperwork. All the services in the photos below were things I added manually following a service:

1594833630893.png

1594833833833.png

Are you saying that the dealer repaired the hood instead of replacing it? If so, that is not what was supposed to happen.

Peter

Are you saying that the dealer repaired the hood instead of replacing it? If so, that is not what was supposed to happen.

Peter

I believe they repaired the hood instead of replacing it but can't be sure since they weren't able to give me the paperwork. I will inquire about it once I go back to get a part they had to order. If the paperwork confirms they repaired the hood I will cite the TSB and ask them why it was not replaced.I may need to call them considering the part has been on order since 06.29. Not sure if the part actually takes that long to come in or if they just forgot about me.

I'll post an update to the thread once available.

Mid June I took my 2017 Explorer Sport to the dealer to discuss the paint bubbling issue. They immediately had me take the car next door to the body shop. Body shop guy came out, looked at the car for 2 minutes, and said we'll take care of it.

Hood was repainted not replaced.

I did not read the entire thread but I'm curious if anyone has had any issues with the rear hatch?
Body shop told me that they were also having issues with that.

Mid June I took my 2017 Explorer Sport to the dealer to discuss the paint bubbling issue. They immediately had me take the car next door to the body shop. Body shop guy came out, looked at the car for 2 minutes, and said we'll take care of it.

I did not read the entire thread but I'm curious if anyone has had any issues with the rear hatch?
My sister's 2013 Limited has the hatch rusting on the bottom and the paint bubbling on the outside. My 2014 Sport has zero issues with the hood and the hatch has small bubbles on the interior portion. Mine came from PA and is now in a very dry climate, so I'm hoping I won't have any further issues.

It should have been replaced. I hope that they did at least follow Ford's directive for prepping and repairing the hood for the pre-2016 models.

Peter

What was the date you had it fixed and have you had any problems since?

What was the date you had it fixed and have you had any problems since?
According to his post, it was "mid June". Since it was just posted, I'm guess it was just over a month ago.

Peter

Everyone getting this fixed here for free has the warranty coverage or the super extended warranty, right? Just checking in to see this isn't a repair all like the carbon monoxide fix. My hood is bubbly, but I don't have any warranty, nor am original owner.

I just bought a ‘17 Sport today with a bubbly hood. The factory corrosion warranty states, “5 years/Unlimited miles. Warranty terms include: No perforation required on aluminum panels.”

Prior to closing the deal, I spoke with a Ford service advisor who confirmed that the hoods are replaced under warranty.

Everyone getting this fixed here for free has the warranty coverage or the super extended warranty, right? Just checking in to see this isn't a repair all like the carbon monoxide fix. My hood is bubbly, but I don't have any warranty, nor am original owner.

It is going to depend on your in service date on your Explorer, but even then I think that it would be pushing it for a 2014. But it has to do with the aluminum panel warranty.

If nothing else talk to the service advisor and have him talk to Ford, you never know.

Mine was fixed under the original manufacturer warranty for a 2017 Explorer.

As far as I know, the factory warranty on pre-2016 Explorers did not cover this since only perforation rust damage was covered and aluminum doesn't rust so no perforation occurs. The ESP also does not cover the aluminum panel corrosion, paint or rust. The only thing that will cover the bubbling is the 5 year, unlimited mileage warranty on 2016 + Explorers.

Peter

We bought a 2017 XLT 4x4 with Sport Appearance package back in May. Really pleased with it so far. Very comfortable on the highway. Saw the hood edge bubbling immediately. Thanks to this site I knew what it was. Dealer replaced hood last week and we just got it back on Friday. Hopefully Ford has fixed this issue for good, but who knows... Our 2004 Explorer had an aluminum hood and we never had any issues with it and we owned it until last year. Hmm...

Took my '17 in to the dealer on Monday, 27 July. They took pictures to send in to Ford. Got a call back two days later to schedule the hood replacement. She's going in tonight for a new hood.

My 2017 XLT is in the shop right now having the hood replaced. Body shop manager says it is a very common problem caused by the aluminum hoods being placed on a steel vehicle in the same area where other work is being done (factory). He said that iron particles migrate to the aluminum and are absorbed into the aluminum setting up a corrosion situation. The new (replacement) hoods, he says, are "sealed" and he has not had any recurrences. Yours, being a 2020, would, I think, be equipped with a "sealed" hood. He says it is so common with the "older" explorers, that he is not even required to get approval for replacement from Ford. He also said that even though other Ford vehicles also have the aluminum hoods, he has only seen the problem with the Explorers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The explanation sounds plausible but if that is the case, why is it only bubbling on the front edge and not on other parts of the 'contaminated' hood?

Peter

Back