how do i get the fuel out of the tank? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how do i get the fuel out of the tank?

JoshC

Only rolled it once honey
Reaction score
City, State
Culloden, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4d OHV
I've got a full tank of gas in my explorer and i need to empty the tank. I tried to run a hose down the filler hose but wasn't able to get inside the tank itself. How can i get the fuel out??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

why? at harbor frieght they have a pump that has a hose on each end and a push pump kinda like a bike air pump but it will pull the gas out its like $5.99 walmart has a similar one in the automotive

Maybe you can drop the tank .. and then remove the sending unit, you can then suck/siphon all you want or even turn the tank over onto a kiddy pool.

I can't get a hose down in it, that's the thing.

Iz, i can't drop the tank because the frame/body is sitting on 2 railroad ties on my trailer. I had thought about drilling a hole in the tank and have a funnel and stuff ready but i don't want to do that just yet.

Any ideas if there is something in the top of the tank to keep people from sticking a hose down in it?

This is complicated :D : You can try disconnecting the high-pressure line somewhere (either near the tank, near the fuel filter, or near the engines as these are where there are disconnect points), and then energize the pump manually and let it dump fuel.

that's a good idea, if i can get to it anyways. If i just turn on the key will the pump continue to pump fuel? It should until it reaches the pressure required to start right?

that's a good idea, if i can get to it anyways. If i just turn on the key will the pump continue to pump fuel? It should until it reaches the pressure required to start right?
Hey thats a good idea.. If you can hook up an old bike pump hose to the relief schrader valve on the fuel rail (the bike pump's hose presses on the valve's pin when it clamps down), then you can ideally extend this hose to a canister and let it pump away while you have the key in the ignition (but engine not running).

Another thought, you can remove the core of the schrader valve and it should just be open from there, then all you have to do is slip a proper size hose over the relief valve to a canister and you should be golden.

Cheapest schrader valve core remover (typically around $2.00 for a pack of four or five from PepBoys):
schraeder_remover_cap.jpg

One thing I must say (for future readers who might not necessarily know off hand) is that of course you'll never really get ALL of the gasoline out of the tank so no weldy weld -- or anything that produces a spark or excessive heat for that matter.

Building on that idea,

On the offhand chance that doesn't work (I think the computer checks the CPS, if not spinning after two seconds it cuts off the fuel pump), one can jump +12VDC from the battery to a paper clip stuck in the inertia switch.

I would disconnect at the FPR or even the filter, any slight leaking in an injector would fill a cylinder up with gas which is difficule to compress (speaking from experience with a Mits*bishi Ecl*pse).

Good Luck!

Good point.

I know i stuck a hose in the tank once to get gas, i still can't figure out why i can't get it go in again! That would be to easy i guess!

Good point.

I know i stuck a hose in the tank once to get gas, i still can't figure out why i can't get it go in again! That would be to easy i guess!

Dad and I have siphoned/pumped gas from his explorer. We just stuck the tube down through the filler hole in the body. I dunno... smaller diameter tube to pump with? :dunno:

can you remove the filler neck-from the rear wheel well area? remove the filler assembly from the fenderalso--3 screws under cas cap lid-
Then you could get a tube directly in there-

can you remove the filler neck-from the rear wheel well area? remove the filler assembly from the fenderalso--3 screws under cas cap lid-
Then you could get a tube directly in there-

Nope. The anti-siphon guard on the 2nd gens is on the end of the filler neck inside the tank. IIRC, the mesh on it is VERY small. If you were able to get a hose down there, it must be rolling around in the tank instead of being clipped to the end of the filler tube.

IMHO, the easiest way at this point would be to punch a hole in the bottom of the tank. You would, of course, then need to patch said hole before refilling. I wouldn't recommend that method, for obvious reasons.

Are you simply trying to empty the tank in place, or will you be dropping it?

Well i can punch a hole in it but i'm not sure i can do that yet because i have a buddy that maybe be buying the truck. If he doesn't then i'll punch a hole in it before it goes to the scrap yard.

Can't you just remove the filler tube from the rear of the tank and siphon directly from the tank. That is what I did when I've had to drop my 1st gen tank.. (I see previous posts indicating it maybe more difficult for 2nd gens+)

When I need an empty fuel tank, I just hand the keys to my son. It works like magic every time. :D

When I need an empty fuel tank, I just hand the keys to my son. It works like magic every time. :D

When i was growing up i always did the opposite, give it to dad so he can fill it up!

Back