I got rear-ended | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I got rear-ended

It actually happened a few weeks ago. I was climbing the one large hill on my way to work. Traffic always bunches up on this incline. But things were worse because a couple of folks had a fender bender. They had pulled off to the side. But of course, everyone had to slow down and look. As I came up on it, traffic in my lane stopped. As I was coming to a stop, I noticed the guy in the S-10 beater behind me wasn't paying attention and knew he was going to hit me. I had a bit of space, so I turned off onto the median. Sure enough, he came screeching to a halt beside me.

Accident avoided, right?

Of course not. I pulled back into the lane, the guy back behind me again, and proceeded on. I'd gone about 500 feet when traffic came to a stop again. This time I was going slower, so I had come to a complete stop when I looked and saw the same guy was again not going to stop in time.

>BAM<

He hit me. So we both pulled off in sight of the other fender bender on the opposite side of the road - no doubt making traffic even worse. Naturally I wasn't too pleased. Here, I'd given this guy a second chance to get it right and he blows it!

I get out to look and discover another advantage to having a trailer hitch. My bumper is bent down a bit and the top a little scratched. There's also paint missing from the hitch and the wiring harness is dangling. But that's it. The S-10, on the other hand, has a completely smashed in front grill and bumper and the side fenders and hood are warped.

The guy gets out and immediately starts cussing. Then he tells me about how he's been disabled for years and was on his way to the VA Clinic. He tells me he has insurance, but he hasn't paid the premium. Then he tells me he has a friend with a body shop in [small town] who can fix things easy if I don't report the accident. With a sinking feeling, I tell the guy I'm going to call it in anyway.

When the police arrive, we both explain what happened and, to my surprise, the guy shows the police his valid insurance card and tells him he hasn't paid the premium. The officer tells me he'd like to cite the guy, but can't because the paperwork is in order.

I then exchange contact information with the guy. He tells me he doesn't have a phone and gives me "his son's number". Before I go to work, I take the car to the body shop I prefer and get an estimate: $450. I tell the guy at the shop the story. When I get to the part about the man basically telling the police he doesn't have insurance, the guy exclaims the man must be the world's biggest idiot. I say, "Or a really honest one who's down on his luck. I guess I'll be finding out which soon enough."

After a couple of days, I pick up the accident report and call he guy's insurance company. The lady informs me he's not currently covered, so there's nothing they'll do. She also tells me she's sure the guy will make things right. Riiiiight. So having not heard from the guy, I call him next. I get someone who says he'll pass the message on. That evening the phone rings. I answer and it's the guy. He tells me he's calling from a pay phone. I believe him since there's so much noise I can't make out one word in three. He goes on for a bit about something I can't quite make out. I tell him how much the estimate came to and he tells me he'll need a couple of weeks to get the money together. I say okay. I figure there's a good chance I'll never be able to reach him again.

Exactly two weeks later, I haven't heard from the guy. I figure I'll start hunting him down starting the next day. Then the phone rings. It's the guy. He tells me he has my money and asks where I'd like to meet. We decide on a Waffle house not too far away. He's a few minutes late, but he shows up. He pays me in cash and asks me for a receipt. As I'm writing one up he asks me what sports I like. I'm surprised by this change of topic. Seeing my "What the..." expression, he plows on. He tells me he fights ****s and proceeds to go into great detail about the different breeds. Guess I know where the money came from. :rolleyes:

We part big friends. He promising to invite me to the next big **** fighting event. Me silently promising I'll "be out of the country" when he calls. He also tells me if I ever get in trouble down in [small town] just mention his name and the police'll take care of me. Greeeaaat. I immediately go to a bank and deposit the money. No alarms go off.

So I have my answer and I consider myself fortunate to have met what could be the one guy driving around without insurance who's actually honest, and just down on his luck. Now I just need to find a good time to take the Ex in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Always sucks to be in an accident, but it's great that you got your money and can get your truck fixed.

I was hit in a similar way back in January.. had to slam on my brakes to avoid a cube van that changed lanes due to a disabled vehicle in his lane. Guy behind me wasn't paying attention, and Honda Element met Explorer... fortunately, the Explorer's like a tank, so all I took was damage to the rear plastic and the tailgate, while his whole front end was destroyed.

So AL isn't a no-fault state, and you have to go after the insurance of the person who hit you yourself? Fortunately, NY is a no-fault state, so each person's insurance covers damages to his own vehicle, then the insurance goes after the person who's at fault for you.

that sux big time

wow man that stinks that you got hit but hey atleast you made a new friend =) haha

At least he finally paid you. I had a similar incident many years ago except I was stopped at a red light and the guy hit me in a crappy old station wagon. I got stiffed on the whole thing and had to buy a new bumper myself.

**** fights? hahahaha

At least he finally paid you. I had a similar incident many years ago except I was stopped at a red light and the guy hit me in a crappy old station wagon. I got stiffed on the whole thing and had to buy a new bumper myself.

Ouch! I was 99% sure that was exactly what was going to happen to me. But I try not to judge books by their covers and it turned out the guy was straight-up and honest the whole way through - even if he's into to some not-so-legal activities. :shifty_ey

I was hit in a similar way back in January.. had to slam on my brakes to avoid a cube van that changed lanes due to a disabled vehicle in his lane. Guy behind me wasn't paying attention, and Honda Element met Explorer... fortunately, the Explorer's like a tank, so all I took was damage to the rear plastic and the tailgate, while his whole front end was destroyed.

Gotta love that full-ladder frame! I was ready to take the guy apart when I got out of the truck. :rant:Then I saw the very minimal damage on mine and his entire front-end caved in like a wet cardboard box and, though I was still annoyed, the rage just went away. :cool:

So AL isn't a no-fault state, and you have to go after the insurance of the person who hit you yourself?

That's correct. If the guy hadn't stepped up, the whole thing would've been out of my pocket. Alabama does require you submit proof of insurance after you get the accident report or have your license revoked. So he probably did end up getting fined.

wow man that stinks that you got hit but hey atleast you made a new friend =) haha

Er... yeah...that's right... :scratch:

**** fights? hahahaha

Well you see, he's got this special Japanese breed that... :rolleyes:

Back