I replaced the valve body gaskets, and it only moves forward. No reverse or neutral. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I replaced the valve body gaskets, and it only moves forward. No reverse or neutral.

miran587

Reaction score
City, State
newbedford mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer
i had problem with my over drive on my 01 ranger 3.0 with 4x4 so my budy from ford said it could be valve body gasket if its blown out. so took off pan and noticed little piece of gasket was blown out so changed both upper and lower gaskets put it back together with 5qts of fluid and know when i put it in neutral,reverse ,drive the truck moves forward in every gear i put it in whats the problem thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was a torque wrench used on the valve body bolts?

Yes but I didn't know exactly how much. I kind of guessed going by I loosened them. It was either 8-10#s.

Was a torque wrench used on the valve body bolts? Were the correct gaskets used to match the separator plate holes?

Yes I matched the gaskets.

Only use a 1/4" drive In/Lb torque wrench on the valve body bolts.

I only have a 3/8 ratchet drive. Are 8-10 # not enough or too much?

Check # 67 in my list of useful threads for more information.

ok im going to heck my wrench it might be in inches not sure but if its not tight enough thats probably the problem my question is the fluid got allover the new gaskets if its not tight enoough does that mean i need new gaskets thanks

The gaskets should be fine since they are still new. Fluid will get all over them in the pan.

so if tq specs are off that would cause fluid to get by which would cause car to drive forward in every gear r,n,d,1,2 is that correct

The valve body directs where the fluid is supposed to go in order to engage certain gears. It looks like a map. Loose bolts could cause pressure to get lost in certain places, so only certain gears will work while other ones won't.

The valve body directs where the fluid is supposed to go in order to engage certain gears. It looks like a map. Loose bolts could cause pressure to get lost in certain places, so only certain gears will work while other ones won't.

ok thanks alot ill try that tommorow

if mine is foot pounds i used a converter calculator 8pound = 96 inpounds so it would be right with your chart so only way it could still be problem is if i have a inch pound wrech but im certain its ft pound wrench so could it be anything else but ill double check tommorow

This problem developed after the valve body gaskets were replaced. What was the original problem before the gaskets were replaced?

I think that this is my problem. Look at the 3rd picture. Do you know how the s-link is supposed to connect to the bracket? Could this be my problem if its not attached?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106854&highlight=manual+detent

The only problem before the gaskets were change was no overdrive. My buddy said if gaskets are blown out it, it looses pressure, and could cause no overdrive. It's a cheap starting point. I think that the transmission was rebuilt, so hopefully it's only the gaskets. As far as overdrive, I now have to fix the problem of driving forward in all gears.

Your transmission doesn't use a link like the A4LD.

heres what mine looks like i think my problem is in the last pic with the big circle on left can see the pic clear enough to se how it ataches though

Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That link is # 86 in my list of useful threads.

do you have a better pic of how the s-link atackes like in the last pic in that pst its not too clear for me to see how it ataches

Back