Jon And Sheri's Vitamin D Wagon | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jon And Sheri's Vitamin D Wagon

As she sits now,
017.jpg

019.jpg

015.jpg

013.jpg

018.jpg

But it didn't start out like this.

We returned from our trip to Colorado Sept 2009 to find this waiting in the yard.

It needs a few little sumthuns--but it is a great start I do think.
Here is where we begin to take over the work started by trukmajik and dejello

94explorer001.jpg

94explorer003.jpg

94explorer002.jpg

94explorer004.jpg

94explorer007.jpg

94explorer006.jpg

94explorer005.jpg

9-11-2009092.jpg

9-11-2009090.jpg

updated pics ^^^^^how it was when I got it

Now here is how it looks as of 4-1-2010

got the wheels all shiny!

truck002.jpg

frostbite001.jpg

truck001.jpg

truck006.jpg

truck005.jpg

truck004.jpg

truck003.jpg

and as of 8-5-2010

IMG_1105.jpg

with swaybar^^^

without sway bar

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

revised shock towers and more flex-Big thanks to Dkchrist for coming over to weld em in. I owe him big time!!

IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

With a top

IMG_1988.jpg

IMG_1986.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

LED rock lights

IMG_1925.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK
behind the scenes there are a lot of little issues which have me a bit stressed and depressed.

First, this truck needs to be running so I don't have to ride a bike around town in the snow.

2nd, The canvas top issue, could be expensive.

3rd, sparksaflyin needs 4 new doors, in white

4th, i need a roller axle and set of tires for the mounty, as I sold the suspension to Corkey --( top secret mounty thing happening).
5th, there are unknown wiring issues, and California, non california things going on with this truck

The front SAS on this truck looks to be mainly a bolt in affair, with some thingy's cut here and there.

So, I would like to introduce, for discussion, a great big problem solver. This truck is supposed to run great, 149k miles and is 20 minutes from me. Instead of spending another 125 on an engine, why not just drive this home

http://seks.craigslist.org/cto/1457327294.html

I will offer 1k, and have a lot of options. I would rather rebuild an engine for this truck,when I can, and drive it now like it is, than, shove a running engine into the chop top just to rebuild another for long term-and have to do the install again.

this will also give me a lot of spare parts.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

So would the one in Yates be your daily driver and you part out the lifted one? To me that makes the most sense.

So would the one in Yates be your daily driver and you part out the lifted one? To me that makes the most sense.

Yes. The goodies come off the chop top and go to the craigslist truck.

Mark gets his 4 doors off the chop truck, which already match his paint.

Then I would have a spare transmission, and transfer case also out of the deal. plus a lot of other crap.

So you really need a base platform Ex, with a running engine, correct?

Since you have the front straight axle, a manual trans, and manual T-case, it doesn't have to be a 4x4 correct?

If your sticking with the 1st gen, you can find Ex's dirt cheap with bad transmissions, even 2wd versions. I just did a quick searchtempest.com look, and found a few nice looking 94 models for under $500. One black 94 with perfect body was going for $250 with a bad trans. Another 94 EB with bad trans slippage for $500.

Something to think about.

So you really need a base platform Ex, with a running engine, correct?

Since you have the front straight axle, a manual trans, and manual T-case, it doesn't have to be a 4x4 correct?

If your sticking with the 1st gen, you can find Ex's dirt cheap with bad transmissions, even 2wd versions. I just did a quick searchtempest.com look, and found a few nice looking 94 models for under $500. One black 94 with perfect body was going for $250 with a bad trans. Another 94 EB with bad trans slippage for $500.

Something to think about.

I have thought-I think

considering the needed work, and time, hassle and expense of getting one of those to my house--and comparing it to a driver--
maybe I missed something, but a good running one, considering all of the above circumstances, this just makes sense right now.

Correct me if I am wrong, but just towing one to my house would cost over 200.00. I have no trailer

And the last thing you need is another non-running Explorer in your driveway or yard. :)

I only have one non running and 3 that do. Geez--

When did another one sneak in?

Here is the score card I have.

Turdle
Matt's
Chop Top

Then the stepchild Nissan. Did I miss a thread?

Even with a $200 towing cost, it might save you a few hundred $$ in the end.

Everything is gonna be a hassle anyways..lol

You are having a get together soon, maybe someone coming has a trailer they can help you with. Ya never know. Stranger things have happened in the past.

Do you know anyone that goes to the auctions? Has a auction license? Someone in the Insurance bizz, that handles the salvage end? Deals abound right there.

Just my O2, disregard if any of this is adding undue stress.

Seems to be a really big project Jon.

I think that I would go after the other white explorer and transfer the suspension over to it. The ca/nonca thing just seems like a struggle you dont need to deal with to have a wheeling/dd rig.

Im not sure I would like the canvas top. It seems it would be extra cold and how are you going to keep your spare or tools safe while its outside.

That white Explrorer looks like a good candidate - although I would take it for an extended drive (maybe 30 minutes to get the thing warmed up) to make sure there are no ghosts hiding in it.

So just to clarify, you want a running truck that will be reliable to drive around this winter with as little headache as possible and the Turdle is going under the knife for whatever you have planned for it?

HF is selling an industrial sewing machine now for like $300 :)
Soft top is not too expensive

duct tape and canvas tarp is even cheaper!!

in 1993 the only difference between a CA truck and a Non CA truck (as far as I know) is 93 CA has EGR and possibly a cam sensor... the wiring locations (pinout) at the PCM may be DIFFERENT!!!

Fun fun

oh that and the computer tune sucks for a CA truck, its de-tuned even more from Ford

Well
I knew my lovely bride would not be keen on dragging another truck home. After a bit of discussion, she talked some sense into me. Besides, it has benn going thru my head anyway--

I have to be honest, with you all and myself. My physical abilities are stretched with one truck, let alone 2.

However, I have to have a off road capable truck. One which suits my needs.

So, I am throwing in the towel on this project, and, taking the Mounty to the next level with the suspension in this truck. It will be a challenge, I know, but it will work out.

Sparksaflyin needs 4 white doors. The A4LD in this might not be a bad thing to have around, and the spare transfer case might come in handy for him also.

After removing the good items, the rest will be scrapped. If anyone wants anything, now is the time to speak up.

...Well that's a total bummer...But I know exactly where you are coming from...;)

...Later on you will look back and know you made the right decision...:shifty_ey ... and it saves you the "I told you so" from the Boss....:D

I'm Gratful for the spair parts,I know we'll work that out. It's a shame the "EVIL TWINS" will no long live!

Turdle is going to look badass with it's new SAS!:thumbsup: And I'll help yeah the best I can. As long as you don't mind me in your way.lol!

I think your making the right decision. It's hard to keep up 2 highly modified vehicles. The Mounty drive train is already reliable, and you'll have most of the suspenion parts on hand. That's more than half the battle.

Hey jon, give me a couple month here I am all in at the big E ;)

Back