just received some subs and amp...question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

just received some subs and amp...question

Lewshus

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

get a new amp.. w6's can handle up to 1200w each. id look into something around a 1000w amp

Definitely need a bigger and better amp. Those are nice subs and under powering them would ruin the sound.

Uhhhh.....The JL w6v2's are rated at 600 watts from JL. I fully realize drivers can take a bit more power than rated but giving one 1200 watts is really not a good idea at all. 1000-1200 for the pair would be perfect. It also depends on the coild configuration of them. Are they v2 or are they an older series which do not handle as much power. All of these are questions that should be asked before having the guy burn up his subs or possibly waste money on an amp he doesn't need.

There was a w6 and w6ae. Both rated at 300 watts....NOT 1200!!!!! It would probobly be a good idea to pull one out of the box and be sure. The odd thing about the older w6 is they were a dual 6 ohm coil. That can make matching them to an amp kind of interesting.They would want 600 - 800 watts for the pair.

There was a w6 and w6ae. Both rated at 300 watts....NOT 1200!!!!! It would probobly be a good idea to pull one out of the box and be sure. The odd thing about the older w6 is they were a dual 6 ohm coil. That can make matching them to an amp kind of interesting.They would want 600 - 800 watts for the pair.

x2 :thumbsup:

Clean power

Its ALL about clean power. everybody talks about watts, watts, watts. Having more watts does NOT mean more power and better sound.

The only thing a wattage rating on a driver is is the amount of heat it can dissipate. If you are delivering clean power to the drivers, you don't need to run them as hot as they are rated for. I have been kicking A$$ with only 50 watts @ 4ohm. I run 2 single voice coil 4 ohm subs. Not alot of wattage.

CLEAN power is your friend. Dirty power will fry your subs, even if its less than the subs are rated for.

Its ALL about clean power. everybody talks about watts, watts, watts. Having more watts does NOT mean more power and better sound.

The only thing a wattage rating on a driver is is the amount of heat it can dissipate. If you are delivering clean power to the drivers, you don't need to run them as hot as they are rated for. I have been kicking A$$ with only 50 watts @ 4ohm. I run 2 single voice coil 4 ohm subs. Not alot of wattage.

CLEAN power is your friend. Dirty power will fry your subs, even if its less than the subs are rated for.

Dirty power......I think you mean a clipped signal. And a driver can be blown mechanically as well as thermally.

Dirty power......I think you mean a clipped signal. And a driver can be blown mechanically as well as thermally.

That is what i meant, and i agree drivers can blow mechanically, everything wears out at some point. no argument there. i used the term dirty power as kinda a layman's term, not wanting to lose anyone with technical terms. :p:

Back