Latest mods to the Pumpkin | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Latest mods to the Pumpkin

It's been awile since I've done anything to my Explorer. Here are the latest updates and the reasons behind them.

I'll start with the lighting. I added some rock lights to the front of the truck. I mounted a pair of $15 Harbor Freight specials on the crossmember that runs just behind the steering box on the frame. Holes were already drilled in the perfect spot in each side. Can't beat that kind of service :D

front_lights.jpg
rearlights.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Next up is my new auxilary fuse box. All of those wires were running to the battery terminal and it was a mess. I need to be able to disconnect my batteries from the trucks electrical system quickly in order to use my 24V Readywelder. Once I add my marine connector setup it will be a real simple operation. I plan on making a cover for the new fuse box.

fuses.jpg

Looks great rick! I hate looking at pictures of your truck though...make me even more anxious to do my own sas lol! I think I'll have to check out harbor freight for some lights :)

Later
CP :D

Last, but not least is a new rear bumper. I didn't like having to screw the wingnuts on and off with the old bumper. This new one has a latch on the fuel can carrier and a pull pin on the spare tire carrier. FST was trying out a couple different setups. The hinge for the tire carrier is off of a H2 Hummer. The black part of the hinge was about 5lbs on it's own :eek:
closed.jpg
open.jpg
latch.jpg

Now that is some welding!!! One again the Pumpkin does not disappoint :thumbsup:

Rick, where did you get that aux fuse box? I'm looking to do something similar with my wires.

I found it at a shop in Phoenix called "The Lighthouse". I don't have a number for them handy. They have them available in larger and smaller configurations too.

Damn, that's some beautiful welding in that last pic!

Do I see some rock rash on the new bumper???

Rick, I always wondered why you didn't wrap your bumper around. I like that. I found some of those latches, but the best hinge I have found is a Rockstomper Trailer spindle. Anyway, heres my bumper:Mine

Lookin Good Rick! Did I miss your post on new treads? How do you like the IROKs?

Kirby, I felt if I started by wrapping the bumper I would eventually want to do an exo cage. I just started thinking about connecting one thing to another... So to keep from doing that I just left the sides bare:D

I did post a thread about the new IROKs. I've only wheeled with them once so far, but from what I've experienced I like them a lot both on and off-road.

PAINT THE BUMPER!

hahaha

Rig looks good, you can use a stock Explorer fuse block in the same fashion, it also gives you 4 more ports for relays. :)
I have my ARB relay in the stock box, also my roof lights, and soon to be trans cooler fan relay will be in there. When I run out of space I will add another Ford power dist box, they are really a great design and weatherproof. Also very easy to remove and open up.

Looks like you need to mow your yard ;). I've got an aunt and uncle that live in Scottsdale and I've been there a few times so I know there's not much grass!!

Do you think FST has some extra time to teach me how to lay beads like that? I impress myself some times with my welding, but if the guy who did those saw my welds he would puke!

Looks great though! BTW, what did you do with your old bumper?

Chris

It's up for sale and it has a possible buyer.

Did you post it in the forsale forum, if you did I must have missed it?

It never got that far :D

Haha, alright well I don't know how many are inline but i'll sign up just incase ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back