Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer | Page 29 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 199 has been selected as best answered.

I installed the lift over the weekend. And already got new wheels and tires on it. Very happy with the new look.

I consider myself a pretty handy guy but I have never done a big project in any car. I felt I had the right tools so decided to do it myself.

I went very slowly, making sure I didn’t mess anything up and there is no way to go fast in a garage in Phoenix in the summer haha.

First obstacle was that I didn’t have the right size socket to remove the axle nut which is pretty massive. So I lost a few minutes going to Oreily to get that.

But by far the biggest obstacle was that one of the steps is unclear about which way the front spacer needs to be facing. The text in the direction says one thing and the picture shows something else. I had to call Traxda on Monday and I installed it incorrectly so I had to redo the front to make it right.

Another issue was that the 2 extension brackets for the front didn’t have grooves big enough for the bolt to go through. So I spent about 30 minutes with a file, making the groove slightly bigger (about 1/8” bigger). This is some thick steel and not a very fun activity when it’s over 105 degrees! (I had read about this issues on a review on Amazon, so I was expecting it, but still annoying).

The rest of the project went well, I would say I spent a total of 12 hours to do all 4, and then I spent another 2 hours re-doing the front. Again, this was my first project of this magnitude.

Now for any other DIYers, I would like to share what size sockets you will need so you don’t waste time like I did.

Front

Step2: Axle nut is 32mm

Step 3: Sway Bar End Link is 13/16”

Step 4: Tie Rod End is 13/16”

Step 5: Lower Strut Bolts are 15/16”

Step 6: Upper Strut Mount Nuts 16mm

Rear

Step 1: Sway Bar End Link 15mm

Step 2: Lower Shock Mounting Bolt 18mm

Step 3: Lower Control Arm Bolt 13/16”

Step 4: Steer Knuckle Mounting Bolt 7/8”

Very happy I was able to do it all without breaking anything or doing anything stupid. The explorer looks great now!
How did you adjust the swaybar to strut link? I already broke two links with just the front leveling kit. Hope you can help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How did you adjust the swaybar to strut link? I already broke two links with just the front leveling kit. Hope you can help.
Mine came with extensions. Hopefully you were able to figure it out for yours.

i recently bought a used 2015 ford explorer xlt with 97k miles. It had a lift kit installed at the beginning and 18" monster matte black wheels.. the tires on them are toyo open country a/t 3. 265/60 R18 110T SL BSW.. the tires have 26k miles on them and they are unevenly worn and need to be replaced.. I don't know if perhaps the alignment has been off and that is why the tires are going bad so quickly?
I'm mostly curious/concerned about how the lift kit affects the alignment and that in turn reduces the maximum mileage of the tires.. should an explorer be able to be properly aligned with a lift kit?

the lift kit along with new rims were installed at 20k miles.. i don't have any records for it but perhaps the tires were also replaced at that time??

Anyways I don't have any records of new tires until 70k miles.. so i suppose that the first set of tires used on the lift kit had 50k miles...

I suppose it is possible that during one of the toe link recalls that the allignment wasn't set correctly and that is why my tires are bad already..

Overall i just am looking for a little advice for how i should proceed. I suppose I'll go to an alignment specialty shop first and then get new tires? or is it better to get new tires first and alignment soon after? My explorer drives pretty well on the road..

a question I have about tire size.. i think the lift kit was put on partially to be able to take the larger tires.. (normal tire size is 245/60R18) Could i go back to 245/60R18 tires? I don't really care about this beefy offroad look to my tires.. this is a front wheel drive car and the tread isn't really going to be that helpful given it's front wheel drive. I would prefer to get a tire that drives really smooth on highways and perhaps gives slightly better fuel efficiency.. Anyone have a tire recomendation? I suppose getting smaller tires will look awkward with the lift kit though...

Welcome to the Forum Isaac. :wave:
I don't see any issue in going back to OEM size. Actually, the ones on there now exceed the maximum diameter variance of 3% by 0.2%. Not a big deal. Are you planning on keeping the lift? There have been posts about alignment difficulties with some lifted Explorers.
I think having the alignment checked would be a good first step before putting on new rubber.

Peter

i recently bought a used 2015 ford explorer xlt with 97k miles. It had a lift kit installed at the beginning and 18" monster matte black wheels.. the tires on them are toyo open country a/t 3. 265/60 R18 110T SL BSW.. the tires have 26k miles on them and they are unevenly worn and need to be replaced.. I don't know if perhaps the alignment has been off and that is why the tires are going bad so quickly?
I'm mostly curious/concerned about how the lift kit affects the alignment and that in turn reduces the maximum mileage of the tires.. should an explorer be able to be properly aligned with a lift kit?

the lift kit along with new rims were installed at 20k miles.. i don't have any records for it but perhaps the tires were also replaced at that time??

Anyways I don't have any records of new tires until 70k miles.. so i suppose that the first set of tires used on the lift kit had 50k miles...

I suppose it is possible that during one of the toe link recalls that the allignment wasn't set correctly and that is why my tires are bad already..

Overall i just am looking for a little advice for how i should proceed. I suppose I'll go to an alignment specialty shop first and then get new tires? or is it better to get new tires first and alignment soon after? My explorer drives pretty well on the road..

a question I have about tire size.. i think the lift kit was put on partially to be able to take the larger tires.. (normal tire size is 245/60R18) Could i go back to 245/60R18 tires? I don't really care about this beefy offroad look to my tires.. this is a front wheel drive car and the tread isn't really going to be that helpful given it's front wheel drive. I would prefer to get a tire that drives really smooth on highways and perhaps gives slightly better fuel efficiency.. Anyone have a tire recomendation? I suppose getting smaller tires will look awkward with the lift kit though...
After doing my lift/tires I also got it aligned. I took it to good year and they could not get it within spec the first time because they said that one of the shocks had been turned during installation. Because they could not align it they didn't charge me so I didn't have to pay for it 2 times. The fix for this was pretty simple just remove the shock, turn it, and install it again. I would take it some place like that and get the alignment checked out before considering buying tires.

Yes you could go back to oem if they fit your wheels. (you said they were custom). They will definitely get you better gas mileage.

@peterk9 @ExplorerOverland Thanks for your replies. in the history of the vehicle, one shop said they could not get the allignment in spec. but they said it was "acceptable" considering the lift kit.. I generally think it could be possible they were mistaken, or like you were saying something with one of the shocks was not installed properly.. I suppose the alignment experts could check that! But I do think the tires need changed no matter what.. Yes i will get the alignment checked before buying the tires.. but i am told by the tire service shops that they are worn unevenly and need to be replaced. so I suppose if they say that the alignment can't really be set right and the only way to fix it is to remove the lift then i don't know, I'll probably trade it in without new tires or anything... I for one don't really care about the lift.. but i don't think I want to invest the money to have that removed.. it would be pretty expensive in terms of labor hours right? And i'm not quite a good enough mechanic to do that myself.

Hello everyone, new to the show here.
I just picked up a 2012 ford explorer xlt. I'm looking to get a 3 inch lift in the front, with a 2 inch in the back.

Does anyone know what the largest tires I would be able to run after that's put on with the least amount of rub.

Thanks!!

Hello everyone, new to the show here.
I just picked up a 2012 ford explorer xlt. I'm looking to get a 3 inch lift in the front, with a 2 inch in the back.

Does anyone know what the largest tires I would be able to run after that's put on with the least amount of rub.

Thanks!!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Check out some of the posts here to get an idea of wheel sizes. Good luck.

Peter

Check out some of the posts here to get an idea of wheel sizes. Good luck.

Peter
Hi,
I have a 2014 SPORT 4WD, and I installed 2.5-inch Leveling kit from TRUXXX.com.
I wanted to go with the 3.0 inch, but the technician at TRUXXX and also my personal FORD mechanic said I would run into axle issues.
So, I went with the 2.5-inch kit which lifted me 2.5 inches in the front and 1.5 inches in the rear. My clearance in now over 12 inches with the exhaust being the lowest point.
I changed my tires from the 255/50R/20 to 265/60R/18 with TOYO Open Country ATV3 tires. I had to reenforce the fender wells more to the body to prevent rubbing, and I've had no issues at all.
When I go off road, I keep up with my friends who have Jeeps. I can go wherever they go, except when rock climbing. It handles great in the snow and sand.
Hope this helps. I have a picture in my profile of my Explorer.
Robert

Any rubbing while driving?
FYI, the member who you quoted was last seen here on January 15, 2018, so likely is no longer following.

Peter

lift kits for 2011 explorer?

I am thinking about getting a 2011 explorer but I was wondering if there is any lift kits avaliable I would like to adjust my ground clearance from 7.6 to 9.6 if i were to buy the explorer?
Might be to late now but they have a suspension lift truxxx 2.5” front 1.5” back and have truxxx 3” front 1.5 back. I guess front with 3” in front lvls the suv out maybe. Seen one pic with 5th gen explorer on 35’s but I seen a guy with 33’s but did trim work for them to fit.

Might be to late now but they have a suspension lift truxxx 2.5” front 1.5” back and have truxxx 3” front 1.5 back. I guess front with 3” in front lvls the suv out maybe. Seen one pic with 5th gen explorer on 35’s but I seen a guy with 33’s but did trim work for them to fit.
FYI, that member was last seen here a year ago but the info may be helpful to others.

Peter

I was running 265/65/18 which is about a 31 with no issues with this lift. I went back to factory for fuel economy for now but next time I change I was considering 255/75/18 which would be a 32.5. Definitely think it would fit without rubbing. Every inch you go up on the tire only takes half an inch in wheel well space. I think 33s is possible. I was also looking at the new explorers and they have bigger factory tires. Close to a 32 I believe.

I was running 265/65/18 which is about a 31 with no issues with this lift. I went back to factory for fuel economy for now but next time I change I was considering 255/75/18 which would be a 32.5. Definitely think it would fit without rubbing. Every inch you go up on the tire only takes half an inch in wheel well space. I think 33s is possible. I was also looking at the new explorers and they have bigger factory tires. Close to a 32 I believe.
265/65 R18 vs 255/75 R18 Tire Size Comparison Table with Graphic Visualization (inch difference) Not recommended.
The new Explorer uses the same 255/55R20 tires as the previous few years which are a 31". The 18" is also an OEM tire on some trims.

Peter

Nice. Which lift did you go with 3in or 2.5in? Do you have wheel spacers? How close are you to the metal thing the spring sits on?

My wife picked-up a low mileage 2019 sport this past July.

She has commented that her 3 previous explorers sat "higher", had more ground clearance, and gave her a better view of the road (due to her 5'- 3" height).

Along with that, for winter driving, she likes to have studded tires all around (as we live in NH, USA).

So, this past week, we had new studded tires installed (and went-up 1 tire size). I also had my tire guy install a Truxxx 102015-2.5" Front & 1.5" Rear Lift Kit. So, between the up-sized tires and the slight lift, there is a definite & noticeable difference. She likes the increased road height and the improved ground clearance.

I measured it before & after the lift and the total all around increase is 3" overall (between the increase of the lift and the install of the larger tires).

BEFORE: Her's is the 2019 Explorer Sport on the right (my 2016 Sport is on the left)
2023-08-03 23.40.50.jpg

IMG_20230730_185300012.jpg

AFTER:

IMG_20231121_122902037.jpg

IMG_20231121_121046958.jpg

IMG_2023112122.jpg

I've never had studded tires on any vehicles and they are actually banned in most of Ontario because of the damage they do to the roads. They are fine for hard-packed snow and icy conditions but can also increase stopping distance on bare pavement. I'm guessing they are also quite noisy on the pavement. The only 'vehicle' around here that has studded tires is the Zamboni at the arena. :D

Peter

I've never had studded tires on any vehicles and they are actually banned in most of Ontario because of the damage they do to the roads. They are fine for hard-packed snow and icy conditions but can also increase stopping distance on bare pavement. I'm guessing they are also quite noisy on the pavement. The only 'vehicle' around here that has studded tires is the Zamboni at the arena. :D

Peter

They are legal in NH USA (with no restrictions either on times of the year).
We have them on all 4 wheels, of our (4) different 4WD/AWD vehicles.
The biggest helps are for the icy secondary-road conditions in our rural area, and we have a 500 ft long, uphill driveway.

You do get a slight "hum" when driving, but (IMHO) that is a non-issue for the trade-off of the increased traction control and improved driver safety.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Biggest tire I wanna go is 33”. I sure I can put 35” tires with some cutting to the wheel well. The front I can cut 1.5” out and the rear maybe an 1” but I found some things that i can use to cover up cuts I made to the wheel wells it’s the black rubber stuff that fire trucks have on their fenders/wheel wells. But that’s if I did cut it. I think the stock rims are 7” wide I was wanting 15” bullet hole rims with the 8 holes but I found it in 17” rims just not 18”. Might just stick with the stock rims. And I want 1” spacers. I want my explorer to be fixed up for overlanding. I have a rack on top buts short. I found a 62” or 67 maybe 72 to go on top for $109 on Amazon. I removed my rails to fit my rack. I like the guys expedition on YouTube called kingdom overlanding. He made a custom roof rack for their tent they have on top. And I would like to have the dual swing Reese hitch he has to have a spare tire and you have like 7 attachments you can choose from for the dual swing hitch. It’s like $1000.

Back