Liftgate window | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Liftgate window

Joelionfish

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
Hey guys!

I am having an issue with my liftgate window. It stopped opening. The liftgate will unlock & open fine. But, the window does not. When I use the FOB or the license plate button to pop open the window, it sounds like it tries to open, but then it stays locked. I have searched for a similar post, but I am not finding anything on search results. I am pretty bad with computers- so it's probably user error.

Any help would be very much appreciated- I don't even know where to start.

Its a 2004 Explorer 4.0 (not sport trac).

Thanks!

Good evening and welcome to the forum. What is happening with your rear window, is that the hinges (hinge pins specifically) on top are sagging. This is a very common problem with the 3rd gen Explores. I've replaced mine once already and have the second new set, in the car and waiting for me to put them on. They are left and right (labeled as such) and are not hard to change.

Change them ASAP. If you don't, a pin will break and your rear glass will likely fall out the next time you try to open the rear glass.

Thanks for the reply! Just to make sure, the rear window isn't crooked & the hinges don't look messed up (outside looking in). Would that still signify that the issue is the hinges?

Thanks again guys!

Take a look at the hinge pins, hard to see them as they are too small for the job BUT, if you look at them, are they straight through the portion on the glass and where they go through the other half connected to the main hatch?

Back