Lifting (?) a stock 1999 Automatic 4x4 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lifting (?) a stock 1999 Automatic 4x4

What kind of tire are you going to run?? AT or MT? That also will affect your mileage, my 15mpg is with Mud tires. I would think with a 5in lift that anything smaller than 33's wouldnt look right, but thats just my opinion.

i would most likely be looking at some rugged-looking ATs, and im considering reducing my plans to a 3" body lift and only a 1.5" TT and shackles...idk man this is a tough decision.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Honestly if your gonna do it, do it how you want it the first time. Will be much cheaper that way.

just out of curiosity...i have factory 16 inch wheels, i think they are 7 inches wide but i could be wrong. for the amount i am lifting, should i go with wider wheels or just wheel spacers? wheels and tires are what's going to kill me, i can afford everything no problem until then...damn college.

In my opinion you should get 15x8's. 16" tires are more expensive than 15"s. Dont run wheel spacers offroad, that will eat up your wheel bearing and are known to crack. You can pick up some black rock crawler type wheels for 40-50 ea wheel.

cant find anything about these, would they work on an explorer? it's a 1.5 inch lift which would be perfect
http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs...0000022220310359564&catalogId=10101&langId=-1

i found the WAR153 but they are only 1.25 in lift??

edit: nevermind that link...from what i am seeing the amount of lift i will get varies from 1.25 to 2", so i guess i should install the WAR-153 first, then figure out how much to do the TT?

I've got a 99 sport, and what I did was I cut the 4 leaf springs out of a junked 4 door explorer, and mounted them right up under the ONE leaf spring the a sport has on the back, and did a torsion bar twist on the front, got me a cheap and relatively easy 2.5". I was contemplating doing a spring-over-axle swap in the rear, but that opens a whole can of worms as to lifting the front that high without buying a kit. Also, with that auto 4X4, the brown wire mod works like a dream, Probably the best mod I've done to date. Hope it helps.

alright guys, an update, i just ordered:

WAR153 shackles
PA 883 body lift
4x Pro Comp Mud Terrain 33/12.5r15
4x rock crawler 51 series 15 inch wheels, black

includes lugs, caps, mounting and balancing on the tires
free shipping

$1045 total cost

2007TJsTRUCK0052.jpg

2007TJsTRUCK0041.jpg

2007TJsTRUCK0045.jpg

2007TJsTRUCK0055.jpg

BIG thanks to everyone who responded to this thread, also everyone who wrote guides for the body lift, torsion twist, and shackles. Thank you explorer forum! i wouldnt have even known any of this was possible without this site.

looks good man

looks really good.

hmmm that's an hour and a half away from me and i might be working but i'll see what happens...more than likely i won't be able to make it though. how often do these events happen? I'd like to make one eventually.
Yeah I was afraid its a little far from you.

But typically we hold it between DC and Baltimore so its usually around your area.

The next one will probably be around the holidays or shortly there after.

Very nice looking truck you got yourself. Add another one to the black wheels/stock hub caps club!!

42 - 4.10 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)

what is the difference between non-limited slip and limited slip? i'm pretty sure i understand limited slip - varying amount of power to each rear wheel depending on how they are spinning/slipping. does that mean non-limited is like locking the rear wheels so 50/50 power to each or am i totally wrong?

(i've got the axle code for 4.10s non-limited)

i don't do any serious wheeling, is non limited a problem?

There is no problem with it. Go wheelin' and see how it performs. If you make everything you try, then you don't need one. :)

Of course the limited slip will help and be better, but if you don't need it...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looooose the running boards and it will look a inch or two taller. Trust me.

Back