Lower Air Dam Intake Duct Falls Off / Missing | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lower Air Dam Intake Duct Falls Off / Missing

It is also found on the Ecoboost Explorers and helps to cool the PTU which is exposed to a lot of heat.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Only on 4wd / AWDs correct?

Yes same, but do the 2wds have a PTU?

Hitch should be easy to see :D Nah, don't have it, here is Sticker too;

http://services.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1FMHK8F83BGA58604

We are talking about the flat black metal scoop on the bottom of the car that clips in front under and slightly in back of bumper and heads toward back of engine under car.....the one that fell off on me after the last oil change. lol
hitch would be hiden by a plastic cover. have a good look under back bumper.

hitch would be hiden by a plastic cover. have a good look under back bumper.
Welcome to the Forum Mike. :wave:
FYI, the member you quoted was last seen here on September 11, 2016.

Peter

This thread was incredibly helpful. Thanks all! I just noticed my PTU air duct was missing on my 2016 XLT w/tow package when I went underneath to check for a different problem. I'll ask the dealer for an estimate to replace when I go in for a routine service this week. I still have ESP coverage but don't have high hopes. Cheers!

This thread was incredibly helpful. Thanks all! I just noticed my PTU air duct was missing on my 2016 XLT w/tow package when I went underneath to check for a different problem. I'll ask the dealer for an estimate to replace when I go in for a routine service this week. I still have ESP coverage but don't have high hopes. Cheers!
I doubt that this 'missing' part would be covered by the ESP. Please let us know the outcome. Thanks.

Peter

I have one sitting in my garage that I took off my 14 and forgot to put it back when I traded it in, PM me if interested.

I doubt that this 'missing' part would be covered by the ESP. Please let us know the outcome. Thanks.

Peter
Turns out the dealer "found" an air duct and installed it during my service. I'm thinking the dealer removed it last year when replacing the steering rack (replaced at 70K miles by ESP) and never put it back. I'll take it! Lesson learned to always check underneath before leaving... Thanks all!

Turns out the dealer "found" an air duct and installed it during my service. I'm thinking the dealer removed it last year when replacing the steering rack (replaced at 70K miles by ESP) and never put it back. I'll take it! Lesson learned to always check underneath before leaving... Thanks all!
You can also peek through the hole in front. That's how I found it being held by 2 of 3 twists last oil change.

I just lost mine to a nice size pot hole, glad it's not needed for everyday use. I came searching for the part numbers but gonna let it go for a bit.

I have one from a 14 Limited sitting in my garage, not sure if it's the same as the 15+ but PM me if you may want to work a deal.

Just drove 450 miles of interstate yesterday. Hit nothing I'm aware of. Woke up this morning. Backed my '12 Explorer out of the parking spot. Heard a noise. Climbed out. There on the ground was the duct assembly that rests behind the front air dam. No sign of breakage. Just laying there a bit scraped from contact from the asphalt.

I had the vehicle serviced three days ago (oil and filter, replacement of transmission seal. Any chance they had to remove the duct work to access the filter, drain plug, etc?

So... I've about had it with this car. Anyone know what this component is for? Is the car drivable without it? I could find no parts diagrams online, and today is MLK's birthday, so dealerships are closed. I was to be back on the road tomorrow.

In the past month I've had the car in for the A pillar, MFT, oil leak... and now parts falling off?

If the problems with this Explorer weren't so ridiculous, I'd be crying.

2012 Explorer LTD AWD with 6250 miles on the odo.
My 2015 explorer is also a POS. My air intake fell off too! Wondering if it’s drivable without it. Everything seems to randomly fly off/fall off this vehicle it’s unbelievable.

My 2015 explorer is also a POS. My air intake fell off too! Wondering if it’s drivable without it. Everything seems to randomly fly off/fall off this vehicle it’s unbelievable.
Welcome to the Forum Margo. :wave:
You haven't added the trim level of your Explorer. I believe that the air duct is only on those that have the tow package and/or the Sport.
If you don't have the Sport then it shouldn't be an issue driving without the duct since it is to help cooling when towing.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Margo. :wave:
You haven't added the trim level of your Explorer. I believe that the air duct is only on those that have the tow package and/or the Sport.
If you don't have the Sport then it shouldn't be an issue driving without the duct since it is to help cooling when towing.

Peter
Thank you! I do have the tow package so I will make sure I get the air thing back on before I tow.

Back