4pointslow

Explorer Torture Tester
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gloucester City, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 2Dr,2,000 & 04 4dr xlt
My next project is doing an LS swap to a second gen Explorer. (This has been done by someone else already on here)
If I get to finish this project, it will be topped off with a GT500 supercharger.
Going to something like LS fest with an Explorer and running some respectable time in the 1/4 mile would be fun for me, especially with things that don't normally go together like an Explorer with a GM engine topped with a Ford supercharger.
I am creating this thread to keep track of what I do and what I learn along the way.

To start things off I bought a $500.00 2002 Silverado 4wd drivetrain that came with an engine/trans/tcase, wiring harness and PCM.
I needed something to be able to mockup things like engine mount brackets and see how to fit this in the vehicle.
A polyurethane LS engine(like one from P-Ayr) used for mockup/fabrication purposes is almost $500.00 for just the long block so this drivetrain is already a bargain for my purposes.

IMG_1818.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One of the things I was interested in was learning the GM side of PCM tuning.
I have had to do a lot of reading and watching YouTube videos to get me started, but I have obtained some knowledge to get me going in the right direction.
I am using a free program named LSDroid to read and write the PCM which is called a 0411(12200411) PCM (there are different PCM's but I am using this one so far).
The version of LSDroid I am using is for a PC/Laptop, but it was originally created to use on an Android phone or tablet.
Just wanted to point out that LSDroid for PC has to use a cable to attach to the OBDX PRO at the moment and cannot use the Bluetooth capabilities that the version for an Android phone can. That may change in the future I guess.

I also found programs named Tuner Pro and Universal Patcher that I have been experimenting with. Tuner Pro is for changing things in the tune like turning off VATS (GM's antitheft stuff) and tuning the VE table (and tons of other things) to get the air fuel mixture correct.
Universal Patcher has been helpful in allowing me to see what engines/transmissions are in the tune itself, you could have a 5.3 or 6.0 engine and a 4L60E or 4L80E transmission just for some examples. Universal Patcher tells me which ones are in the bin files (tunes) that I experiment with.
In the GM PCM there are different operating systems, and in those different operating systems there are different segments, which are the tunes (or calibration files) for the engine, engine diagnostics, transmission, transmission diagnostics, fuel, and even speedometer sections.
I was also able to change the VIN to my Ford VIN using LSDroid and Tuner Pro, talk about really confusing people.
So far, I am using operating system 12202088 with calibration segments for my 5.3L and 4L60E, because I found this operating system/calibration combo has an EGR monitor in it which I might need. All the programs I just listed are free, but I think I might end up going with EFI Live for a final solution. HP Tuners seems to be the most common tuning solution, so I am considering them instead but have to do more investigating on that subject.

Here is the GM PCM and some of the tools I am using to experiment and figure things out.
IMG_1989.JPG

Here is the laptop, bench test harness(from EBay), and power supply I have been using for flashing the PCM.
IMG_1994.JPG

A close up of my power supply.
IMG_1996.JPG

Do you have an explorer yet ?

It seems to me that a Blazer would be a good roller for this swap. However the GM PCM application being applied to a Ford 5.0 would seem very doable being as the firing order is the same and the 5.0 has a crank and cam trigger.

Love this! What is the Tamiya/ RC car lug wrench for?

What a score on the 5.3 was it a running take out? As you said you can barely even get a foam mock up engine for that $$$

woohoo! super pumped for this!!!!! following this thread ;)

The LS is one of the few things GM got right. The blocks easily handle tons of power. Someone swapped an LS in an aerostar, it can pull the front wheels off the ground and do the 1/4 mile in about mid 10 seconds

Do you have an explorer yet ?
I have 4 Explorers and a Ranger. LOL.
Been searching for a rust free 1995 two door Explorer but have not found one yet that I could purchase.
So this might be happening to my 98 two door (the race truck).
I have about 2,000 left on a credit card that I hope to have paid off by September and I am completely debt free so then I will start making more decisions from there. Would be cool if I came across a rust free 95 two door in September or October. LOL.

410Fortune, the RC car lug wrench is for the GM PCM harness connector bolt, it works perfect for that. LOL.
I got that idea from JR "The Driveway Engineer"(Youtube), I saw it in one of his videos and I new I had one laying around. LOL.
The 5.3 is beat, it had sat with the intake off and water got in the cylinders and valves. I did pull the heads off and cleaned the rust off with PB blaster, so I could safely spin the engine to get to the torque converter bolts. There are so many different kinds of problems with this drive train that I might just buy a complete running drivetrain from a local yard that lets you hear them run before pulling.
My first big step is when I get to pulling the engine and test fitting this one in, and this drivetrain will work for that.

allmyEXes, I don't like driving Blazers so I am putting it in an Explorer because I like driving them. I had a 1998 S10 Blazer two door for 10 years.
I didn't like the brakes(rear drum), or the "steering box" steering and it was too short, so it was not stable on the highway. LOL.

The transfercase.
It needs to be cleaned up, looks like it fell in the mudd and stayed there for a year. LOL

IMG_2041.JPG

Looking forward to this!! I've joked with @Fix4Dirt 'bout swapping a 5.7 into his X when the time comes! After having a '95 C1500 with 5.7 and 4l60e, loving the power and sound! Though the 5.3 is much more efficient, especially on gas! Think I recall hearing someone else did similar, never saw the thread or anything about it though. Should provide plenty of power to the X!! Doing any power upgrades while its out?

I found out that if you have a 706 cylinder head you should check to see if it is a Castech brand head because they had bad casting issues where coolant would leak into the oil.

I think this is one of them, the emblem between the two rocker bosses is the Castech emblem.
There is a TSB or something from GM, I have found it and read it. I will probably be looking for 862 heads to use instead.
Might just get a whole drive train pull from the junkyard though, we will see. So many options out there. I am staying with drive by cable,4wd and have to have an EGR system. I won't use a Gen 4 LS either, to many things have to be changed and that equals money wasted.

IMG_2055.JPG

Looking forward to this!! I've joked with @Fix4Dirt 'bout swapping a 5.7 into his X when the time comes! After having a '95 C1500 with 5.7 and 4l60e, loving the power and sound! Though the 5.3 is much more efficient, especially on gas! Think I recall hearing someone else did similar, never saw the thread or anything about it though. Should provide plenty of power to the X!! Doing any power upgrades while its out?
I plan on going with a cam, and I plan on installing the GT500 supercharger on it eventually. Got to get it to fit first.
Here is the link to the LS swapped two door Explorer on this forum..

Yeah, yeah, make it fit first! That's a big engine 😂
Though a few made a 4bt cummins fit, so at this point I think about anything can be done to these! Was looking into some superchargers for my 5.7, freaking expensive as crap, so sadly not happening any time soon! But I'm looking forward to see the power ya gain out of that thing once ya work it in there!

Appreciate the link!

Yeah, yeah, make it fit first! That's a big engine 😂
Though a few made a 4bt cummins fit, so at this point I think about anything can be done to these! Was looking into some superchargers for my 5.7, freaking expensive as crap, so sadly not happening any time soon! But I'm looking forward to see the power ya gain out of that thing once ya work it in there!

Appreciate the link!
4BT, 6BT, 300 inline 6, there have been some interesting swaps. I'm interested in seeing this one.

I am hoping that I can just use the factory Ford engine mounts and just use custom engine brackets on the LS engine.
There is a Ranger LS swap page that has a lot of information and most of them use custom engine mounts and have to weld them to the frame.
I am going to try something different.
Got these universal LS swap engine brackets from Dirty Dingo. LOL
They can be ordered with a black powder coat finish, but I didn't realize it so I had to paint them. Maybe I should have waited to see if I need to have them reconstructed first? LOL.

IMG_1998.JPG

I bought them because they are parallel with the oil pan like the factory Explorer mounts need them to be.
Might not work though, but I will have fun testing the fit. I enjoy doing this kind of thing.
IMG_2005.JPG

The brackets slide back and forth which allows for setting the engine forward or back if needed.
IMG_2018.JPG

I think they will work, I have made some really rough measurements and they might just drop right on one of the OEM ford engine mounts.
IMG_2012.JPG

Here is a couple pictures of the brackets and mounts in my race truck. They kind of show how the factory bracket is parallel.
IMG_2024.JPG

Here are the two studs on the factory mount, I hope it can sit on one of them. If it does I might have the bracket redesigned to fit on both.
IMG_2025.JPG

I plan on going with a cam, and I plan on installing the GT500 supercharger on it eventually. Got to get it to fit first.

Go for it, I love swaps but I still hate a GM anything. That was Eric with his 99 Sport, he was among the first to put a 302 into a Sport long before the LS swap. He was the first to swap the Mountaineer grille and headlights to an Explorer I think. He did great work and he was young then.

I love the later model upgrade type of swap, someone on the Corral did his 2nd engine swap to his 1980's Volvo. He did a 302 HO swap first, and a couple three years ago upgraded to a crate motor LS engine, really nicely done.

I think for not racing, a good 2nd gen swap could be one of the late Ford V6's, or maybe harder, the ecoboost 4cyl drive-trains. The 3.7 and 6R80 is the one I'd like to do for my Mountaineer some day.

BTW, that GT500 supercharger, I recently learned that it's a 2.6 liter size. I thought they were bigger, over 3 liters at least.

he was the one with the LS??? i thoight he was the first to do a 347 or something i just remember manual v8 with tons of gauge pods... wow 😂 my memory is leaving me sometimes

So this might be happening to my 98 two door (the race truck).

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah maaaaaaaaaaaan..............

then again, its not my truck therefore i cant tell you what you can and cant do.....but......aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah maaaaaaaaaaaaan!

ahhh man yeah im super excited for this, but cmon! its the race truck, keep it ansleeper! no one expects that speed out of the sohc! get another 2 door thats the solution right there ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll leave the 4.0 badges on the side. LOL
Find me a 1995 two door Explorer in my area without rust and I will do the LS swap to that.
A lot can happen in a couple of months, maybe I will find that 95 that has been just sitting in someone's garage for the last 10 years or something like that. Barn find 95 Explorer LOL. At least I have my title if I find one.

Back