Lucas Oil Transmission Fix | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lucas Oil Transmission Fix

The tranny rebuilders I have talked to explained it this way. Many of the rebuild in a can trans stuff has brake fluid in it. That causes the seals to swell and they continue to swell till the trans locks up. The guys I talked to hate to rebuild these trans as they are extreamly difficult to get apart.

So the main thing is to get an additive that does NOT contain brake fluid. The two products I have read about that will NOT hurt your trans are BG and Lucas. I did use Lucas in a std. trans and was not impressed at all. It didn't hurt but did not improve either. I did have a A4LD stop pulling blow fluid out the front seal on Hotel Rock trail in southern Utah. Stopped and cooled it down and added another quart of fluid. Winched on the steep stuff and drove it back to Moab. The next morning it would not ingauge reverse when first started. After it warmed up reverse worked. Found a shop that sold me a can of BG. I put it in and the trans worked just like it did before the trouble on Hotel Rock.

So stay away form the cheep trans rebuild in a can stuff. If you have to use that stuff to get you home, you can, but the trans will need to be replaced. The Lucas was too thick for me to feel good about putting it in a auto. BG is what I recomend to folks. Seems this is another one of those taste things.

Hope this clears up some of the info that has been posted. MANY additives are bad for your trans and will lock up a quirky transmission fairly quickly. And then they are extremely difficult or impossible to rebuild properly. The only additives I would consider putting in my trucks are BG and Lucas. But I have not had any possitive results from using Lucas. Didn't hurt anthing but couldn't see any possitive results.

Back