M90 rebuild (rudy) | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M90 rebuild (rudy)

well figured i would start a new thread.just a quick background.did the whole build on my explorer but built it using stock head gaskets and head bolts.did it really as a safety net and i just couldnt afford head studs at the time.well to say the least i blew the head gaskets off from it wile i was in the mountains on a forum trip about two years later.

i picked up a 1994 ranger,its got the 4.0 OHV and is a 5 speed 2wd.the plan is to pull the motor out of the explorer and rebuild it.

this thread will basically cover the rebuild and build up of the new ranger.it will basically end up as a street race truck.ive named it Rudy:D:D so let the fun begin.
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

UPDATE
new motor specs
BORE: 4" JE asymmetrical pistons (custom over bore)

20141031_163839_zpso5ifzafx.jpg

RODS: 6.058 Manley (longer rod)
20140226_134243_zpsdapxouhk.jpg

VALVES: IN-1.8 EX-1.5 Manley heavy duty (.150 over)
20160527_114556_zpsiohyyelp.jpg

20140515_162402_zpsftg0qlcd.jpg

20160313_161946_zpswgleqayt.jpg

20160318_160734_zpsxxxpuld8.jpg

Transmission:T5 hybrid from a 2006 Mustang and 93 Fox
HEADS: 93TM HEAVILY ported with custom brass guides and copper gaskets/O-ringed with ARP studs
CAM: 422 Comp cams with 988 springs and Toms custom lifters,push rods and 1.7 roller rockers
Complete blueprint and balanced internals
GM M90 supercharged with one 1" intercooler plates with ASP 8 rib belt conversion. .
pushing 16 lbs of boost with small shot of NOS
Running on E50
Dyno tuned by Dyno Tune Performance outa Virginia using SCT

old thread and pic
3800 M90 Build
ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

and the new 1994 ranger 4.0 OHV 5 speed 2WD with 115,000 miles on it.o and i only paid $1,000 for it:shifty_ey
RUDY
IMG952013032295172932_zps77585c66.jpg

FB_IMG_1545061235211.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry about all that 'clearancing'.
Wow, I thought the explorer engine bays were small.

Yea I knew it was going to be tight and the bay was smaller..when I put my Efan on I noticed it..I also had 3" body lift which helped ALOT..speaking of which I ""may"" put a 1" hockey puck body lift on the truck..all the body mounts are pretty much shot and 1" would give me the clearance I need for second cooler...then just drop my suspension which I had already planned..

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I like that idea. I know its a compromise on the look you are after, but it beats trying to build a hood bulge of some kind. I'm not sure if you would be cutting the frame on the hood, but in the end a small body lift sounds like way less pain.

Funny you would say that...its already been cut and cut even more now than in this picture. .it didnt seem to support anything tho, it only touched in one spot and it was glued not welded. ..

20141011_130305_zps3wuq7goq.jpg

20141011_131041_zpsdol5gvf2.jpg

Well then, you have done a great job on the other body work. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Are you thinking scoop, or bulge?

Well then, you have done a great job on the other body work. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Are you thinking scoop, or bulge?

I dont know yet..its VERY close with both ic, like 3/4" inch or less..for now im just running a single ic.

Ive already decided im not going to run a sohc oil pan because of clearance issues with that..im going to run Tom's girdle with arp bolts..this may alow me to drop the engine and move it forward with the new solid motor mounts I make..that plus maybe a slight body lift..ill see once new motor is done, for now she fits :D

Ill just leave this here while I go change my pants..ill be back...;)

Watch "Gm m90 ranger" on YouTube
Gm m90 ranger: http://youtu.be/ECqFpySj78o

So all seems well for now..im running the small pulley and bypass about a 1/4 way open so it doesnt build full boost, should be around 4-5 lbs.im really risking it because I haven't had time to install my wideband or boost gauges..hopefully I can get them installed this week/weekend..then ill close the by pass..I also have a frame rail fpr that I need to mount.once I see the AF I may turn my fuel psi up some to make the stock 19 injectors to run a little bigger..

But I will say the first drive was very scary. .I had about 2 gallons in the tank and these tires are SHOT!! 1st,2nd and little of 3rd was worthless. .it would just blow the tires off and I havent pushed it past half throttle. .even cruising in 3rd if I hit it hard it would break loose and go sideways. ..I put 10 gallons of 93 in it last night and its definitely better, especially with the tires warm..1st is still worthless and if you shift hard or get on it hard in 2nd it will break loose.3rd is just NASTY NASTY, it pulls so hard you can feel the truck twisting or loading..

I need to try and shorten the throttle cable or find one shorter. Its much closer to firewall so the pedal is VERY stiff and im concerned it will bind..anyone know what vehicle may have a shorter cable?? Like aerostar or maybe a 4cyl model or worse case anywhere that makes or sells cables?? All and all I wish I would have thrown this thing on LONG time ago...depending on how AF looks and how much I can raise feul psi without running rich at idle, I MAY throw the 2.7 pulley on and give it hell... (10psi)

O and I havent seen temps after charger above 110-115* with inlet temps around 90-105* depending if the fan is on..its about 80* here today..I plan to box the filter in with a cold air inlet to it..

Up and running!

Nice job!
I bet that smile on your face got even bigger when you were driving that thing.
Trying to keep it straight on the road may be your next challenge. lol.
Time for some slicks!

http://www.push-pull.com/
These are the guys that made the throttle cable for my other truck. They were very good.

Maybe you can find a better deal on underwear if you buy it by the case.

http://www.push-pull.com/
These are the guys that made the throttle cable for my other truck. They were very good.

Maybe you can find a better deal on underwear if you buy it by the case.

Im told the 3.0 ranger have a VERY short one so gonna check that first..I did bent the mount a little and its easier to push the peddle now, its bearable. ..

I temporarily mounted my boost gauge. .im seeing 22 vacuum at cruise and 4 lbs at 3500 rpms..I was in 3 rd gear so I let off, im sure its got another pound or two for sure..

I also have really or what I call really high air temps..I just peaked at 138* at intake and 128* after with fan on..even with the fan off I was seeing around 120-130* inlet and 110-120* after..so I popped the hood and restarted with the hood open..temps dropped to 110*ish inlet and 100-110* after..checked the water and it was still ice cold..its about 83* outside today so I now something is wrong...felt the tb and intake manifold pipe and they were BLAZING HOT!!! They sit right over the headers and why I feel so strong about wrapping them..on the explorer that pipe and tb was cool to the touch..

Also my broken motor mount is about nonexistent now..the motor rocks pretty bad and the larger pulley is now hitting the hood under tq :(

:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

Wrapping the headers is an excellent idea. That increases the exhaust temperature improving scavenging and reduces the IAT. A win-win situation. That may be the next thing I try.

They absolutely help...my old truck they are wrapped and I can show you pictures of under hood temps and intake temps, they are 10-20* cooler for sure..

my down pipes to cut outs are wrapped with the new titanium wrap, much better stuff than the fiberglass. Speaking of which I plan to rewrap the intake tube with it..

Got all my gauges installed and wired today..im definitely running way leaner than I would want to..idle is pretty dead on if not little high, runs around 14.3-15.3.basically jumps back and forth. ..wot igets leaner and leaner more rpms you go.think I saw around 15.8-16.3 :( i havent heard any detonation yet but i need to mount my frame rail FPR and turn the psi up some and see if that helps..probably going to be next weeks project as I need some fittings and more line.

Notice I ditched the tripple pod and just went with a dual..

20141016_143014_zpsbmgdctlp.jpg

Gauges

I like the layout, everything is in plain site where you need it.
I really like the thing that the big tachometer is in, I wish they made them for explorers!

I like the layout, everything is in plain site where you need it.
I really like the thing that the big tachometer is in, I wish they made them for explorers!
Yea everything is pretty much in view, obviously I dont stare at the tach but it was needed because my red line is above the stock dash and I needed a shift light..the pod is made for a fox body, fits pretty good beside the far back left corner

O and my tuner said he could use my old data to write me a new tune that would be pretty damn close for $100..I may have him do it now and throw in my injectors, maf and small pulley..either way he has to do it for a base tune for my new motor..he said he has it all on file

O and a weekend fall dyno day is coming up soon so we will see what a stock motor with sc puts down..:D

video

What was the blinking at the end of the video? Was that the shift light?
I really like that dual coolant temp gauge for your intercooler setup, I remember seeing it in one of your other threads. I would love to use one of those and play around with different intercoolers and fans to see what ones are most efficient. Maybe next year.

What was the blinking at the end of the video? Was that the shift light?
I really like that dual coolant temp gauge for your intercooler setup, I remember seeing it in one of your other threads. I would love to use one of those and play around with different intercoolers and fans to see what ones are most efficient. Maybe next year.

Lol...I got a text message at the end, it stopped the video. .lol:banghead:

O and what I thought was I was leaning out with higher rpms but today I did some pretty good pulls in 3rd and I was completely wrong..it gets richer..at red line in 3rd it was at 12.8 the other pulls I was doing in 2nd so didnt really have time to look at I was probably hitting red line which kills my feul, thats probably the spike I was seeing..ill see if I can make a video tnight. .it is Friday so maybe I can find a race or two:D

And yea I love that dual gauge. It honestly helps me narrow down where the heat is coming from.gota get that filter isolated. .

Back