May 4th-6th: Huge Run in Northeast Texas - Who's In? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

May 4th-6th: Huge Run in Northeast Texas - Who's In?

GJarrett

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Chief GPS'um and Still Lost Native Texan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EB 4x4 "Herc" RIP
SWFWDA (Southwest Four Wheel Drive Association) will be having their annual Spring Quarterly Run at the brand-new 1,800 acre Barnwell Mountain facility (Gilmer, TX) maintained by the Texas Motorized Trails Coalition. This is the event that many times in previous years used to be held in Clayton, OK.

http://www.texasmotorizedtrails.com/

I will be helping this winter and spring in a few pre-runs and trail building/maintenance on these brand-new trails.

From all accounts it looks like this area is developing into a first-class fourwheelers paradise with trails being built, designed, and rated for all types of wheeling.

Many on our board will not be able to attend Moab later that month and have wished for a central run for those of us in the central areas to attend. What if a whole company of Explorers showed up at SWFWDA's annual Spring run this year?

There's plenty of time to plan, though the nearby towns are small, so it would be a good idea to get hotel resv early. I'd like to hear a little feedback.

[Edited by GJarrett on 01-09-2001 at 08:22 PM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless I wanted to make the run w/ the bike in the truck bed and my tailgate down I would have to hit it on the way down. To bad! I wanted to do a run w/ all ya'll tehas rednecks!

I will definitly be there! I was at Gilmer in November it is a great place, a little small, but lots of trails (they were still building more as well). Some trails run both directions and link to each other so there are many options. It is TIGHT in some places, even J@@ps have to make multiple point turns on some corners. One thing though, if it is wet (like it was in Nov.) it is slicker than snot, so lokers, mud tires and tow hooks are a must, but stockers can run a lot of the trails and still have fun.

Hix- There is a large parking lot that you could leave your bike at while you are running, and if you are worried, I know someone that will be there with a flatbed that you could lock it up to if necessary.

BTW- The area and most trails are open to motorcycles and ATV's as well.

Gearld- If you meet Jack (pres.of JEEPET) & Tina (tan Scrambler) tell them the boys in Oklahoma said Hi and we'll see them at the run!

[Edited by mrboyle on 01-09-2001 at 08:25 PM]

Mike, several clubs have made and sponsored trails there in the last couple of months and will continue to do so, so it is getting even better.

Though many trails are also being designed for cycles and ATVs, that weekened the entire area is reserved and closed for only the SWFWDA run, so it'll all be 4x4's then.

I can easily be there I live in arlington so it shouldnt take me more than 2 hrs to get there. Exactly what days are the events being held. I have not been there yet but how does it compare to shiloh ridge.

For thoes interested in attending here is a link to the Southern High Rollers web site and the registeration /liability release forms for the run.
Dead Link Removed

an hour and a half for me! I would be interested in hanging with the crew. What about the guys that we always go see in the Austin area? Kieth, Rod? Whats up?

hey people

Hey everyone. I would love to make it down there for this run. Is there any campgrounds close to that area? It should be fairly nice weather (hoping) around that time. I've got to get my tow hooks put on, but other than that, I should be ready!! I live in Eufaula, OK. and this would be the first run that I've made!! I have been trailriding around the lake here, but nothing too difficult, so try and be easy on me, ok? Thanks!!

Mike, thanks for the info. I just went to the link and preregistration deadline is March 15th.

Com'n guys lets get a large Explorer showing at this run! The regional quarterly is a major event for this area.

Re: hey people

Originally posted by aintskeered10417
Hey everyone. I would love to make it down there for this run. Is there any campgrounds close to that area? It should be fairly nice weather (hoping) around that time. I've got to get my tow hooks put on, but other than that, I should be ready!! I live in Eufaula, OK. and this would be the first run that I've made!! I have been trailriding around the lake here, but nothing too difficult, so try and be easy on me, ok? Thanks!!

There is camping at the site.

i would love to go, i am 2wd, how difficult are these trails? if they are crazy, would i be able to ride along with someone?

Count me in!

Only 2 Hrs.... Count me in, As soon as I'm running again, I'll kick in and help with trails too. I assume FWD will be doing some work runs etc.

Just pushing my truck around the driveway makes me really miss the trail runs.....

GJarrett,
Count me in too!

Im in

Originally posted by drmoore71
i would love to go, i am 2wd, how difficult are these trails? if they are crazy, would i be able to ride along with someone?

There are some trails that you should have no problem running in 2wd, providing it isn't wet. If its wet the place gets slick. I seriously don't think there would be a problem bumming a ride, in fact I'll save you a seat if you want one.

thanks, mr boyle, i might just be taking you up on that!

I'm in! That's the weekend after my last week in school. I don't know how I missed this thread for so long. Hmmm, how much will I be able to do with my stock height open-diff 2wd? Maybe this is an excuse to get a noslip or locker! I'd kind of given up on it since I'm happy with my 3.27 gears....Besides, if I had 3.73's I'd go through tires like I owned Goodyear!

Anyway, cound me in for now.

Oh, will anyone be camping? Or should I find a friend to stay with? I have many friends in Longview and Tyler.

Alec,
I'll be going up there too. If you decide you don't want to take your Exploder on the trails, you're more than welcome to ride with me!

Cool, as long as you don't decide there needs to be a sheetmetal trade again!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alec,
Yea I don't think we'll be seein' any Caddys out there... :)

Back