Modifications for 5.0 AWD for more hp | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Modifications for 5.0 AWD for more hp

rowekmr

Reaction score
City, State
Chgo, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Limited 4.6 4X4
Hello
I am the proud new owner of a 98 Explorer 5.0 AWD that I use to occassionally tow a 6500# 26' boat. I added Monroe airshocks in the rear and Sensa trac shocks up front. I changed the airfilter when I got the trans fluid flushed. I know about the K&N airfilter but is there a cold air intake like the 4.0's, do they actually help? I was planning on the Walker Dynomax cat back exhaust. What are some other simple mods that will increase hp and efficiency. I dont' want to go overboard (blowers) because I have a Ford extended warranty on it. I don't see Ford headers listed on the web are Torquemonster the only other provider of headers? They seem on the expensive side (maybe low production numbers).

Thanks in Advance,
Joe
rowekmr@aol.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Torquemonster headers are worth the money and I'll score a set myself when I can afford them. Lots of happy people on this site own Bob's handiwork. Yes, they are low production, but the guy only makes them for the V8 for Mounty and Explorer applications for the most part. His customer support is 2nd to none so you get what you pay for.

Intakes do work well and even better with custom exhaust and SCT tuning (via a flasher or a chip). MAC makes the best intake for the V8. K&N doesn't even make a kit for the 5.0.

If money is no object, you can also supercharge. :D

Enjoy that 302. I sure have been and I've owned Explorers with both a SOHC V6 and OHV V6 as well. The 302 is definitely a nice powerplant.

I Have The Mac Cold Air Intake On My 96 5.0 And I Love It. I Noticed Quite A Difference As Soon As I Put It On. I Would Defininitely Recomend That And A Chip Of Some Sort. I Just Programmed My Computer With Superchips And So Far I Love It. Lol

the thing you need the most is the baumann shift kit

26' boat?
gears
brakes & suspension
trans cooling
engine cooling
then power adders IMO
change that Trans and diff fluid often

410Fortune said:
26' boat?
gears
brakes & suspension
trans cooling
engine cooling
then power adders IMO
change that Trans and diff fluid often

Gears-stock 3:73
brakes-stock
suspension-Monroe shocks up front and airshocks in the rear (absolutely no sag)
engine cooling-factory radiator (don't know if they had more than one size)

Hey could you perhaps post some pictures of your explorer towing your '26 boat, that sounds like a sweet looking rig...something i would like to see.

Get a bigger tranny cooler WITH an external fan, deep tranny pan and a tranny temp gauge. Then do the basics: exhaust, intake, chip/programmer.

you guys don't think the baumann is a good thing?

honestly, back when my explorer was actually used (driven, towing the boat etc.) i thought it was my best mod- even after i had done the cam, exhaust, intake, chip, etc. etc.

The Baumann is the best bang for buck. I didn't even think about it when I posted up. Best 100 bucks you'll spend on the truck

DixieOnMyMind59 said:
Hey could you perhaps post some pictures of your explorer towing your '26 boat, that sounds like a sweet looking rig...something i would like to see.

I sure would if I knew how to post them. I took them when I hooked the boat up at the Lincoln dealership (previous boat owner's business) and drove 200+ miles home with no problems. Well for one short leg I accidently left the overdrive on but so far haven't noticed any problems. I have used the truck to drive the boat locally to the ramps to launch and retrieve. Well I did notice one thing...I was pulling the boat out on the ramp and had to stop midway once and noticed slippage when I tried to continue the pull and looked to see the truck was in D2 and put it in D1 and pulled it out no further problem. I thought it didn't matter whether it was in D1 D2 or D so I don't know if that is a problem I caused or was the truck that way when bought or normal.

I thought all AWD have the towing package with trans cooler, etc. I did look and saw a third radiator and didn't know if that was the steering fluid cooler or was it for something else. If someone can tell me how to post them or send me an email and I will email them to someone who can post them for me.

I see this one has been quiet for a while, but I just came accross it and would like to add some info. I think that most, if not all the suggestions as stated are very helpful and worth while.

One thing we've done here at Tech Performance & Engineering is to include ideas to build on after installing Torque Monster Headers, which include most everything stated already. It's called "Add-Ons After Headers"

After installing Torque Monster Headers, these are Add-Ons that may appeal to your more Horsepower/Torque requirements.

Add-Ons: Stage 1

* K&N air filter stock element replacement, or
* K&N Cone element to replace stock Air Box.

* JBA Spark Plug (Ignition) Wires, PN 06239 (jbaracing.com), or your preferred brand.
* Ford Motorcraft Spark Plugs or your preferred brand.
* 2 - MSD, Ford Coil Packs, 4-Tower, PN 8241, or your preferred brand (Accel, etc.).

* Install Cat Back Exhaust System. However, make sure to install a system with back-pressure to include a resonator that will give you the required back-pressure. The stock computer settings (o2 sensors) work better with back-pressure.
Consider, Dynamax, Flo-Pro, or Gibson for systems that have the required backpressure.

These Stage 1 changes, along with Torque Monster Headers, should net you about 30-35 HP and about the same in TQ and should not require a chip change, yet. However, if you install a super free flowing Cat Back Exhaust System and a new MAC air intake at this point, you will need to chip the vehicle.

Add-Ons: Stage 2

* 8 - Bosch Spark plugs, Platinum +4, PN 4458, or your preferred spark plug manufacturer.

* 1 Set of 8 - Nology Spark Plug (Ignition) Wires, PN 014208001, or your preferred spark plug wire manufacturer.

* 2 - MSD, Ford Coil Pack, 4-Tower, PN 8241
* 1 - MSD Digital DIS-4 Plus, PN 62152
2 - Tach Adapters, PN 8912, must be installed with MSD Digital DIS-4 Plus.

* MAC Air Intake System or preferred manufacturer, complete replacement for stock Intake unit.

* 16 - Ford Racing, Roller Rocker Arms, PN M-6564-B351
* 1 - Ford Racing, EFI Heat Spacer, 1" thick, Fits between upper and lower manifolds to help dissipate
heat and significantly increase performance. PN M-9486-A53 This item can be added in Stage 1
without worry of having to chip the engine. You can add another 5-10 hp to Stage 1.

* Exhaust system from the CATs to the rear bumper. Your choice, many ways to do it. If you have more
than 100,000 miles on the vehicle, replace the catalytic converters. Order from Ford.

* Reprogram your computer/engine management system. Contact "http://www.bamachips.com" or your
preferred retailer for your needs. This is a “Must Do” at this point!

These are Stage 2 Changes, along with Torque Monster Headers, should net you about 55-60 HP and about the same in torque.

Add-Ons: Stage 3

* Powerdyne, Eaton supercharger or preferred supercharger manufacturer. Purchase the Eaton from Explorer Express
(explorerexpress.com). They also have loads of other things which may catch your eye.

* Stroker engine: 331, 342 or 347 cubic inch are the most popular. Purchase from Coast High Performance (coasthigh.com), Ford Racing or your preferred manufacturer.

* Rebuild Transmission with shift kit, etc. Baumann makes a great shift kit for the Explorer transmission. This can also be done in Stage 1 or 2. The reason it’s in Stage 3 is because it’s a big ticket item unless you do it yourself.

For more info on our Headers, please refer to the Purchasing guide on Explorer Forum:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147452

|

Attachments

• TorqueMonster_Web_Logo.jpg
    TorqueMonster_Web_Logo.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,384
  • DSC00405.jpg
    DSC00405.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,424
  • DSC00404.jpg
    DSC00404.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,459

oh baby stage III sounds awfully nice..............331 in my future?

Is there a place in this forum where someone has posted dyno figures or track times to document the improvements in performance for EACH of the mods mentioned?

This is what I found...

Dead Link Removed

Besides a firmer shift I am curious what other benefits also, does it extend clutch or band life? Do the firmer shifts damage the drivetrain components? How are the shifts under part throttle and under full throttle?

During all this time of looking I haven't bought anything for my stock 98 5.0 AWD and have towed the boat to several ramps some steep and through stop and go traffic and incredibly on days when the temp was right on 100 F with 3 passengers and their gear on board with the A/C on (on the expressways) I must say I am impressed with the power and durability of this truck although the ride harshness has room for improvement. I will get the boat/trailer weighed when I get a chance to see what I have been actually pulling.

I tow a 22' Travel trailer with a 99 mountaineer in the mountains of California Intake Yes, Cat Back Yes, Chip Yes, Shift Kit Yes, Trans Pan Yes, Monroe shocks but no air yes, Diff Cover Yes, Trans Cooler MUST HAVE but everyone has missed engine OIL COOLER it helps lots, cooler thermostat Yes and Would love to have headers but cost is little high. Now I pass the diesels and all the big blocks like they are standing still even Tioga Pass 9000 Plus feet pulls it can be done and done well. You should look into load distribution hitch if your boat weighs that much the truck is only rated to tow 6600 LBS. The travel trailer I pull is 5600 LBS and the bumper would be on the ground without a load disruption hitch and with the short wheel base look into sway control.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wildbill said:
I tow a 22' Travel trailer with a 99 mountaineer in the mountains of California Intake Yes, Cat Back Yes, Chip Yes, Shift Kit Yes, Trans Pan Yes, Monroe shocks but no air yes, Diff Cover Yes, Trans Cooler MUST HAVE but everyone has missed OIL COOLER it helps lots, cooler thermostat Yes and Would love to have headers but cost is little high. Now I pass the diesels and all the big blocks like they are standing still even Tioga Pass 9000 Plus feet pulls it can be done and done well. You should look into load distribution hitch if your boat weighs that much the truck is only rated to tow 6600 LBS. The travel trailer I pull is 5600 LBS and the bumper would be on the ground without a load disruption hitch and with the short wheel base look into sway control.

My v-8 has an oil cooler,from factory. Engine coolant circulates thru it.
Look where the oil filter mounts, that housing has the lower radiator hose going to it, then a hose from cooler to water pump.

I thought all v-8 explorers, mounties had this???

Back