Modified Ford Racing 4.6 Mustang Throttle Body | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Modified Ford Racing 4.6 Mustang Throttle Body

Based on the photos Al, the same thing from a guy on eBay for $50 + shipping for a 5.0 TB and I didn't even have to send back my original (I still have it). I thought that was a great deal so I sent him my BBK TB for the 4.6 real cheap in return (the throttle adjustment screw was busted on it but he was more than happy to take it off my hands). I wasn't sure what you had done to the TB until you showed me the photos and realized it's exactly what this guy did to an Explorer V8 TB for me.

I saw no increase in MPG on my V8, but at the time throttle response seemed "different". Smoother would best describe it. Maybe a few HP but it's probably psychological to me. I'm never going to get awesome mileage with the way I drive, but I don't care because I love the 5.0. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also know there are no upper/lower intakes available for the SOHC, and I'm betting the stock piece cannot flow 600cfm, so my point is why put a 600+cfm TB on an intake that flows >500cfm?? Seems pointless to me.

Nobody is asking you to put it anywhere :) Thanks for your opinion.

Not pointless to me. I am not looking at WOT operation, I seek gas mileage.

Based on the photos Al, the same thing from a guy on eBay for $50 + shipping for a 5.0 TB and I didn't even have to send back my original (I still have it). I thought that was a great deal so I sent him my BBK TB for the 4.6 real cheap in return (the throttle adjustment screw was busted on it but he was more than happy to take it off my hands). I wasn't sure what you had done to the TB until you showed me the photos and realized it's exactly what this guy did to an Explorer V8 TB for me.

I saw no increase in MPG on my V8, but at the time throttle response seemed "different". Smoother would best describe it. Maybe a few HP but it's probably psychological to me. I'm never going to get awesome mileage with the way I drive, but I don't care because I love the 5.0. :D

Was it just a shaft and screw modification? Or was it bored also?

I can say with my experience, the TB is a very sensitive spot in the intake side of the motor. In other words, just the slightest change can be felt with throttle responce.

Good write up Aldive. Look forward to the stock and modded 4.6 tb comparision.

Was it just a shaft and screw modification? Or was it bored also?

I know he modified the shaft and screw. Not sure how much it was bored. He treated it as porting and polishing job and knows his stuff. Former drag racer and very knowledgeable. 100% feedback rating too and lots of people who swear by his work. Mustangs are his forte and he did an Explorer TB as a favour. I don't even remember where I found this guy. Probably a Mustang site. Probably not as extensive a job as yours, but I spent $150 less and didn't have to cough up my old TB either. :D

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the TB came with a working IAC as well so I'm even farther ahead. :D

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Yup
positive results.
Oddly enough it goes weeeeeeeeeeeeeee at certain RPM's
People keep thinking I have a turbo. No negative results though.

Mine does the same thing on my 2000 sport. I've got a K&N intake and 73mm mas air sensor too. Unfortunately though, I still have stock exhaust. Any mpg gains are negated by my tire selection....

Why would it come with an IAC? Did it come with a TPS?

The IAC mounts on the top of the TB in the 5.0 application:

intake1.jpg

Not trying to diss this mod of yours. You're always willing to try these mods at any cost so more power to you (pardon the pun). Interesting to see how it works for you. After spending $200 on the TB in the first place, I never would have dropped another $200 in modding it. I found such a marginal gain with the TB in the first place that adding another $200 would never have felt right to me. To get a ported and polished and modified TB for the 5.0 for $50 was more my style.

Aldive - the pics shows the calipers reading @ 69.45 MM.

FYI that converts to 2.734"?

69.45 * .03937 OR 69.45 / 25.4 = 2.734

70MM = 2.755 (2-3/4")

I know I was educated in Georgia, but I can do math. :)

Not trying to diss this mod of yours. You're always willing to try these mods at any cost so more power to you (pardon the pun). Interesting to see how it works for you. After spending $200 on the TB in the first place, I never would have dropped another $200 in modding it. I found such a marginal gain with the TB in the first place that adding another $200 would never have felt right to me. To get a ported and polished and modified TB for the 5.0 for $50 was more my style.

And I would never pay someone to work on my truck ....

I know I was educated in Georgia, but I can do math. :)

I didn't really understand what he was getting at anyhow. 69 mm is less than 70 mm so the imperial conversions would pretty much follow the same pattern which is what the conversions accomplished.

Did I miss something? :confused:

And I would never pay someone to work on my truck ....

My mechanical skills aside (or lack thereof), even if I could work on my Explorer with the same skill you could, I just couldn't justfy the expense for marginal gains. That's just me. You're willing to try anything to squeeze out mileage, but according to my calculations, you should be well over 40 mpg by now based on all the mods you've done since I've been on this site. :D

I'm pretty much done modding my 5.0 until I can convince jtsmith to help me with installing TM headers. I'm a lousy mechanic and am first to admit it. Makes economic sense for ME to pay for some things. I can't afford to be without my truck and I'm bound to be without if I attempt some of the big projects (and some of the smaller ones) you tackle. I've saved a LOT of coin by using this site and do as many mods with my own hands that are within the limited abilities.

Strange. Mine never sounded different on my '00 Sport. Any issues with cruise control with the new TB? I could never get mine to hold a speed on anything but flat road with both the Ford Racing and BBK TBs. I've heard there are tweaks, but I never solved the problem before I traded in the Sport.

Al asked me recently in another if I'd come up with a solution.

With the old TB clicking on cruise was seemless. Meaning I would hit the button and it would just lock in place. Now it will drop a few RPM's and I'll just click it up with the accel button.

With the old TB clicking on cruise was seemless. Meaning I would hit the button and it would just lock in place. Now it will drop a few RPM's and I'll just click it up with the accel button.

Yeah, mine would jump around a bit. I'm on the eastern slopes of the Rockies over here and road trips mean going up hills often. My Ex just wouldn't hold it's speed on anything but flat sections. Using the OEM gasket thingy definitely helped things. It was only a matter of time before I solved the problem but then I got the Eddie. :D

Guys - What I was getting at, which no one in here caught, is that you measured the 70MM TB, after it had been bored out, and came up with a bore less that 70MM. How to you suppose that happened?

I re-read his original post and he said that the TB was NOT 70 mm through and through. The section he was measuring was closer to 65 mm to start.

Al- not doubting your info at all, I just hate type and biased 'facts'. The company thats modding the TB's is the one giving me the dyno data just doesn't do it for me.

I find it hard to beleive this little 4.0 needs 600cfm at wot... I've done tons of mustang testing and dyno work over the years and it was a waste to go above a 65mm TB on all but a totally built 5.0, dyno proved that many many times. The stock mustang TB could flow right around 550-600cfm and that was plenty for a larger, higher revving engine.

I also know there are no upper/lower intakes available for the SOHC, and I'm betting the stock piece cannot flow 600cfm, so my point is why put a 600+cfm TB on an intake that flows >500cfm?? Seems pointless to me.

I can't say what this SOHC will flow but I will mention one thought. Have you seen the size of the intake ports and exhaust ports. As well as the valve size. These little engines move some air. As with all SOHC engines. Back in the early 5.0L days we were only using 65MM t/b's then when the customer stepped up to 70MM's he really had something. But usually that was the last thing he did. One last thing to remember is that the little 4.6 "cammer" flows more air than a 5.0L stock just a more efficient engine,the whole mindset has changed since the pushrod days. I bet mine flows more than 600cfm!;)

just said it was all the way thru. guess I'm confused now. Oh well...

Just curious on what TODDZ is boring these things to. Looks to me like he's doing a port job and milling out the shaft/grinding screws....

Seems like a LOT of money for this.

I'll do the same for anyone for 100 bucks. who's first?

Ha ha. I'm not even going there. I already got shot down when commenting on the "value" front. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Couldn't agree more jakee! Seems like a lot of cash for some simple work.

I wish I had the money to throw at one just to see EXACTLY what they are doing, maybe I'm missing something or this place is just raping folks. I plan to try this myself this weekend, just to see if it was hype or fact. I will open the intake manifold up to a 70mm opening and then I plan to bore the TB and half-shaft the throttle shaft as well as grind the screws flush and loctite the whole thing. May even get the polishing wheel out and really shine up the ID and plate just to see what it does. ;)

I'm thinking minimal throttle response gain at the most. I just wish I had a dyno close to do some true unbiased comparisons. There were buddys of mine around here when we all used to have mustangs back in the day telling me a 75mm TB on their stock 5.0 was good for "tons of power" come to find out the throttle springs on the BBK was a good bit softer and they perceived to have more power due to the blade opening faster and with less effort. ;)

Back