Modified Ford Racing 4.6 Mustang Throttle Body | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Modified Ford Racing 4.6 Mustang Throttle Body

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If power were my thing, I would visit the local dyno after each mod, followed by a trip to the drag strip.

Since mileage is my goal, I make long ( 1000 + mile ) road trips.

I like data ....

Why don't you guys just by the 70mm MAC TB from Hensonperformance.com for $129. He is a board member who owns the White Turbo sport and a dealer of performance parts.

The MAC is already ported and polished to 70mm and I believe the shaft and screw thing is already flush. Its brand new for $10 less than Zabtech.

Build quality is supposedly excellent.

BTW how do you port the intake plenum?

Jakee- What do you mean enough flow?

I thought the increased CFM was supposed to give 5-8 rwhp?

Are you doing something different that would change this?

BTW does anyone know what that comb thing behind the TB is for? Can I get rid of it?

Much Abligde

Why don't you guys just by the 70mm MAC TB from Hensonperformance.com for $129.

Yes, indeed, James is a good guy; I meet him at a dyno facility in B'ham and have talked with him since then.

I know nothing about this Mac TB and I already had the Ford Racing one ( am was very pleased with it ). It too was advertised as a 70 MM TB. I would love to see the actual measurements of the Mac and I seriously doubt that the shaft and screws are modified. Further it does not come with a TPS.

I guess I shall have to order one to see.

The Mac TB is shown below ....

Attachments

• mac tb.jpg
    mac tb.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 886

With the comb looking gasket, what you do there is cut the combs off

That's what I did when I ran the Ford Racing TB on my Sport. No issues noted.

Al, does the Zabtech come with a TPS? I did not know that it did- I guess that would make it the better value.

Also have you removed the comb things from the TB spacer?

Thanks

Al, does the Zabtech come with a TPS? I did not know that it did- I guess that would make it the better value.

Also have you removed the comb things from the TB spacer?

Thanks

I sent my TB to be modified; when you send a core, you get back what you sent.

My bet is the combs are there to straighten airflow entering the plenum, turbulent air doesn't distribute evenly as straight air does. I seriously doubt it makes much difference though, then again ford engineers saw fit to design it and use it on all SOHC motors so...

Makes sense Al, we all know ford (and any manuf. for that matter) doesn't want us to hear the slightest amount of intake noise. :)

I was seriously interested in trying this thing. They claim 8-10hp at the wheels for $95 not bad. It made by Street and Performance Electronics of 100% Billet aluminum.

I was seriously interested in trying this thing. They claim 8-10hp at the wheels for $95 not bad.

Like Al asked, you're joking, right? Sometimes sarcasm gets lost in here. :confused:

I'll make you one out of recycled soda cans. It won't be as pretty, but for $10 less, it makes just as good of a paper weight.

They are crap.

I guess this product ranks right up there with the Intake Snake and the Tornado- guaranteed milage increase of 2-3mpg.

:bsnicker: Crapola....

BG 44k fuel additive is better than Techron, though it is $22 per can?

Al, Just wanted to step in and thank you for your business, I am interested in the MPG results my self.

Hello to all the other members here.
I would like to say a few things since I have been reading what you all have had to say.

First
Thanks AL,
Nice write up,

What I have seen commonly missed about modding throttle bodies is that it is not the max flow the TB can Handel, it is how much more air you can get in at less of a throttle position.
Also it makes it easier for the engine to get that air in. Since the engine does not "suck" air in and it is the low pressure created that flows the air, if you make it easier, it will flow more. unless you s/c or turbo.

I did this mod because the 4.0 ST motor and 01-03 Rangers have a Plastic throttle body and it is too thin to bore larger. ALSO it is the exact same bore at the intake so going larger is pointless, But shaving the shaft and the new screws makes the difference on our Sport trac's and rangers.

Some other things are that the Mustang and earlier explorer parts are a dime a dozen, it is hard to find a ST throttle body as a core so I came up with the core system. It costs around $65-80 for a used ST throttle body from junk yards. unfortunately it is expensive to run and start up a small business..

The comb on the spacer gasket is there to straighten and quiet the air flow into the engine, BUT it is NOT used on the sport trac or ranger 4.0 with the plastic Throttle body due to the design and shape of the opening of the plastic throttle body...

EDIT: I saw that a member bought a ST motor with my Tb on it, I have a complete record of customers and all of them are still driving there ST's So that one must have been modded by the owner, not me..

And those spacers are junk, they only restrict air flow on a port injected engine...
The other thing is there is no replacement TB like a ford one or some other cars TB that can be easily modified to fit the Sport trac and ranger. The IAC system is completely different, so this is really the only way ST owners can get themselves a few extra HP and nice throttle response.

Thank you for your time in reading this and letting me post my reply..

Todd Z
www.zabteck.com

Well, just for the heck of it I went ahead and pulled my TB off this weekend and did some reworking. I started by cleaning it up really well, removed the butterfly and half shafted the throttle shaft. Filed and flushed the screws, polished the shaft and even smoothed the edges of the butterfly. Move the TPS as well to get as close to .99v as I could.

Had the batt. cable off the whole time so the EEC was good and clear. First thing I noticed was the idle was up from ~500rpm in park to around 900rpm now and the idle was noticeably smoother (always new it was idleing too low) I did also notice a slight bit more throttle response and SOTP feel when coming down on it to pass. But overall it took me an hour to do and wasn't hard at all.

Would I say its worth it?----------- if you do it yourself, yea why not.

But pay $200-300 for it, NOPE.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pixel,
I don't quite get what your asking ???? and Yes s/c and turbo trucks are quick ...
I dont think my 4.0L with 228 at the rear wheels aint too shabby....

Green98 it is great that you have the ability and the know how to do that sort of thing...
Also remember the most I charge is $235 including shipping , insurance, NEW water jet cut throttle plate and screws. On a Sport Trac Plastic Throttle Body the total cost is only $135.....
Cant be that bad of deal with close to 50 of them sold , more on order...

OHH and for the 07 Drive by wire where the 70MM tb are well over 300 bucks for the Sport Trac, mine still will be $235 or cheaper...

Remember This mod was not started for the aluminum TB explorer, but the Plastic TB sport Trac....

I wish you all the best of luck..
Todd Z

Back