Most Flex possible

colindo94

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Cameron Park, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' XLT
:) I like my TTB suspension because its different than the normal IFS or SAS. I Just want the most flex possible with my front end. I already have 5.5in superlift. I know I need extended radius arms, but what else can I do to get really flexed out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unhook the sway bar. You can get 17 to 18-inches of wheel travel if you have the money and time. Search this site for cut and turned beams. I believe Camberg makes a kit, there a couple others. I would make sure you have the need for that kind of suspension before you jump in with both feet.

longer ra's, softer coils. ttb coils are very very stiff.

build your own radius arms, or have someone build them its going to be a lot cheaper since you basicly just extend the stock ones.

longer brake lines, add sway bar quick disconnets, longer shocks, new softer coils

the list goes on

zimexpmed.jpg

Whole lotta TTB flex

Have you bothered to check out the Zimmerman Explorer featured on this site?

http://www.explorer4x4.com/zims.htm

You did ask for the most flex possible; that's probably as close to it as you will find.

What are some coils you suggest for the lift I have already?

6" skyjacker coils, 5.5" early bronco(66-77) lift coils

The Superlift 5.5 coils will flex just fine, they are a bit stiff for the ranger, sport, BII but in a 4 door ex they are pretty close.
You can try softer coils like the Skyjacker 6" but expect more like 4.5" of lift when they break in.

The sky is the limit with the TTB given your ability and budget.

A 5.5 Superlift with extended radius arms, brake lines, rubber bushings, and no sway bar will be limited in flex by the coils and then just after that the factory inverted Y steering.

Your next step is extended arms, you can pick up a set of Skyjacker or Superlift extended radius arms used quite cheap, alot of people sell these kits when they get rid of their aging truck or move up to something better like a custom beam TTB setup or a solid axle.

20+" of USABLE wheel travel is possible with the TTB, even more with some of the wider setups (extended beams)

A simple drop bracket kit like you have it limited, you can get 12" or so from what I have seen with a kit like that, don't let that number fool you 12" is alot of wheel travel, 16"+ is extreme wheel travel. Custom modified beams are required for travel numbers like that, because there is only so much you can drop the pivot and correct the alignment

Custom beam kits can get expensive REAL fast, wheel travel + independant 4x4 supension = big $$$$$$$$$, even if you are building it yourself custom axle shafts, ball joints, pivot points, steering, etc gets expensive fast.

LT Kits and beams are available from several off road fabricators
Check out Mcneil, Autofab, Camburg and more
DifBeam.jpg

codesf03steer.jpg

kecks-offroad-pics-004.jpg

This explorer forum has ALOT of info on the TTB, this question has been asked many times. By searching for custom beams, cut and turn, ttb, etc you can read all day.

The setup I built years ago and run now on my BII (with some friends) is real similar to the Zimmerman mod listed above. We cut and turned the beam and extended the wheelbase 1"+ on each side, this required a custom axle shaft on the passenger slip yoke.
2893waterfall.jpg

The factory steering was limiting my travel in this picture:
2893slaughter1.jpg

Modified beams come in a few stages:
-a simple cut and turn (so you cna use less drop bracket with more coil and still align camber)
-ball joint re-location (to use little/no drop bracket with 4-6" of lift coil and still be able to get aligned)
-a combo of both
- Then there is extending the beam
extending the beam is usually done after the radius arm mount, 4-5" is a good number, this will increase your front track width 8"+ and requires custom outer axleshaft for both beams $$$$$
-A combo of all of the above on extreme setups.
Beams are trussed/box, clearanced, for strength and travel
custom ball joints, uni-ball pivots and mounts, heim radius arms, coilovers (long travel sway bars, they have all been done with the Dana 35 and Dana 44 beams.

A basic understanding of the TTB and how it atricultes is the place to start when looking for wheel travel, watch it work on your/friends trucks, remove the coils and shocks and cycle your suspension, you can see what is limiting travel.

The stock TTB handles like crap compared to a well built long travel setup, I am talking NIGHT and DAY.
A drop bracket kit like your Superlift is only re-locating the stock geometry lower to fit bigger tires. Any improvment in ride comes from new bushings, coils, shocks upon install. As I said the next step is radius arms, they will make your truck feel like a different animal, a HUGE improvement. But then with your new travel the stock steering setup will exaggerate the bump steer = the TTB's biggest downfall.

You need to put the steering in phase with the beams to eliminate this 100%. check out Paul's Explorer on this forum, he has a front TTB setup that includes many of these things.
http://www.explorer4x4.com/explorer_video/paulraw_clip.mpg

Research is the key to building or maximizing travel

Thanks a lot for all the information 410 fortune. I will research all the information you gave me and see what I can do. Ill keep you posted.

So with these companies you mentioned... Can I give them my ttb and have them cut them and do all the fab work to fix my camber. Did you do all work on your BroncoII?

so from reading some info on the information you gave me this is what I came up with.
With the lift I have now I can get extended radius arms, brakelines, softer coils, and new steering like the superrunner steering to correct the bumpsteer. yu say this would allow about 12 in of wheel travel. All this is pretty expensive so this is the big question.
I can get smaller drop brackets, cut and turn the I beams, extended ra's. And get even more flex and you say better handling on the road. This seems like the better route to go. The only thing is .....
Who can I take the beams to to get them cut and turned??? and I really have no idea about how to go about this route.
So I guess what I'm asking is how do I go about the new suspension. what do i have to do? how did you do yours?

Thanks for all the help

PS where in CO are you? My mom and bro live in snowmass.

I have a spare set of Dana 35 axle arms if you'd like a set to to play with cutting and turning. PM me if you are interested. I'll let them go cheap. I'll also strip them down to bare arms to save on shipping.

Glfredrick
OH so now you post up your spare beams, dont you know I collect these parts? hahahaha Teasing I actually have two sets in the crawl space right now I think, I am planning to build some new beams for the bronco in 2007.

Colindo94,

Yes I built the beams on my truck with the help of my friend Brett, he was pretty much the brainchild of the project, together we built about 4 sets so far, for our two trucks hahahaha a bit of trial and error.

The reason for doing a cut and turn on the beam is to eliminate the drop brackets for the axle pivots, they are considered the weak point of the TTB bolt on suspension kits. If you look at my truck pictures above you can see I am running a 2" Duff drop bracket at the beam pivot (blue) and a 6" Skyjacker coil (red). The Skyjacker and Superlift kit come with 4-6" drop brackets to locate the beam down that far.

So if you are considering some custom beams with the camber/caster correction built in you will want to get rid of the superlift drop brackets, but it will be difficult to run 6" of lift coil (5.5) with stock pivot brackets (LOTS of cut and turn built into the beam) This is why companies like Autofab will also re locate the ball joint, so you can run 5"+ of lift coil with stock height pivot brackets.

Easiest way to see this:
You see how fab shop beams run at such a steep angle (more ground clearance)?
Then look at your TTB, the beams are almost parralell to the ground.
You can buy stage I, II, and III kits, or just bare beams.
I see them used alot on the dezert boards, but you must be really careful, this can be a rats nest if you dont know who built them, how much alignment correction is built in, how wide the axles hafts need to be (custom shafts = $$$$, 200 each or so typically), etc

My current setup will be for sale in late 2007 :) I am going wild from mild

Since you already have the Superlift kit, I would get some extended arms, check the brake line & shock length at full droop and bump, address the steering (pitman arm at the very least) and see what you think. This will be 10-12" of wheel travel from a well setup kit.

Once you get the new extended arms installed you can remove the shock and the coil and cycle the suspension. You will want to locate your bump stops so the diff does not hit the drop bracket driveshaft clears, etc, re-locate brake lines to allow full flex, measure for the shocks, and limit the droop travel with either a J clip on your coil bucket or a limit strap to keep the steering/ball joints, u joints from binding. Install the coil and measure again without the shocks (this is what RTI ramps are used for) measure the shock length you will need. The key here is maximizing the travel out of the setup you already have, alot of people never do this and their "kit" may be lacking several inches of travel they may easily be able to get by re-locating a shock, or clearancing a U joint or passenger beam, etc. Then go wheel the crap out of it and see what you think.
If you still think you need more then that and want alot of flex and a better ride while keeping the TTB (solid axles work great under these rigs for alot of wheelers) then consider stepping up to some custom beams/steering or your build own. I say this because you already have the 5.5 kit and if you get some extended arms, you will see a big improvement. Also I have seen what a James Duff, Skyjacker or Superlift drop bracket kit can do on the trail and they will get you alot of places and ride well if setup properly.

I agree with Jamie ^^^. There is a LOT of travel in the TTB setup without even going to extremes.

I'm getting more than 12" on my own setup without drop brackets, cutting or turning, etc. Of course, my parts are sort of loose from wear, but I'm getting more than I ought (travel wise) with no serious problems.

I found that shocks and free length of the spring (brake lines) were the main limits on travel, so I addressed those issues.

I'm running 1979 F150 4" lift springs, F250 shock mounts modified to take a stud shock (have an extra set for sale!), 2005 Dodge 1 ton, 4x4 shocks (long!) and Super Duty brake lines. I'm getting around 16-17" out if this setup.

Not even close to full droop in most of these pics. And yes, I do have issues with the steering, but only at full droop.
15014Front_flex.jpg

15014Explorer_Flex_2.jpg

top_of_carb_hill.jpg

Thanks this is a lot of help. Glfedrick If you arn't running drop brackets or cut and turn, how are you getting the 4 inches of lift with the coils?

I found super runner steering for a bronco II for pretty cheap. Will it work on my explorer?

Thanks this is a lot of help. Glfedrick If you arn't running drop brackets or cut and turn, how are you getting the 4 inches of lift with the coils?

I'm not. I'm running 4" lift coils, but they are much softer than the Explorer coils (like 300# instead of 550#) so I loose much of that lift, but I do gain the droop.

I'm probably at around 2" of actual suspension lift overall. I'm also running a 3" body lift and some amount of sawsall work on the wheel wells. I don't care at all about sheetmetal, so I just hack away what is in the way. :D All its there for is to protect me from the elements and the mud holes I sometimes find myself in.

Out back, I'm running longer shackles (home built, free-swinging -- no center bar to connect them = better flex) and a BDS thin AAL with no factory overload spring with 6" over Ranger shocks. It flexes real well, as you can see in the pictures.

colindo94, The front ends on all the Ford TTB stuff is the same, except that some of the early Rangers had the lighter dana 28 axle. It will fit.

correct they only made 1 Superrunner steering kit, any Dana 28 or dana 35 TTB ranger based truck has the same front end as fas as mounting points, steering box, engine cradle, are concerned
84-90 BII
84-97 ranger
91-94 Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was just looking at my last picture and laughing...

I bunny-hopped the top of that hill. It was so steep and nasty that my wife refused to even take video of me going up. She caught one as I popped over the top from where she was hiding, behind a tree. The guys that watched me do that said that they had never seen an Explorer 4 feet off the ground -- straight up and down -- before. :D

Imagine a 200 foot hill, at around a 45% grade, with stone steps running cross-hill at all sorts of wacky angles - with a straight up 3 foot step at the very top and you sort of get the picture. More typically, we get someone upside down and spend half the afternoon winching.

Back